Buggying with small kites?

aerostef

We went to Weston (Uphill) this saturday... Surprised we were the only one there in the morning. Strong winds, up to 33mph.

First we only took a Flexi Orbit stunt out, then an HQ Symphony 1.4m. We broke the lines which couldn't handle this wind so we used the lines from a Blade 4.9 with handles... And yes we did buggy!

It was surprisingly fun. Quite easy to work because of the small size. It goes downwind very well and we managed some ok speed...

I was disappointed I don't have a small kite, because I wanted to get out flying yesterday. Butser Hill was blowing 17 to 30 mph, and some chap was getting chcuked about by a ProTeam 8 or Super 10. Then I went to Wittering and it was blowing a fairly steady 20 mph directly off-shore, and a few people were buggying with small kites - looked like a SkyTiger 26, Buster 2.0 and a black/multi-coloured thing. My only high-wind kite is my 7.3 Frenzy! :( (Not that I like high winds...I don't.)

I actually only used 2 lines on the Symphony with handles... How is it behaving with 4 lines?

I bought the 1.4 a while ago as a starter kite for my girlfriend... but ended up using it more than she did :D

It is quite cheap so worth the investment!

Adrena1in: I work in Petersfield at the moment but will move the office in Micheldever. Are there any good places for buggying around Winchester?

My limited experience of it being too wild for my 2.5 bullet and having to borrow a 1.5 bullet, is that these things are much less twitchy once you get rolling and can keep up with them. With the bullet I was able to use the brakes to hold it in the window with minimal working, so I'd say try the symphony on 4 lines! I declined to try a super 10 because I couldn't decide how I was going to use it without brakes!

I really need something much smaller for those humiliating days - currently thinking about a T-arc which apart from being tiny for high winds, should be small and simple enough to deploy from a kayak????? From all I've heard and seen, arcs rock! They seem to be almost impossible to crash which can't be a bad thing!

JIM

I was disappointed I don't have a small kite, because I wanted to get out flying yesterday. Butser Hill was blowing 17 to 30 mph, and some chap was getting chcuked about by a ProTeam 8 or Super 10. Then I went to Wittering and it was blowing a fairly steady 20 mph directly off-shore, and a few people were buggying with small kites - looked like a SkyTiger 26, Buster 2.0 and a black/multi-coloured thing. My only high-wind kite is my 7.3 Frenzy! :( (Not that I like high winds...I don't.)

The kites you saw at Witterings were a 2.8 Bora,a1.8 skytiger and a mk1 Predator.

We went to Weston (Uphill) this saturday... Surprised we were the only one there in the morning. Strong winds, up to 33mph.

First we only took a Flexi Orbit stunt out, then an HQ Symphony 1.4m. We broke the lines which couldn't handle this wind so we used the lines from a Blade 4.9 with handles... And yes we did buggy!

It was surprisingly fun. Quite easy to work because of the small size. It goes downwind very well and we managed some ok speed...

The wind was even stronger on Sunday. Flexidan and me were racing with 1.5 Bullets because the 2.5 would be too much in the gusts. The 1.5's are getting a lot of use lately.

Saturday was cool but Frustating. It is always the same for all of us non professional Kiters: We nether get the right kite for the right wind.

Despite abusing aerostef little tiny kine (we should have tried one or two tesco bags stacked together for the fun) We managed only an unepressive 10 MPH.

We will try to be better equiped for next session

Winter 2002/2003 was a sad time as the gusting wind in Cornwall was often too much for my Viper 3.0 and the stackers just didn't have the movement for buggying, but I'm happy to report Winter 2003/2004 has been great 30mph winds and a LD 2.1 are a great combination in a buggy, the only downside is the sand blizzards, but a small price to pay.

Having gotten into Kite Surfing last year, it's been great to get back into a buggy with wild winds over the stormy winter months.

Bowcaps