Construction of Kite Nasa

Renato Borowski Filho

Good morning everyone. I am a kitesurfer who for 10 years I live 600km from the nearest beach and can only practice 1 to 2 times a year, when there are wind conditions on the beach that flew. I am wanting to start the practice of kiteskating and decided to build a NASA kite and I am using the first version of the construction program (see the attached image), building a 3.9m² NASA. The first wing flew but I am experiencing instability problems in the nose, although it has a lot of traction, in the dives it closes the nose inwards, creating breath, loss of pressure and speed. I would like to know if someone can help me with this construction or if they can indicate a specific location for it. I would like to build one like NASA Star because I see how stable it is. Thank you very much.

20200906_123602[1].jpg

20200906_123615(0).jpg

20200906_123617.jpg

foto programa.jpg

On 9/7/2020 at 11:14 AM, .Joel said:

Welcome Renato, @SoutherlyBusterbuilt a large orange Nasa. He may be able to help 🙂

Hi Renato, Southerly Buster here. Joel is right I have built nasa kites from 0.75m^2 up to 9 m^2. Must say they are one of the most challenging kites to fly. It is usually the trailing edge that begins to flutter if nit enough backline tension applied, too much and she flies backwards. They are just for giggles kite or for pure down winders. They have very poor upwind er um no up wind performance. If the nose is collapsing I would say too much tension on the bridle, not the front lines but the bridle. Did you sew in those little straps on the nose underside to the top of the nose? That plan you show looks like the one I started from.

Ok some more thoughts, from your pics looks like you only have front lines? I use 4 for best control.  You need a very fine control with you hands, especially the balance between front and rear tension.

On 9/10/2020 at 4:50 AM, SoutherlyBuster said:

Hi Renato, Southerly Buster here. Joel is right I have built nasa kites from 0.75m^2 up to 9 m^2. Must say they are one of the most challenging kites to fly. It is usually the trailing edge that begins to flutter if nit enough backline tension applied, too much and she flies backwards. They are just for giggles kite or for pure down winders. They have very poor upwind er um no up wind performance. If the nose is collapsing I would say too much tension on the bridle, not the front lines but the bridle. Did you sew in those little straps on the nose underside to the top of the nose? That plan you show looks like the one I started from.

Ok some more thoughts, from your pics looks like you only have front lines? I use 4 for best control.  You need a very fine control with you hands, especially the balance between front and rear tension.

My idea is to have a kite so I can take my first steps in kiteskating, so I decided to do this nasa and I would like to use it with a kitesurf bar, so I am using the front lines and the brake together, I saw a video of a depower for NASA and I was dreaming of being able to use it like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYAGJkNdUak&ab_channel=quedecree). I'm getting beaten a lot with the adjustments of the lines, this week I changed the measurements for the second version of the npw5, but as I had changed the distances of the T measurement it ended up going wrong and it made the collapse in the nose even worse. Here in my country I do not find material suitable for construction, in this case, I am using a thicker resin nylon of 75g and the lines I am finding thick, I am using 1.5mm rope which is making it heavy, besides they have a little stretch . I'm thinking of replacing it with a 50lb spectra line, but it's a cost that I don't know if it will give me a result for this kite. I'm about to give up, but I'm still going to do some tests. I really appreciate the comments, this is a way for me to get excited and try a little bit to get a good result.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning everyone. This week end I did some more tests and came to good conclusions about my nasa. Referring to the large closing in the nose, it was due to the brake lines being too loose, small adjustments in the brake lines already result in great results in the kite's nose. But the fact is that NASA cannot stay very still, because if you leave the brake line almost at the same distance from the attack lines, it can fly backwards, but the result was already much better, I got to be in pain arms because I'm not using a trapezoid to fix the bar around my waist. Another detail is that I am using a conventional kitesurf bar and the excess of command also creates collapses in the nose, so I am thinking of making a command bar with approximately 35cm that will maintain a good command and reduce the excess of command. My next step is to test the correction I saw on this link https://www.kiteplans.org/planos/teega/teega.html regarding the adjustment of line A1. What do you think of my observations?

NPW_Teega_13.jpg

I have a bunch of Steffen's Nasa Star's - and yes, you do have to keep them moving.  If they sit still and there is a slight lull in the wind, they will fly backwards.  They do technically have 'depower' but it is not very satisfactory to fly when slightly depowered.  I only use the depower in an emergency to dump the kite otherwise I fly them fully powered at all times.  They do have an interesting landing procedure though which you can see at 2:17 in the video...

