Bego is a wimp

crux

peekey

Im not suprised it flew awfull with lines that far out!!

Glad youve got it sorted , I did'nt get a chance to measure my setup this weekend what with the weather being pants , and other stuff but did get chance to sort out my line sets so i now have 2 * 25m Ozone sets(2 lots of 4lines) that are within 2mm of each other the 30m and 20m sets were spot on to start with got to love Ozone lines,

All i want now is some nice low wind DRY days so i can carry on tweaking my setup ,

eventually i'll settle on a setup that i really like and that will be it but untill then I think the odd tweak here and there is still called for

Will have it all mesured up this week even if i have to take it into work and spread it out on the workshop floor

Looking forwarf to the photos,

Andy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have even that excuse - I have flown mine three times from Friday to today (Mon) and forgot to take a tape measure out each time! I did have a good look and I will measure the distance from the power ring to the knot on the leader. That's the only measurement I can see being of interest because anything to do with the lines depends on too many variables, such as the lines, the handles, the way you hold them etc. You just have to make sure they are equal and then play with the main-brake relation until you feel you are getting the most power. I have played with one inch changes on the brakes and it made a big difference, so I am sure Al @ Gruntys set mine up just about right in that respect.

All the other bridle lengths are factory set aren't they?

i have had no problems with my bego, the day it arrived i went up the local rec and flew it straight out of the bag, just like i did with my Bullet.

ever since it just seems to get more and more powerfull every time i take it out. i gotta agree with some of the other posts, there isnt really a "getting into the bego" either you can fly it or you cant. although with practice you can get a lot more power out of it than at forst.

my kite is set up exactly how it arrived from alistair at atmosphere kites. so if you got any probs i would suggest ringing him.

one thing that you may find gives you an awful lot more power (this is really obvious) is that my bego 600 is far more powerful higher up in the window than down nearer to the ground like my Bullet. i never realised this the first few times i took it out.

Id agree that he most useful dimention at the moment is the power ring length (well to me anyway) but as people keep saying line lenghs are an issue

To the peole who got there kites setup for them at the shops the setting used are (going to get slated for this i think) proberbly roughlly the same for each bego ie knot in handle at distance X, knot in leader X from bridle I realise these are just base settings and that after that it's down to individual prefrence, flying style but the info could be useful in compiling a rough guide / trouble shooting

after all the dealers dont know how you will hold your handles / or your prefrences

just a thaught?

Andy

Ps Hope you lot have been into the beach Zone and lent your support to the Pendine thread

Power ring offset length is important but also we have found that high and low positions have some cool changes. We have found that:

1) High ring connection(right at the top,bridle junction) and short offsets( around 5 to 6 inches). This setting seems to have the most lift. Above 10mph wind is where this setting has real good pop and float. Seems to slow the kite down quite rapidly when brakes are applied lightly(basically lighter than the lower power ring setting) but still keeps good inflation and shape. And will easily reaccellerate without a hiccup or stall. Handling is very nimble with possible oversteers and unwanted spins(this comes under control very quickly but will catch you off guard at first). This setting is what I use for static flying, Jumping, kiteboarding, snowkiting.

2)Low ring connection(as low as you can go) and long offsets( 7 to 9 inches). A bit speeder than the high ring setting. Handling is less radical, kite tracks much better than higher/short setting. This setting, performance wise is not much different than "no rings" but this setting has better brake feel/control than "no rings". Still has good pop and lift but not like the higher/short setting. Most folks here like this setting for the lighter wind range. This setting is what I use for light wind static flying, buggying and long distance enduro snowkiting.

Plus in the middle of these two setting flys real good too. Giving you close to the best of the other two settings. IMHO most folks will like this setting(about halfway to 3 quarters of the way down the powerline bridle leader and about 6 inches of offset)

I don't so much like this kite for what it is. I like for what you can make it.

We have just started playing around with fixed adjustments of AOA. This kite can be very fast or it can actually have a little more lift. But I can't say any more till we really get it all worked out.

By the way power rings suck compared to the Ronstan kite pulley(we get them here for 3 euros). 5 grams of weight and good to 660lbs. They are so smooth. Actually these pulleys are what makes the high postion work. Regular rings in the high position hang up the brake line a little.

