andrew peter: The passing of a friend and fellow kiter

Zippy

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x104/Zipp101/Andrew%20Nutley/Andrew1.jpg

Andrew Nutley, aka andrew peter, on here. Some of you may know him, some may of heard of him, some of you wont have a clue.

Irrespectively it saddens me to inform you all that he passed away Monday 23rd August 2010 at approximately 14:00hrs, aged 33. He leaves behind his long time girlfriend Amanda and their 3 girls, his family and a huge amount of friends.

Andrew had a long history with liver problems which started as a teenager. It was due to a disease which was a result of him simply being born.

When Andrew first developed his problem as a teenager, he was so ill he needed to have a transplant, this happened in 1998. His transplant was a success and he was told it should last him approximately 5 years. Being Andrew, with his strength and will power, he managed to make it last right up until last year, 2009. Some 11 years!

This liver he was given finally began to fail on him last year, that resulted in him having a 2nd transplant in 2009. Sadly this 3rd liver didn't give him the same success as his 1st one did and soon began to fail on him.

Well 2010 new years eve, Andrew was rushed back into hospital with all the symptoms of old. He had been in the hospital ever since with the exception of daily day release to get out into the real world and be with his family and friends. He then would return at the end of each day to have his medication etc.

He has been on the transplant list all year but sadly none came through. His liver finally gave up the ghost at the weekend. It shut down and started the process of shutting down his body. He was given 2-3 days at best to live when I got the sad news on Sunday.

We rushed over to the hospital to see him that evening. When we got there he was being moved to ITU for intensive care in his final days/hours. Sadly, shortly after getting there his stomach ruptured, spewing acid into his blood system. This in turn gave him a massive heart attack. The Dr's managed to resuscitate him and put him on life support machines, but he was pretty much gone when we finally got to see him. His machines were turned off yesterday at 2pm when he was finally allowed to rest and be at peace with himself.

Andrew is the sole reason I got into power kites and I owe him deeply for that. His letting me have a go on his 4m Radsail that day has changed my life completely. It is down to him I got out of my depression and met a lot of wonderful new people, many of which I am very happy to have as friends today.

Andrew was as happy go lucky a person as anyone could ever meet. With all his problems he still managed to wear a permanent smile and fly all sorts of kites. He got to the stage that he could do board grabs. He tried kite surfing a couple of times as well but sadly never got the chance to pursue this further. He did all this despite the Dr's saying it would be next to impossible for him in reality and he should possibly refrain from doing so.

The Dr's were very impressed with the determination Andrew had and couldnt believe he was doing what he was. He even got so much recognition he was offered a sponsorship by one of the transplant charities, (it may of been another group but I am not certain) either way he was due to get a new logo printed kite when he was well enough to fly again. Sadly this didnt happen as he never got better, just increasingly worse.

Andrew fought for the short life he had and fought as hard, if not harder, than any person I have ever come across in his bid to stay alive and be happy with the life he had.

Andrew was a long time friend of mine and many other people, lots of which will be on here.

His funeral is to be held on Thursday 2nd September at Trinity Church, Frome at 11:00hrs. Burial will be at Easthill cemetery, Frome at 12:00hrs.

Family request that people do not to send tributes of flowers, as the family would prefer donations which they can put towards a headstone with his photo on. Anyone wishing to donate towards his headstone can send me a PM and I will pass my bank details to you to enable you to transfer money into my account. I will then pass all donations I receive plus my own donation, on to his girlfriend to go to the worthy cause.

There is an open invitation for anyone who wishes to attend either the funeral or the burial.

R.I.P Andrew.

Edited by Zippy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry to hear this news Terry. I know how much kiting means to you, and how much Andrew meant. Your tribute to him is wonderful, and I'll be remembering him as I get to launch my kites for the first time in 6 months this weekend.

RIP Andrew. Suss out the good beaches and hills for us up there.

And Terry - have a hug. Sounds like you need it.

I have just been out for an hour with a mutual friend, Paul Oakley (Marlon). He has a tattoo on him he painstakingly wrote in memory and honour of his Granddad. He has given me the permission to place it here as it also is very apt towards Andrew,and is what he feels a need to share. So here it is.......

Happy, Smiling always content

Loved and respected wherever he went,

Always so thoughtful, loving and kind

A beautiful memory he left behind

A golden heart stopped beating

Hard working hands as rest,

God broke our hearts to prove to us

He only takes the best

These posts I have copied and pasted from our White Horse thread as they will be more apt here.

