Am I being realistic...?

Ross1599968583

Hi Guys

I have been flying for a year or so and landboarding for a few monts now - I seem to ave the hang of it in terms of using the various points of the wind to go up and downwind etc etc...

I have my first kite surfing lesson on monday -4hrs just me and the instructor but what I really really realy want to do is hang upside down under my kite and board - IS THIS REALISTIC?

If not what do you think I will be able to do after 4hrs?

I'd appreciate your thoughts

Cheers

Ross

Hanging upside down (fully inverted) is possible but it takes alot of practice.

After 4hours you will probably just be able to get up and stay on your board for a few seconds before falling off (assumming you have never tried it before).

The lesson will spend alot of time on safety aspects and kit setup, then probably body dragging and finally water starting.

I might be wrong though. Let us know how you get on

Guest yellowdevil
Originally posted by Racinsnake2

Not sure what stage2 is, i presume is turning etc.

mtbing will definately help in the balance department.

Have fun

Level 2 of the IKO (International Kiteboarding Organis(z)ation))? - can't find the details on their site though - http://www.ikorg.com.....

huge difference between landboarding and water pal

i had same background flew for short while landboarde over cold winter months then onto water

after 4 hours total time on water i was keeping upwind - only when i moved down to smaller board did i find upwind part alot easier to hold rail down

biggest difficulties i had were following

1. get use to doing alot with one hand souns simple but in water untangling board leash etc etc

2. you NEED alot more power on water so mistakes get spanked

ive been on water since mid april and prob managed about 20 session - twice a week

in this time ive learnt to jump various heights and landings are improving and i can turn comfortably in all water conditions and am just begiining to attempt reverse stance sailing - shich i cud do on landboard - i seldom down the kite in water and feel i am passed the scared out of control feeling i had first few sessions when overpowered

its not difficult skill progression - i guess 10% of windsurfing skill progression as i dont consider myself any hawaiin god more a blackpool muppet

oh by the way i forgot - learning is fantastic fun and rewards are quick

90% = kite skills

stay safe and at end of day is there a rush to improve?

good luck

Guest foilpilot

i can confirm the shock of going from land to water. i spent 2 years with a blade 4.9 and a mountainboard on wormwood scrubs - i never got to the water at all, and was anyway pretty pleased with what i was getting out of the scrubs.

i moved to california, so it seemed natural to progress to water. You do need much more power, and I guess that you won't be using your blade 4.9 for your beginner outings. The biggest shock was how slow and heavy the big water-based foils are to turn - partly the increased size, but also the move to a bar from a 4-lne setup. For a while, I really missed the speed and dynamic power of the 4.9 ... until i discovered you go go out with small foils in big winds, and rediscover those pleasures.

anyway, i was surprised overall by how long it took me to translate from land to water. i would say without a doubt that water is more of a challenge.

THATS INTERESTING

perhaps you conditioned to handle flying which ive never ever touched so 4 line bar was natural plus i only spent 4 months on land - definately its the power required and one handed requirements

................oh and i used my 10 lei for 3 months landboarding so again conditioned to what you describe as slower turning than what can be gained with handle flying

landboarding is great fun and in my opinion represents at most 10% the buzz of on the water activity

i rest my case and state that to encourage and motivate others as to whats at the end of the tunnel of progression

I NEVER - nor my wife ever!!!- thught id sell my windsurfing kit so much now that i can only windsurf when its at least 20 knots and waves

such is the kitesurfing orgasm - addictive

.not just a thught but very pertenent for learning kineosthetic feel to arial moves ie where u are and when you move your levers to cause rotations / spins -all happens so fast basically

was recent article in mag about using lines attached to branch / frame to hang and practive - just make sure support is strong enough for your body weight and more

anyone who can develop simulator for forward looping in windsurfing stands to make alot of money

may try on kids swing frame soon - sod what the neighbours think when they see me hanging upside down - prob get put on suicide watch after that!!!