Peter Lynn Synergy 15m

carltb

• 2 weeks later...

hi j

the synergy is alot faster size for size and has a massive amount of float aswell. the wind range is about the same 12-28mph. the bad side of the synergy is it tends to drift abit about the window whereas the phanny will sit there all day without any input. ive flown both kites back to back and my first impression was i prefer the phanny. (this might be because i was so used to the kites characteristics) but after flying the synergy serveral more times, it wins hands down!! PL definately got it right again!!!

• 7 years later...
On 9/3/2008 at 0:14 AM, carltb said:

hi j

the synergy is alot faster size for size and has a massive amount of float aswell. the wind range is about the same 12-28mph. the bad side of the synergy is it tends to drift abit about the window whereas the phanny will sit there all day without any input. ive flown both kites back to back and my first impression was i prefer the phanny. (this might be because i was so used to the kites characteristics) but after flying the synergy serveral more times, it wins hands down!! PL definately got it right again!!!

Sorry to return this old thread, but I've recently asked Carl about the Synergy in anticipation for my purchase from @Spares. I am really chuffed about @carltb comment here, and I can't wait to try out the 19m in 5knots! (if that's too low, let me know!). Nervous.

5 knots on a twin tip? That won't happen. It's an arc and so has a lot less projected area then a "normal" depower foil kite. A 19m arc will probably have about the same or less projected area as a 15 speed (which won't get you going in 5 knots).

wait.....

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mx5alan/arcs/ARCsetup_FAQ.htm 

19m synergy projected area 11.6m

http://www.flysurfer.com/en/produkte/kites/speed4-lotus/#tech

15m speed 4 projected area 12.8m

5 knots, hmm, I can fly my FlySurfer Lotus 18m^2 in five knots, but would be very luck to kitesurf with such a low wind. Would have to have perfectly flat water and a big flat board, like my 1.7m home made barn door, and then cross your fingers. In five knots you will have to help along the arcs just to get them inflated, ie several restarts just to get the air, or cheat and use a leaf blower. If you have a hydrofoil, can imagine it would be do able.

I don't know about qld but in sa the biggest problem with sub 10knt winds is consistency.

you would get up on the board and go 50m to have it drop out to zero then the kite falls in the drink and because its so light its super hard to relaunch.

that being said some of our colder denser air packs more of a punch in winter, it's really noticeable when static flying, however winter brings with it gusts, where one minute it will be 5 knts then shoot up to 15 and change direction at the same time.

have fun trying though.

I concur with CarlB original statement 12-28mph. Arc's are no good in ultra light winds. They are too slow, need a leaf blower to inflate and are gutless for their size. 

A monster arc is really for a heavier bloke in 10+ knots of wind. 

I think technology has moved on considerably since the arc days. There are a lot better light wind monsters out there to be had. Southerlies 18m speed being one of them. 

I also think if you want any chance of grinning in on the water in 5 knots then you need to get yourself a hydrofoil. Even then i can't fathom anything other than desparation kiting. 

Hell I can kite in 5 knots in my buggy and 12m chrono. Get some apparent going and it can get some speed up. But ultimately its still desperation kiting. 

1 hour ago, plummet said:

Arc's are no good in ultra light winds.

+1 I wouldn't suggest kiteboarding in a low wind with an arc further than you're capable of swimming back.  The moment you lay them on the water you add so much weight they're a pig on a good day to relaunch let alone a light wind day.  On land in a buggy a high-aspect arc isn't so bad where you've got room to build apparent wind, @nigel has pulled some ridiculously good speeds in low wind on his Phantom2's.

1 hour ago, plummet said:

I think technology has moved on considerably since the arc days.

I don't think the full potential of the Arc has been explored.  @outlaw I believe is playing with tweaking some older designs, but essentially there's complete under-investment in the R&D of arcs and most probably due to patents.  It's the same when Tubes came out and they screamed the demise of the foil, yet today if you want to race they're on foils.  It just got to a point that companies like Gin, F-One, Flysurfer, Ozone and Elf decided the return was worth the R&D investment.  This hasn't happened with Arcs yet, their place will be top-speed records when there's sufficient interest, competition and relaxing of patents.  Flat kites only go so far in high-winds before they're borderline unusable, it's the old Bow vs C for stability debate and we ended up somewhere in the middle with bridled C-Kites.  

On 3/23/2016 at 1:35 PM, .Joel said:

On land in a buggy a high-aspect arc isn't so bad where you've got room to build apparent wind, @nigel has pulled some ridiculously good speeds in low wind on his Phantom2's.

Only had my 15m Phantom 2 out once, that was in 6-7 knots on shore in the buggy.

It took a while before you got up enough apparent wind, but topped out doing 61kph and the only reason I couldn't go faster was it was pulling the back end of the buggy out, so there was more in the tank.

I only got it out for a test run, as I didn't expect to much from the Arc in the low winds (as Arc's don't work well in the bottom end of their wind range).

It did inflate very easily in those winds, but I put it down to brand new crispy material.

I know my new GT will hold more power down, so I would expect to go quicker.