how strict are thomas cook?

destroyer

off to el gouna next week, pre booked my gear with thomas cook, they say the max weight for any one bag is 30kg (used to be 32kg) just weighed my bag and its 33kg, has anyone been with them recently and got away with a few extra kgs or are they strict on this.............. im probley being abit greedy taking 2 boards, suppose i could just take one out :mad:

cheers

I can't comment on Thomas Cook directly, however, as they have stated that the max for one bag is 30Kg, this is likley due to insurance reasons re bagage handlers lifting the cases. I would imagine, like most airlines, they will probably be pretty hot on this.

We flew with SleasyJet earlier this year with one guy being over the 32Kg limit for one bag.....they were happy to let him exceed the limit with out paying any extra, but not all in one bag for insurance reasone. Ended up redistributing it into other people cases. I would consider taking a second bag to redistribute some of the weight if you can....

Hi there,

This is my first post so I hope it's a good one.

I would definitely take another bag, all baggage handlers have a 32kg limit now, so no airline should take anything heavier. Also with the increase in fuel costs they are all becoming much more strict on anything that can be charged for. However, if you do take another bag they might welll try to charge you for that.

Have a great time in El Gouna, I learnt with RSZ last year.

BTW, are you getting on the scales carrying the bag ?? Does make it easier than trying to balance the bag.

i have never had a board bag weighed. just pay the extra, they look at you and say it has to go to the outsize place. key to not getting it weighed is pick it up effortlessly yourself and put it on the belt. if it ends up on the scales stick your toe against it and lift, you can easily shed 10 kg.

i have never had a board bag weighed. just pay the extra, they look at you and say it has to go to the outsize place. key to not getting it weighed is pick it up effortlessly yourself and put it on the belt. if it ends up on the scales stick your toe against it and lift, you can easily shed 10 kg.

Yeah, that tends to work less with airwagons which being huge always attract weight attention. The toe idea didn't work with us either.....it worked at the check in desk (after shifting some weight) but then it was reweiged by the outsize baggage people and given back because it was still just over 32Kg.

Presumably if you have an airwagon, that is your only bag? Therefore, if you booked the board on, they will be expecting two bags so you should be ok if you split it into two.

This is the reason I have not been tempted to buy an air wagon........they are so big that alone they weigh 5kg and fully packed they are over the max limit for one bag. I would be more tempted by the daking split convertabe.....but not at £130. Boardbag and suitcase does it for me everytime.

We flew with Thomas Cook to Hurghada last week, both mine and my mates kite bags were over 30kg, about 32/33kg I think. When we rang up to ask what the weight limit was, they said there wasn't one, as long as you don't take the p155 you will have no problems. They didn't bat an eyelid on check in. Could have just been lucky tho... I take it you have paid the extra £35 in advance for taking your gear?

Yeah, that tends to work less with airwagons which being huge always attract weight attention. The toe idea didn't work with us either.....it worked at the check in desk (after shifting some weight) but then it was reweiged by the outsize baggage people and given back because it was still just over 32Kg.

Presumably if you have an airwagon, that is your only bag? Therefore, if you booked the board on, they will be expecting two bags so you should be ok if you split it into two.

This is the reason I have not been tempted to buy an air wagon........they are so big that alone they weigh 5kg and fully packed they are over the max limit for one bag. I would be more tempted by the daking split convertabe.....but not at £130. Boardbag and suitcase does it for me everytime.

What did you do when they handed the bag back at oversize luggage, i presume your other luggage already went on the conveyer

I have flown with kit with TC on many occasion now and as long as your luggage is pre booked on the extra sports equipment it appears there is not a limit on the number of bags aslong as no one bag exceeds 30kg. I have exceeded the weight and they have just asked me to remove some kit (two sets of bar and lines did it). Infact on one occasion when pre booking my kit I asked what the limit was, I must say at this point I now always refer to the kit as windsurfing kit (they understand what that is) and was told as no other sports luggage was booked on the flight I could have upto 10 (yes 10) board bags. Not bad for £35. So may be worth checking out when a few folks go together as one person may get away with booking a couple of sets of kit on.

But make sure that you receive a receipt that clearly states you have paid for the sports equipment both outward and return. Lately it has always been the return that I have had the hassle, and even at times with receipt in hand I have had a stand off with check in.

dont risk anything

i have been stung and it realy winds you up when the cost is £7/for every kilo over the limit

at hurgarda they make it easy to fay the extra by having hand held credit card machines at the check in desks, so they are ready for you!!

as long as you pay the extra dosh for kite gear then you can transfer any heavy stuf to your kite bags as there is no limit on the amount of gear as long as you insist it is only one board

if you own up to having 2 boards (and they quizzed me) you will end up in trouble if they are on the ball, at hurgarda it was touch and go with my 2 boards as they wanted two extra charge tickets, so be carefull and polite with two boards and keep them in one bag well padded to look like like one

What did you do when they handed the bag back at oversize luggage, i presume your other luggage already went on the conveyer

Well, luckily as we were flying SleasyJet, they have no limit on hand luggage weight. He ended up taking out a wetsuit which I took in my hand luggage and a harness which was carried in another guys hand luggage, after removing the spreader bar and leaving that in the airwagon (decidied that security might not like that on the plane!)

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been charged for baggage yet, touch wood. I've always travelled by only checking in one bag with all my kit in it. Whether it be a snowboarding trip or kiting trip. I try not to have the bag greater than 25kg and if possible around 20kg. I pack as much as I can in a small sports holdall to take on the plane. (clothes, cameras, harness leash etc). When asked at the desk I say its a mixture of my clothes wetsuits, fins etc. Seems to have worked so far.

I've never paid any extra yet on my last 5 trips, including Egypt (twice) and Cabarete, where they are real hot with questions on the way back.

It seems that if you have only one checked in bag regardless of the size (but within weight limits) you don't pay extra.

Neil,

What an epic trip! How was the rest of yours? Photo's of us lot down at Kite power are on the gallery in the link in my sig.