Power ring offset length is important but also we have found that high and low positions have some cool changes. We have found that:

1) High ring connection(right at the top,bridle junction) and short offsets( around 5 to 6 inches). This setting seems to have the most lift. Above 10mph wind is where this setting has real good pop and float. Seems to slow the kite down quite rapidly when brakes are applied lightly(basically lighter than the lower power ring setting) but still keeps good inflation and shape. And will easily reaccellerate without a hiccup or stall. Handling is very nimble with possible oversteers and unwanted spins(this comes under control very quickly but will catch you off guard at first). This setting is what I use for static flying, Jumping, kiteboarding, snowkiting.

2)Low ring connection(as low as you can go) and long offsets( 7 to 9 inches). A bit speeder than the high ring setting. Handling is less radical, kite tracks much better than higher/short setting. This setting, performance wise is not much different than "no rings" but this setting has better brake feel/control than "no rings". Still has good pop and lift but not like the higher/short setting. Most folks here like this setting for the lighter wind range. This setting is what I use for light wind static flying, buggying and long distance enduro snowkiting.

Plus in the middle of these two setting flys real good too. Giving you close to the best of the other two settings. IMHO most folks will like this setting(about halfway to 3 quarters of the way down the powerline bridle leader and about 6 inches of offset)

I don't so much like this kite for what it is. I like for what you can make it.

We have just started playing around with fixed adjustments of AOA. This kite can be very fast or it can actually have a little more lift. But I can't say any more till we really get it all worked out.

By the way power rings suck compared to the Ronstan kite pulley(we get them here for 3 euros). 5 grams of weight and good to 660lbs. They are so smooth. Actually these pulleys are what makes the high postion work. Regular rings in the high position hang up the brake line a little.

Ronstan Kite pulleys heh?

Any idea where we can get them mailed to the UK Blazingskibum - these sound good.

Dinghy sailing shops have them - £3 - 8 each according to where you go

Just out of interest rayens - is there a reason you supply with rings rather than these pulleys? Is it just that's what they come with, or is there a negative side for pulleys in your opinion?

Heavier pulleys with wider sheeves like the Harken micro blocks tend to tangle a bit. But with the Ronstan Kite pulley I have not had a tangle or any type of brake line hang up. Even if they did tangle once in a great while they are so smooth it is worth it. You just get a better feel when using the brakes.

We have gone back and forth with rings and pulleys and the pulleys have won out.

Ronstan Kite pulleys heh?

Any idea where we can get them mailed to the UK Blazingskibum - these sound good.

I picked up a pair in a boat shop I happened to pass by a few weeks back (Hobbs Chandlers in Henley) for £2.85 each, I guess they're available anywhere that does boat stuff. Haven't tried them out, as I bought a few pairs of stainless steel 1/2" rings too, and these work fine on the Bego (at least on 10" power lines in the 'bottom' setting BSB describes).

Added 10cm Power rings to my bego 600 that I found at a bait and tackle shop figure that the weigh about 1gram/pair. Attached the rings to the first knot in the main lines from sail and connected main lines down at the bottom knot. Having donw this the kite will fly very well in low speed winds

Took it out today to dial it in some more with winds in the 5-10mph range, ended up having a really fun time flying it. Then the winds got switchy (blowing south to north then north to south and back agian) not enough to pack it up, but very annoying. Wind then switched yet agian straight out of the west a nice 10mph for a few miniutes working it self up to 20mph, gusting up to >25mph. Unfortunatly I was having to much fun with the kite in early on and was still flying when the 20+ winds hit. I have never been dragged on my butt so far before. This was only part of my ride it ripped me up off the ground from a seated position, not sure how high or far but I was airborne. Landed in a semi PLF running mode then back to seated for several more yards. While it was quite a ride and very fun I decided that it would be best if I did not relaunch and pack it up for the day.

So the Bego is not a wimp, just requires some fine tuning to get it to work right. Unfortunatly I'm the local expert on flying these foils, by default, and still have much to learn.

Now when flying solo the kite is steaked down before launch, but how does one get back up wind when the wind suddenly kicks up and you go for a ride?

Now when flying solo the kite is steaked down before launch, but how does one get back up wind when the wind suddenly kicks up and you go for a ride?

Land it (crash if necessary), then drag its sorry ass up the field by the brake lines :D