foil kites for wave surfing on coast

Rick Williams

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is only one foil kite that is actually designed for waves - the "wave" (previously called the smart wave) from Concept Air in Canada.  They also work great for hydrofoil of course (as most of the videos show), but it might be worth a look.  You can find some reviews (via google translate) on  lesfoilz (french forum). 

https://www.google.com/search?q=concept+air+wave&source=lnms&tbm=vid

• 1 month later...

I only fly foil kites and mostly ride in the surf. I prefer fast and quick turning kites. The type of board you ride is important too, it is all about quick turning and once on the wave to be able to ride it like a surfboard. Nothing beats racing down the wave for a quick bottom hand turn back up to the lip and back down again. For this you need both a board and kite the turns quick.

So what works the least for me, wait for it, the wooden spoon goes to the Peter Lynn FARC18m^2. It is a fun kite on the land for a change, for straightline speed, but if you like getting smashed by waves whilst waiting for the kite to turn, well this is the kite for you.

My FlySurfer 18m^2 Speed IV Lotus is great for those lazy light wind days in the surf and turns quick enough. Nice to boost over the waves. My FlySurfer Speed III 12m^2 turns quick enough to have some fun and yes those bottom hand turns are possible, but if the wind is too much it is too much of a handful.

My FlySurfer 8m^2 Speed IV, oh ya. When the wind is right, this is awesome. Fast kite, fast turning. So far all the sessions I mentioned are with a purpose built kite surfboard, an Underground Kipuna. The company is now called Axis boards, started from a local here in Christchurch, Adrian Roper. Sorry tray riders you will have to learn how to ride uni-directional for one of these but is well worth the effect.

Personally I like the high performance kites to give good upwind performance to get past the breakers, I mean who wants to be continuously bashed by waves with a low aspect drag bucket whilst trying to get out the back where the action is.

From time to time, your kite will go for a swim, my FS twin skins have not let me down, all but in the most extreme light wind conditions. Yes they do float and are water relaunchable.

Hydrofoil boards are another mater, so far my experience has been the one I ride tends to get over powered and breach very easily once the apparent wind kicks in.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2020 at 7:38 PM, Pari said:

I've just seen a FS Pulse 5m on Seabreeze. I've shot them an email to see if they'll sell it on it's own as it's advertised with a Peak 3 12m. Does anyone have any experience with a little Pulse like this, I'm thinking as a high wind wave kite!

Hi mate, I've only flown a 7m Pulse and it was heaps good fun. Stable, heaps of power, good lift and felt super safe overall. If it's in good condition I think you will have a ball mate. It really just did what it was told and delivered well.

14 minutes ago, bakersdozen said:

Hi mate, I've only flown a 7m Pulse and it was heaps good fun. Stable, heaps of power, good lift and felt super safe overall. If it's in good condition I think you will have a ball mate. It really just did what it was told and delivered well.

Thanks for that. I haven't heard back from the seller yet.

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2020 at 9:58 AM, Dave from Sweden said:

There is only one foil kite that is actually designed for waves - the "wave" (previously called the smart wave) from Concept Air in Canada.  They also work great for hydrofoil of course (as most of the videos show), but it might be worth a look.  You can find some reviews (via google translate) on  lesfoilz (french forum). 

https://www.google.com/search?q=concept+air+wave&source=lnms&tbm=vid

Was it you that hydrofoil'd with a Concept Air in Fiskebäck last summer? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 1:26 AM, Pari said:

Thanks for that. I haven't heard back from the seller yet.

Hi @Pari, the FS Pulse is a very old kite, not that the design is necessarily up to scratch but aging of the kite may prove to end up as a disappointment for you. My FS Speed III 12m^2 was my first FS kite and my second foil kite, must be about 10 years ago (would have to dig up the records for sure) and is not the kite it used to be. The internal lining will fade and cause porosity which as we all know degrades performance. No response from seller, hm, oops just spotted that date on that. Either way for others reading this be warned against purchasing old kites.

47 minutes ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

Hi @Pari, the FS Pulse is a very old kite, not that the design is necessarily up to scratch but aging of the kite may prove to end up as a disappointment for you. My FS Speed III 12m^2 was my first FS kite and my second foil kite, must be about 10 years ago (would have to dig up the records for sure) and is not the kite it used to be. The internal lining will fade and cause porosity which as we all know degrades performance. No response from seller, hm, oops just spotted that date on that. Either way for others reading this be warned against purchasing old kites.

Thanks @SoutherlyBuster, yes it was a bit of a stretch that an old 5m FS would be OK for a wave kite. But I never heard back from the seller anyway.