Welcome to Sport Kiting!

.Joel

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi.

I'm a freestyle sports kite flyer, well I think that's what I do! As I've only see people flying these kites on the net.

I am interested in catching up with other flyers in the Spencer Gulf region of South Australia or even Adelaide so I can increase my trick portfolio and hopefully gain more knowledge on this type of kite.

cheers.

Kites in my bag

Prisim E2

Prisim 3D

Revolution SLE

R-Sky Frenezy

Hi Matt

Not sure about Spencer Gulf region, but there are a number of sport kite flyers in Adelaide. Check out the AKFA (Adelaide Kite Flyers Association) section of this forum. If you are ever in the Fleurieu region, DaveA and me fly at Moana most weekends

Cheers

Kevin

Willinga, S.A.

Thanks Kevin

Was in Adelaide the other weekend for the AKFA family fun day (held instead of the kite festival), was hoping to catch up with some sport kite fliers but I think the rain kept people away.

Thanks for the offer to fly at Moana, what's the best time of year for good kite flying weather.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi everyone! Haven't been on this site before, but I'm a sport kite flyer and just moved to Gippsland Victoria. I'm trying to find anyone else who might fly kites in the Gippsland area. I'm based in Newborough, have twelve kites, all Prism except one Silver Fox vented.

I'd love to start up a club so if any one is interested and is somewhere on the east side of Melbourne let me know and we might be able to get together. if not I'll see you all at the 2014 Rosebud kite festival ;)

I can be contacted via email at: cjljball@yahoo.com.au

Cheers!!!!

Hi WolvenX,

Welcome. :good:

Not too many sport kiters in your area as far as I know.

I do know there was either a club or a following down at Lakes Entrance many moons ago, when there was a kite store there. They even held the World championships there!!

As for who might be in your area, I don't know.

You will find alot of us visit Sandy Point, but this is mainly for power kiting activities (buggies, kite surfing, etc.), and only on days when we can't do the above activities, will a sport kite make an appearance.

By all means feel free to start up a group of fellow kiters down your way.

You will also find most kite festivals are full of single stringers. With little room for sport fliers to partake.

No doubt, Craig from Peter Lynn will be at the next Rosebud fester, and they have very large kites, so space at the fester can be at a premium.

On at a the same time is the Labor Day (well weekend) power kite do, at Sandy Point.

So most of here will be down there.

You might want to see if the AKA are still able to be contacted, they had a fair few Vic members and you should find some who still go to the Rosebud fester, or over your way.

Good luck.

• 3 years later...

Welcome Jason!! :hatsoff:

As for spots, any place with clean clear wind is a winner.

This will change with direction as well, as some places work best with winds from one way and not another.

If you want to do slack line tricks (not just circles and figure of eights) then you will find you'll need wind less than 10 knots.

Autumn often has about six weeks of low wind conditions that can be magic for learning tricks. Something to look forward to.

Winds off the water are some of the smoothest, but you'll need to get to the beach for those conditions. 

Start by scouting your local area for locations, and try them all out, you'll soon find a favourite.

And come and say hi at the Rosebud kite festival if you can.

Happy to give pointers or assist in any way possible.

I'll be there, not sure what I'll be flying, but look for the twit in an Extreme kites T-shirt.

22 hours ago, nigel said:

Welcome Jason!! :hatsoff:

As for spots, any place with clean clear wind is a winner.

This will change with direction as well, as some places work best with winds from one way and not another.

If you want to do slack line tricks (not just circles and figure of eights) then you will find you'll need wind less than 10 knots.

Autumn often has about six weeks of low wind conditions that can be magic for learning tricks. Something to look forward to.

Winds off the water are some of the smoothest, but you'll need to get to the beach for those conditions. 

Start by scouting your local area for locations, and try them all out, you'll soon find a favourite.

And come and say hi at the Rosebud kite festival if you can.

Happy to give pointers or assist in any way possible.

I'll be there, not sure what I'll be flying, but look for the twit in an Extreme kites T-shirt.

Hi Nigel,

At the moment I've only tried a couple of my local ovals and the beach at Carrum.  

I'm hoping to get to slackline tricks, I have been working on just getting the hang of keeping the kite up in the air!  I have a good supply of YouTube links that I will be referring back to as I improve my skills.

I didn't know that there was a kite festival in Rosebud... when is it?

Rosebud fester: www.rosebudkitefestival.com.au

Mostly big kites and little room for any thing else. But a good day for the family.

We (or just me?) should have a static buggy display (no room to stretch our legs), and there might be some person :blush2:  harassing the public with a Rev or a duelie.

Saturday is just a meet the maker, a better chance to have a fly (or buggy) as the fencing isn't up at that point, so we have the whole foreshore if we want it.

Keep up with the flying !!

It gets easier the more you practice.

And once you can easily keep the kite in the air, then you can start looking at slack line tricks.

Beach winds are the best!!

Hope to catch you at Rosebud?

Cheers, Nigel.

17 hours ago, nigel said:

Rosebud fester: www.rosebudkitefestival.com.au

Mostly big kites and little room for any thing else. But a good day for the family.

We (or just me?) should have a static buggy display (no room to stretch our legs), and there might be some person :blush2:  harassing the public with a Rev or a duelie.

Saturday is just a meet the maker, a better chance to have a fly (or buggy) as the fencing isn't up at that point, so we have the whole foreshore if we want it.

I have put it on the calendar!   Hopefully should be able to get down there for a look.

17 hours ago, nigel said:

Keep up with the flying !!

It gets easier the more you practice.

And once you can easily keep the kite in the air, then you can start looking at slack line tricks.

I have been looking into slack line tricks, mainly just finding and bookmarking youtube videos.  I have been chatting on the kitelife forums a bit before I found this one.  I am slowly trying to learn one step at a time.  Next time out I hope to work on the moves in Dodd's 6 step learning/practice video.

• .Joel unpinned this topic
  • 2 years later...