For those of you who havnt heard the news, Andrew (andrew peter on here) is dying. We went to see him last night to say our goodbyes but as we got there he was being rushed to ITU. No sooner had he got there, just to make a bad situation worse, he had a massive heart attack. The huge abscess, that used to be his liver (3rd one) has failed totally and has started the process of shutting his body down now. On top of this whilst we were there last night, his stomach ruptured and filled his blood system with acid. That caused him to have a massive heart attack and he arrested. He is now on life support and is unconscious. There is nothing more the Dr's can do for him really as even if they found a new liver they know he will not make it through the operation. Its a very sad time. I am sure those of you who know/knew him will be thinking of him and the good times we had. I have known him almost 2 decades now and owe him a lot. If it wasnt for Andrew I would never of got into kites and would not know all the people I do and feel the way I do. I hope he is going to a better place because this one has sure dealt him a very rough ride. I will update you all with more news as and when I receive it. Well wishes will be passed on to his family accordingly.

The latest news this morning is that he has not changed. Only the machines are keeping him alive.

Jesus that is awful to hear! I can't believe it really.

I always thought he'd get sorted and find it hard to believe this is the end result! I can't even beging to imagine what his family must be going through. Must have been pretty rough for you to see him in that state too Terry. Obviously my heart goes out to him and his family and friends and hope he doesn't suffer too much longer - he's had enough suffering.

I will always remember Andy as a really good bloke with a smile (despite his condition). He always laughed it off and hoped for the best - we could all learn alot from his pma (positive mental attitude).

It truly is a sad day...

I know this is really not the time but as Zippy ( terry ) is in manchester ,i have been informed by himself that poor Andy passed away today.

It is with the deepest regret that i break this sad news but thought it best to inform those who knew andy.

He will be missed by us, but remembered for the smiles the laughter and the girly flying..... god bless you andy and thanks for being a good friend

Rest in peace my friend. We've had some bloody funny times together, makes me smile just thinking of them.

I did used to give him loads of shit for moaning all the time about the wind/kite, he was just never happy with the wind condition and would talk the whole session instead of flying :)

The first time he went kitesurfing he forgot to do up his wetsuit zip :D he complained it was cold and wouldnt go back in :D

Rest in peace Andy.You were truly one of a kind,deepest sympathy to the family.

Well as Harry has said, it is with great sadness I have to inform you all that Andrew is now no longer with us. The very difficult decision to turn off his life support machines was made this afternoon at approximately 14:00hrs. It really was the best thing that could of been done for him. When we saw him last night he really was not there. His body was but he wasn't. In a morbid kinda, way I am happy he is no longer suffering the pain this terrible disease has caused him over the last decade and a half. I am truly saddened at losing one of my long time friends, even if he did drive me 'Nuts' at times.

No matter what was going on in Andrews life he always had a smile. He truly 'smiled in the face of adversity'. Some days I dont know how he did it, but just looking back through some of his posts here makes it obvious he was as strong minded as any person I have ever met. We could all learn from this simple, yet big hearted, happy person, that I am proud to of known and been able to call a friend for so long. He has inspired me and I will always remember him and his being. Only the good die young! I for one will sorely miss him.

My thoughts and condolences go out to his family right now. they have all had to endure and suffer everything that Andrew has been through for so long. They now have to mourn the passing of a truly amazing, one of a kind, person that was their Son, Father, Partner, friend etc.

I hope the wind blows sweet for him now, where ever he has gone. I can see him putting a smile on 'Gods' face as he dangles from his Monkey screaming like a girl.

May Andrew now rest in peace. May God bless his soul, it sure was one of the best.

I never saw him in a bad mood :) One of the most positive and upbeat people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I enjoyed the days Andy came to the Horse. He had an enthusiasm and love for the sport that you rarely see, even if he did always have his illness getting in the way. For someone who always said he shouldn't have been kiting it sure was good to see him dangling under that 12m Monkey.

He was joking with the nurses right up to the point where his body gave up the fight.

