New single skin kite from Ozone for 2019 called the "Explore". It will be available in 4, 6, 9 & 12m and looks to be aimed as direct competition to the FS Peak.

Manufacturer's blurb:

"The new Explore by Ozone has something to offer for everyone. Consistent pull through the wind window, instant de-power, minimal upward lift, relatively slow flying speed, and damage-resistant single surface design make the Explore an amazing kite for entry level and intermediate riders. Advanced riders can push the boundaries - tight and dynamic or slow lazy loops can navigate difficult terrain while excellent drift allows riding down slopes without worring about the kite. For experts the lightweight design means it can fly in very light wind, allowing you to work the low end efficiently without having to worry about keeping the kite in the sky. The proven Re-Ride System means you can land the kite quickly and safely."

I was thinking of getting the 12m Shaman 2 as a low wind engine but it looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit now.

https://ozonekites.com/products/land-snow-kites/explore-v1/

https://vimeo.com/293139314

explore.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a 6 and 9 . Love the 6 but 9 doesn't suit as they are for sand dune only buggying and want a faster turn speed. Dunes are tight here. I'm going to trade 9 back for a 4 mtr. As far as power, awesome. Low end grunt is good. Good wind range and depower. Been using modded PL singles for a couple of years but now want depower.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea it's a good spot but There's a group of people here that hate dirt bikes and dune buggies and have fenced the main dune .I've been going in still and can't see the harm I'm doing , no spinning wheels , no noise , no damage.  Try telling them to look at what the wind can do in an hour. They drive around in there beach patrol Suzuki Jeep. Think they are after me.  Now I head way up beach and they still watching. Do you have issues in oz like this

13 minutes ago, winddrifter said:

Yea it's a good spot but There's a group of people here that hate dirt bikes and dune buggies and have fenced the main dune .I've been going in still and can't see the harm I'm doing , no spinning wheels , no noise , no damage.  Try telling them to look at what the wind can do in an hour. They drive around in there beach patrol Suzuki Jeep. Think they are after me.  Now I head way up beach and they still watching. Do you have issues in oz like this

Ya just ask the kiters at Stockton Beach, NSW, Australia. On long weekends the beach is a like a scene from a Max Scene due to cars being allowed on the beach. Then the rangers tell the kiters to go away from the beach and or the dunes. Go figure.

• .Joel featured this topic
On 12/26/2018 at 3:56 AM, SoutherlyBuster said:

Ya just ask the kiters at Stockton Beach, NSW, Australia. On long weekends the beach is a like a scene from a Max Scene due to cars being allowed on the beach. Then the rangers tell the kiters to go away from the beach and or the dunes. Go figure.

I just don't get that mentality eh ... "Look a pristine stretch of nature unsullied by civilization ... let's drive our cars up and down it because the roads just aren't enough."

• 2 weeks later...
  • .Joel unfeatured this topic
  • 1 year later...

On 12/3/2018 at 6:34 PM, winddrifter said:

I've got a 6 and 9 . Love the 6 but 9 doesn't suit as they are for sand dune only buggying and want a faster turn speed. Dunes are tight here. I'm going to trade 9 back for a 4 mtr. As far as power, awesome. Low end grunt is good. Good wind range and depower. Been using modded PL singles for a couple of years but now want depower.

Hi Winddrifter, still happy with them?  A mate has put them on his shortlist as his son's first depower for landboarding after he blew up the cells in their trainer kite :D 

ozone_explore_v1_kite_001.jpg

ozone_explore_v1_kite_002.jpg

ozone_explore_v1_kite_003.jpg

ozone_explore_v1_kite_004.jpg

ozone_explore_v1_kite_005.jpg

ozone_explore_v1_kite_006.jpg

ozone_explore_v1_kite_007.jpg

• .Joel changed the title to Ozone Explore Kite

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By bobbarnes00
      I got my first kite, the Ozone Fury 2m, last May followed up by a Scrub Furnace Creek mountain board (£150 off a German eBay store) in September and then a 2006 Radsail Pro II 5m in January (£132 off an eBay shop). I’ve also had the privilege of playing with a Scrub Lion Canyon MB, a 3.6m HQ Beamer, a 4m Blade, a 4.9m Blade (with handles and with bar) and a 6.6m HQ Crossfire. I’ll cover most of these, discussing the pros and cons as I see them. For your reference, I’m about 12stones (75kg or 165pounds) and like bucket loads of adrenaline.

