foil kites for wave surfing on coast

• 7 months later...

I would like to know the same thing. I try to ride waves in with a 12m Soul and some sort of success but don't really have the maneuverability and the kite is very fast and flying forward in the window. I guess you'd need a low aspect ratio kite.

• 3 weeks later...

There is only one foil kite that is actually designed for waves - the "wave" (previously called the smart wave) from Concept Air in Canada.  They also work great for hydrofoil of course (as most of the videos show), but it might be worth a look.  You can find some reviews (via google translate) on  lesfoilz (french forum). 

https://www.google.com/search?q=concept+air+wave&source=lnms&tbm=vid

• 1 month later...

I only fly foil kites and mostly ride in the surf. I prefer fast and quick turning kites. The type of board you ride is important too, it is all about quick turning and once on the wave to be able to ride it like a surfboard. Nothing beats racing down the wave for a quick bottom hand turn back up to the lip and back down again. For this you need both a board and kite the turns quick.

So what works the least for me, wait for it, the wooden spoon goes to the Peter Lynn FARC18m^2. It is a fun kite on the land for a change, for straightline speed, but if you like getting smashed by waves whilst waiting for the kite to turn, well this is the kite for you.

My FlySurfer 18m^2 Speed IV Lotus is great for those lazy light wind days in the surf and turns quick enough. Nice to boost over the waves. My FlySurfer Speed III 12m^2 turns quick enough to have some fun and yes those bottom hand turns are possible, but if the wind is too much it is too much of a handful.

My FlySurfer 8m^2 Speed IV, oh ya. When the wind is right, this is awesome. Fast kite, fast turning. So far all the sessions I mentioned are with a purpose built kite surfboard, an Underground Kipuna. The company is now called Axis boards, started from a local here in Christchurch, Adrian Roper. Sorry tray riders you will have to learn how to ride uni-directional for one of these but is well worth the effect.

Personally I like the high performance kites to give good upwind performance to get past the breakers, I mean who wants to be continuously bashed by waves with a low aspect drag bucket whilst trying to get out the back where the action is.

From time to time, your kite will go for a swim, my FS twin skins have not let me down, all but in the most extreme light wind conditions. Yes they do float and are water relaunchable.

Hydrofoil boards are another mater, so far my experience has been the one I ride tends to get over powered and breach very easily once the apparent wind kicks in.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2020 at 7:38 PM, Pari said:

I've just seen a FS Pulse 5m on Seabreeze. I've shot them an email to see if they'll sell it on it's own as it's advertised with a Peak 3 12m. Does anyone have any experience with a little Pulse like this, I'm thinking as a high wind wave kite!

Hi mate, I've only flown a 7m Pulse and it was heaps good fun. Stable, heaps of power, good lift and felt super safe overall. If it's in good condition I think you will have a ball mate. It really just did what it was told and delivered well.

14 minutes ago, bakersdozen said:

Hi mate, I've only flown a 7m Pulse and it was heaps good fun. Stable, heaps of power, good lift and felt super safe overall. If it's in good condition I think you will have a ball mate. It really just did what it was told and delivered well.

Thanks for that. I haven't heard back from the seller yet.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By MR AEGIS
      So today was the first sess with the hornet and to be honest I was expecting almost no wind so was planning to go out with the twister. To my suprise a nice SE wind 13 to 18 MPH which means the wind runs across the airfield before it gets to the fields where I am, great, all smooth and sustained.

Un pack handles and lines, all good, Identical to the twisters. Lines pre streched Dynema all the same length which is nice as no adjustments needed. Attached the killers which are very comfortable to wear and dont get in the way.

Big orange stake which means I now have two of the buggers and i am not looking forward to sticking them in hard ground.

Kite, nice build as to be expected from PL, bridles lines handles all colour coded for ease. One thing that did surprise me is that I was expecting 2.0 square meters when infact the kite is 2 meters long I would say its bigger, any how Attached everything pulled the stake and Woooosh up she went straight to the Zenith and just sat there waiting, Pleasing.