Safe journey Andy.... enjoy your peace.

fly brother fly-someone once said that the sun never goes down but its just an illusion caused by the rotation of the earth v

RIP Andy - Still got his first grab photo on the scrub website

Scrub Boards The home of Mountain Boarding 2010.- Scrub Mountain Boards Video & Picture Gallery

Julie & nathan

A photo from Paul Oakley's facebook, Andrew (Happy, smiling always content) is again looking away on the right of the picture. The crazy guy on the mod'ed power risers is Dean! Yes he did ride them with a kite!!! Loon!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v110/230/1/819200150/n819200150_873847_2222.jpg

Here is something for you all to think about and each and everyone will be welcome.

As a tribute to Andrew, Dean and myself have come up with an idea. Just a couple weeks ago Andrew gave me 'The Monkey'. The one so many of us remember him dangling from!

We propose that we all get together for a BBQ and fly session up 'The Ole Nag' where his old kite will be available for all to have a go on in remembrance of Andrew. It is most likely to be on a Saturday as people I have spoken to so far find it the best day. Date to be announced very soon. Please try to make it and lets give him a good sending off party where we can all laugh and joke and remember Andrew as he was. A happy, fun, life loving person with a heart of gold.

When I spoke to Amanda this evening, one of the things she asked me to do was find Andrews favourite song and make her a copy to be played at his funeral. This I have now done. She told me it used to drive her nuts because he played it so much, and she used to swear and cuss him to turn it off because it used to do her head in. Now after downloading it for her, I have searched Youtube and found a version with words. After playing it and crying as it played listening and reading the words I feel you should all understand why it meant so much to him. He could not of written better words to sum up his life and how he felt. The man was a truly amazing, strong minded, good natured character with a huge zest for life. He deserved to live forever in my books. I take my hat of to one of the strongest minded person I will probably ever get to meet. I am so truly honoured to of known him for more than half his life and will remember him forever.

Terry i feel your grieving Andrew was exactly like you and other people have descried very full of life and always smiling despite his condition.

Thanks to you i had the opportunity to meat him a few times and share in his enjoyment of flying and laughing at life.

May the soft winds of Haven blow sweetly upon you face Andy.

My deepest sympathy to the family.

Rich.

Edited by Mad-Fly

Sounds like Andrew will leave a huge void in the kiting world,but he is at peace now,i never knew him,but to be born with problems of this nature is tragic,up hill all the way,so sad,Zippy,man hug for you,and respect,writing tributes is never easy,and mostly tearful,great plan to fly the great mans kite,thats how to say farewell,for all of you who knew him,keep the precious memories,and when life kicks you in the head and you've had a bad day,remember Andrew,the fighter,and that smile,rest in peace Andrew.

Do you know what? I have been from Somerset to Manchester and back since I heard of Andrew having only a few days left, and the thing that really is beginning to do my head in the most is, that it has rained every day. Not just a shower but really rained. As if we need that when its raining in our hearts like it is. Im fed up with all this water and just wish it would shine now. Its almost like God is having a joke on us. We need some sunshine now big man, to remind us of the sunshine Andrew bought to each and everyone of us that knew him!!! GIVE US A BREAK PLEASEEEE!

This is going to look spooky in a wierd kinda way as Andrew is not with us. I have accessed his account now (thanks Amanda) and want to put up a post from his account to help people remember him.

Andrew hasnt been here for so long this message appeared when I signed in as him

Hey,

Looks like it's been a while since you've posted. How about getting back involved with the community. We miss you!

We will all miss him.

Speaking on Andrews behalf, I know Andrew would be extremely happy to see and hear all the kind things said, and would thank you all from the bottom of his heart, if you could find the bottom! Its a big heart he had.

Edited by andrew peter

RiP Andrew.... gone but not forgotten. I dont know him but from all the posts, he had many a good friend.

Condolences to his family and friends

A suggestion ?

Maybe get the kite that was going to made for him, made. Then auction of the kite in his name for a charity? (family suggest one)

Do you know what? I have been from Somerset to Manchester and back since I heard of Andrew having only a few days left, and the thing that really is beginning to do my head in the most is, that it has rained every day. Not just a shower but really rained. As if we need that when its raining in our hearts like it is. Im fed up with all this water and just wish it would shine now. Its almost like God is having a joke on us. We need some sunshine now big man, to remind us of the sunshine Andrew bought to each and everyone of us that knew him!!! GIVE US A BREAK PLEASEEEE!

R.I.P Andrew, I wish I could have met you, from what I read you sound like a really nice guy.

Zippy ... chill mate ... its just the angels crying ...