Ride Up, Fly Down

.Joel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 6:00 PM, SoutherlyBuster said:

Any one notice he twisted the bar around to reverse of what we usually use on land when he was flying down the hill, i.e. kite facing away from him? Good find Joel.

That was a good notation!  Any comments on why the aerodynamics of the kite would be better for gliding down with the trailing edge acting as the leading edge?  I've got zero flight experience other than one huge accidental flight that almost killed me so I won't be trying this, but I sure am curious.

1 hour ago, windstruck said:

That was a good notation!  Any comments on why the aerodynamics of the kite would be better for gliding down with the trailing edge acting as the leading edge?  I've got zero flight experience other than one huge accidental flight that almost killed me so I won't be trying this, but I sure am curious.

Simple, the leading edge is facing down hill and that is where the apparent wind is coming from. Wings do not fly well backwards. Gravity pulls you down hill, that is what generates the apparent wind.

21 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

Simple, the leading edge is facing down hill and that is where the apparent wind is coming from. Wings do not fly well backwards. Gravity pulls you down hill, that is what generates the apparent wind.

That of course makes good sense.   However, from the video it appears that the TRAILING edge is in front and he is holding the bar the other way on the way down than the way up.  One the way up it appears that he has the red side of the bar to the left but not on the way down when the red side is now to the right.  Also, the big decal on the kite is reversed.