Some small turns to start = very responsive, turns on a dime. On the brakes she will stop dead where ever she is and with some tweeking you can hold her there stationary which was really cool, she will fold sometimes on the brakes and I had one wing tip fold to the middle and it still flew, just a sharp tug on the power lines was all that was needed to reinflate the kite and continue.

Landing and reverse take offs are a sinch, she will fly almost completely in reverse up to the zenith before wanting to roll over

Nice power generated through the power zone I am 16 stone and she had me leaning into her big time during the gusts. one thing which was nice is that she produces next to no lift which makes her Ideal for a beginner

Apologies for the quick review im off out so i am rushing. I would however recomend this kite to all you woodby kiters out there and for the more experienced it would be an ideal high wind kite.
    • By garrettAir
      Legend 3- first 30 hours-

I bought this kite to learn to kiteboard. I decided I would put 30 hours in with it and get in the water- skipping instruction. Of course, I am writing from my hospital bed- just kidding. What actually happened, and this probably has some positive reflection on the product, is I developed an interest in powerkiting and bought an Ace 5.

Anyway, how it flys.
      I can only compare it to the Ace. But it flys very well. Controls are very stable and flys with brakes very nicely. It isn't lifty like the Ace, but it is pretty well mannered in big wind. Once I get my skates built I think I will probably use it a lot. I almost wish they made this thing bigger. I wonder if it is more like the Blaze?

How is it holding up? It has had some tough times- it was attacked by two large kite- eating dogs about the 3rd time out. (I am not kidding about this). I had to punch the primary dog repeadetly to get it back. He finnaly let me unhook a shred from the leading edge it from his tooth. Which I recall appeared to be about 8 inches long...

I patched it up with some dacron tape I sewed on with an easy stitch (needle to large but still worked) and it still flys great. The rubber on the handles is slipping up and the handle lines are fraying. The lines are pretty stretchy. In big wind when it hits the power window it seems like I can feel them stretching like- idunno 4 feet maybe? feels like it. anyway. Kind of scary actually, you think no way this is going to hold, but they still do. Good thing it is not that lifty- I haven't gotten enough air with this thing yet that if the lines broke over sand i would be injured- Ace is a different story though.
      The kite itself shows some wear (mostly dirt) but still works great- bridles are fine and material holds well.

So the finall rating- don't know how it compares to a lot of kites but i can't remember when I have had this much fun with 100 bucks. Talk about bang for the buck.
      Thumbs way up.
      Will need new lines and handles pretty quick though- but remember, we are talking about 30 hours here. Might buy a few spools of that q-power stuff. Lines need to be right for my weight I think, not kite size.
    • By xXRisingSunXx
      I ve only just got this kite its a couple of weeks old so ive only had a few flying experinces with it but ill be a fair as i can be.

The kite comes in a very nice bag very wide and over all very comfotable its got a smaller front pocket for the kite killers and stake i the main bag has enough room for cans of coke and enough room left over for a stacker

Anyway enough about the bag the kite its very stronge and the instuctions could nt be any easyier to understand even i could set it up you just connect 4 to 4 red to red ect.
      The handles are very soft but to be honest they will not break so thats all good, once again the handles very easy to connect to the lines just connect 1 to 1 red to red.
      the kite killers have been my best friend when you think this is out of control the kites heading for the tree's just let go and watch the bungy cord do all the work ( just make sure you've larks head knoted to the break lines other wise you may find yourself in a spot of bother.
      The stake well i think mine is for sand cos it will never stay in the ground and you can t push any further down ( if you are gonna buy something i recomend a new one)
      The flying the first time i took my hornet out its was incredibly windy and the kite was mocking the wind it never lost stablity it never did anything i did'nt want it to do it never missed a beat. The kite is still truely outstanding it really is its everything i wanted its easy to control its nice and easy to pack up and it really good for jumping , it very powerful and its great value for money ( if you have a look around)
      over all i think that the kite is excellent and if you thinking about buying one dont think just do it you will never look back and wish you never got one.