Had a quick session on Tuesday

RedSky

Had a short session yesterday. The forecast looked promising, 60kph with 82kph gusts, perhaps enough wind to reach my PB, who knows.
Got rolling at 10am. Tide in by 11:15am, so had to be quick.

The beach was in perfect condition and I had it all to myself but the wind started to drop during the hour, and of course picks up again as the tide covers the beach.
Still, I topped out at 100kph but I'm paying the price. My arm is killing me. It felt broken yesterday, like I needed a sling to put it in. Today is better though.

Did not bother reaching for the trim when heading up wind and because time was against me I just ignored it. The load on my right arm was too much.

I need one of those trim extensions I think. 

Anyway, here's hoping for better conditions next time. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB9yUGw0ISg

Hey Tiger,

You are correct my good sir. I believe you mentioned that you had your honeymoon close by in Rye?

I do love this beach, although its less than ideal for speed runs. You have to get the power down straight away if you want to go fast or you'll run out of room quick, so gale force winds at a minimum.

The kite is a Genetrix Hydra 7m, a great storm kite yet pulls strongly from 35kph. The canopy is extremely flat, held rigid by a bridle that connects directly to the struts. This makes it possible for the kite to be that flat. The canopy stiffens also as the wind increases but relaxes as gusts hit.  There's so much depower that you could easily stall the kite in gale.

Perhaps the only LEI you could ever hope to hot launch in high wind and live.

On the downside , heavy bar pressure, its not for everyone. I do miss the light bar of the 7m Cabrinha Crossbow for this reason, another great kite for high wind, although it tops out earlier than the Hydra. Its a shame they stopped making that kite and to add insult to injury there's now no production of the Genetrix Hydra either. They've decided to temporarily postpone production.