NSW Thredbo Snowkite 2010 Season

dads

Hey guys,

Name's Allan, just started work in Cooma.

Have 1 season of water kiting and a season of snow boarding (which im planning on adding to when the weather is unsuitable for kiting).

I work a 4 day on 4 off roster and just bought a thredbo season pass so will have plenty of time to get amongst it. (can also pack another 2-3 in my old short wheelbase landcruiser)

Looking for any kiters with experience at thredbo i can tag along with to learn the sport.

And/or any instructors in the NSW ski fields.

Cheers.

Allan.

(Also any advise on a kite for nsw thredbo conditions would be great. Im 95kg and normally ride north 07 rebels, am looking at getting a 10m PL charger/syn/venom2 or an 8m Ozone access/frenzy)

P.S. I realise this last question is unrelated to the topic. (sorry)

Hi Allan,

There are a few options but here are two to kick you off-

1- Trek up to the top of Home Run poma and walk towards the plateau (about a kilometre away), which is relatively open country and kiteable.

2- Or head from Thredbo towards Seamans hut. Just check the conditions before you head off.

Not sure who is heading out that way this year but there generally aren't full time snowkite instructors.

The kite sizes you are considering should be OK but the variations up there are huge. Another possibility is get a bigger kite for the light days and then pull out your smaller Pump up on the windier days.

Jas

Thanks Jason,

I'll do a little more research on the kite front. The rebels i have are 12 and 14metres. So I think i'm looking for 1 or 2 kites to fill the mid to higher wind ranges (for land).

I'll also keep an ear to the ground for any locals (jindy, cooma, canberra) who get up with some frequency.

Thanks again,

allan.

• 1 month later...

Thanks,

i bit the bullet and decided to try and get a clue the more expensive way and am spending a couple of weeks in NZ 15th - 30th Aug (doing one of the 35th camps while im there). I fly back in on the 30th and dont start work again till the 7th. So will be keen to get up the hill all that week.

I'll try get in touch on the 30/31st. My mobile is 0438 462 667

(if some of your crew are coastal kids lite on gear im 6'1 around 90-95kg and could kit up one other my size in good quality tech outer wear, need there own insulation and base layers though)

cheers allan

G'day Alan

You could call our shop sometime and discuss with my son Peace, he has been snowkiting at Thredbo a few times and I think he is planning to head down in the next few weeks. Shop number is 95296894

Inflatables are a hassle up there, sure they can be used, but they are not ideal in the snow. Foils work best by far, we have some excellent values deals on new and as new Ozone snowkites, in all sizes.

Peace could advise you on what he thinks is best, based on his experience down there.

hey dads

hope the snowkiting in nz is going well.

I am going to stay up at thredbo from September 1st through to the 4th specifically to check out snow kiting in the areas above thredbo. Will be experimenting with snow boards as well as cross country skis. Would be keen to go up with anyone keen to give it a go.

I have plenty of experience in the snow, mountaneering, mountainboarding, but limited time snowboarding and never been snowkiting.

My mobile number is 0438 552 939

That sounds great, I will be staying down in thredbo village for the three nights and maby a night or two if I can build a snowcave [see other thread] up above thredbo if the conditions allow it. I was going to go up with a mate who is a experienced snowboarder and mountaneer but has only been flying kites static. You might say it wil be the blind leading the blind but that is how we like it.

PM me with your phone number and I will ring you closer to the time.

corky