Using a harness, Advice Needed

TDogg

I normally buggy without a harness but after recently getting a 5.5 Century I decided it was a good idea to get one so I invested in a dakine speed seat. I'm finding it difficult to get grips with using the harness whilst buggying, movement is much restricted, which is making flying the kite a lot harder. Is it just a case of getting used to it and adjusting flying technique, or is there more to it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Yeah, if you have the roller... ok

It its the hook, the strop likes to slip out.

Either way, i would reccomend talking to Buggykiller

( Dave - Antigravity - Leeds )

He is a buggy instructor

And

he has a new product - kind of a Q/R swivel roller system

With it, it makes handling the kite so slick and smooth that you can even take one hand off and fly - when you need to pick your nose or wave at the crowds.....

you dont say if the seats got a hook or a pully wheel on, if its got a hook go get a pully, there soooo much better.

Next time theres not much wind & its sunny go to your local spot & take a small kite & your harness, Sit on the floor with the harness on & practice flying the kit in the harness. sitting down will restrict your movement like when your in a buggy but, if you use a little kite, wont end up with you hurting your self.

Also when your in the buggy think about how the handles are oriented, you dont have to have to hold them verticaly.

me

chris

Hold the handles horizontaly when turning & you can swing them all over the place.

burgy

Cheers Burgy,

That all makes sense, I've got a roller bar, so that's a step in the right direction. I'll try what you say this Weekend and get a bit of practice in before Wallop.

P.S. I couldn't access the links you put in, is the site down or is it just me?

Guest the guvnor

dude, good tips, thats how i started with the harness. flying stationary standing and sitting to get the idea of the difference the position makes with regard to center of gravity.

my advice for the first few sessions run with the kite clipped into the harness whilst going straight and take the kite out of the harness whilst turning. that way u wont get any suprises when u turn, i.e. lifted out or dragged out of the buggy. as u get more confident try a slow turn with the kite, but beware that u dont have the dampening effect of your arms if the kite suddenly pulls u violently.

seek me out at middle wallop if u need any further tips..

Cheers Guvnor,

By the way I was the billy no mates sat next to you at the bar at the last meeting, I was gonna introduce myslef to you after the meeting but you shot off pretty quick, I'll seek you out at wallop. Colin mentioned the next meeting is going to be in the beer tent, should be fun. :)

Originally posted by rasga

will you guys then, at the NHBC meeting, be able to pay attention (and no. .its not the house builders ;)

That's what I was wondering, depends when he's thinking of having the meeting, before too much ale or swamp donkey has been quaffed would probably be advisable. :)

I use a hook with my speedseat and find the resistance eases control, when turning with a harness, I always do a little flick away from the kite before turninq towards the kite, it helps keep the lines under tension and if you do a downturn, it flicks you round without lifting you out of the buggy.