On 29/09/2020 at 20:21, jhn.holgate said:

Eu tenho um monte de estrelas da Nasa de Steffen - e sim, você tem que mantê-los em movimento. Se eles ficarem parados e houver uma leve calmaria no vento, eles voarão para trás. Eles têm tecnicamente 'depower', mas não é muito satisfatório voar quando um pouco depowered. Eu só uso o depower em uma emergência para despejar a pipa, caso contrário, eu os empurro com força o tempo todo. Eles têm um procedimento de pouso interessante, que você pode ver às 2:17 no vídeo ...

Good Morning. I went back to making adjustments to my NASA NPW using version 2.0.2. The kite showed a good flight using 20m lines but sometimes I notice that the kite flies in reverse, but it has improved a lot. I made all possible adjustments of the brake, if I release the brake more the nose bends, if I tighten the brake more the kite flies backwards more often. The situation gets worse when I try to use levers or a bar with short lines to skate on asphalt, there is nothing I can do that he doesn't back up quickly, unlike NASA STAR, I saw some videos where he kept on top even using a bar. Could anyone explain to me what can be done to resolve this situation or give me some line measurements that can give me a more effective angle of attack? Attached is the measurements I used.

1 minute ago, Renato Borowski Filho said:

Bom Dia. Voltei a fazer ajustes no meu NASA NPW usando a versão 2.0.2. O kite mostrou um bom vôo em linhas de 20m mas às vezes eu noto que o kite voa em ré, mas melhorou muito. Fiz todos os ajustes possíveis no freio, se eu soltar o freio mais o nariz dobra, se eu apertar mais o freio a pipa voa para trás com mais frequência. A situação piora quando tento usar alavancas ou uma barra com linhas curtas para patinar no asfalto, não há nada que eu possa fazer que ele não dê ré rapidamente, ao contrário do NASA STAR, vi alguns vídeos onde ele se manteve por cima mesmo usando uma barra. Alguém poderia me explicar o que pode ser feito para resolver esta situação ou me dar algumas medidas de linha que podem me dar um ângulo de ataque mais eficaz? Em anexo estão as medidas que usei.

tela construcao.jpg

After tests and more tests, take lines, put lines, change nozzle, studies and studies, frustrations of arriving at the site to test and be disappointed with the performance, I had an idea of adjustment and today when testing my NPW5 I had this happy answer. I never thought a NASA would have as good a stability as I can show in this video. I managed to assemble in the 2-line system and leave a depower on the nozzle ready or use toggles to cram with the 4 lines. The kite stops in the corner of the window, over 45º and stopped falling backwards, gained speed, strength and the nozzle greatly reduced the closings, only closes a little in the strongest controls and in the lack of wind when it is without pressure. I loved the performance and even managed to walk a few meters with my skateboard.

This was a test I did with the kite in hand, a kitesurf bar with 1m lines to use with skateboard on the asphalt.

3 horas atrás, Jhn.Holgate disse:

Parece bom! Eu os acho complicados em linhas curtas, pois há um pouco de turbulência lá embaixo e do seu corpo. Uma vez que você tem um pouco de velocidade, ele realmente vai começar a puxar.

Good morning jhn.holgate. What I could observe is that flights with large lines is infinitely better, the kite gains greater speed and much more strength. What I could see in the videos where people use short bars is that they are very windy locations, which makes use easier. Now I will leave for the construction of the NPW9b of 6m and working i make a 9m, so I get my complete set, will only be missing a good skateboard. The group has been of great help.

• 1 year later...

Gonna zombie this thread!

Just wanted to chip in with a great trick for fixing nose tuck without having to add rear line tension.  Cut a piece of pipe insulation foam to the same length as the central leading edge, and fit this into the leading edge when you fly it.  I did this on mine by sewing in velcro rather than the little leading edge lines.  This allowed me to easily adjust the amount of 'tuck' on the leading edge, but also allowed me to fit the foam as an experiment.  When I tried the foam the result was so good that I just didn't go with the original plan of playing with the amount of 'tuck' on the nose.

If anyone is interested I can throw up photos and videos at some point.  It may take a few weeks as the kite was eaten by some gorse bushes at Pembrey last Friday, so it needs a little TLC before it flies again.

• 1 year later...