Mountain Boards

The Lion Canyon is very small. Size 10 feet rub on the wheels as you are trying to turn, which can lead to quite a lot of face plants, as well as a nice streak of rubber on your shoes. It gets quite a bit of speed wobble, although tightening up the trucks can reduce that.

The Furnace Creek is great for both down hilling and kiting. It has bigger wheels which are more forgiving over rough ground and allow more speed as well, if pumped up nice and hard. The suspension is good – not just a gimmick. I’ve only used it on its stiffest setting, as I’m not good enough yet to loosen it up. Loosening it up allows for tighter turns, but makes it harder to control, plus you’ll get speed wobble at lower speeds. Speed wobble is when you get to a certain speed, the board will start shaking uncontrollably and you inevitably end up chewing grass. The only real downside of this board is that it’s quite heavy, which gives it strength, but makes jumping, 180s, and carrying it uphill hard work.

If money wasn’t a problem, what would I ride? Comp 16 Pro.

Kites

The 2m Fury is a great kite. It flies in very little wind. In moderate winds it can tug me along on the board or scud me (especially at night when the grass is damp) and in strong winds I can do little swing jumps with it – swooping it one way across the centre of the window whilst I jump the other, like a pendulum. In a fair wind in Norway, I even managed to go kite blading in the snow (snow blades are essentially very short skis) – so much easier than boarding on land. It’s perfect for introducing mates to kiting, as it can provide some power and excitement, but is not likely to be dangerous.

The 3.6m HQ Beamer provides marginally more power than the 2m Fury, but it doesn’t go up as easily (heavier material), it luffs a bit more and it’s not great at the edge of the window.

The 4m Blade was pleasant – a good bit of boarding was done in a fairly tame wind. It was easy to get up, although noticeably slower through the air than the smaller kites. Handles very well at the edge of the window.

The 4.9m blade was insane, particularly in terms of lift. I had a nice long play using the handles, although didn’t dare try it with the board as my control of it was limited, and I was only just learning to board and kite at the same time. Did quite a few jumps and loved it. Then switched to a bar, which was the first time I had ever used a bar. It scared me, as I couldn’t brake the kite (and I use brake turns a lot) and so couldn’t manoeuvre the kite very quickly. Hence, I couldn’t just dabble with the power zone – if it was going through it, it was going all the way through it. After a short spell on it, my confidence began to build and so I tried a small swoop through the power zone. I was unceremoniously plucked up about 12 – 15 feet (high enough to struggle to focus on the grass in the fading light) and then dropped again. The landing was rough enough to jolt, but not so hard that I fell over.

My 5m Radsail. This is my new toy which I’ve saved long and hard for, but I’ll try to remain impartial. The red caps you get for the handles to wind the strings up are brilliant – unpacking the kite simply couldn’t get any quicker. The zip on the bag problem – it is terrible if I zip it one way, but fine if I go the other – I guess that’s why some people find problems with it and others don’t.

It has some of the same drawbacks as the Beamer, in that it luffs a bit more than I’d like it too, especially near the edge, and that it’s a heavy material which makes it hard to get up in light winds. It has more power than the beamer, but not as much as I’d have expected from a kite this size, but then the only other 5m I’ve flown is a Blade. Generally, it does look good and flies well and is good value for money. In a smooth 6mph wind the other day (according to the Racekites weather site), I got going really well on the board with both this and the Beamer. I could even get the beamer to drag me uphill, which I couldn’t with this kite, but I think that that was largely down to me being more experienced with the Beamer and being able to keep it closer to the zone. I’ve had to shorten the brake lines on the Radsail, as they were so long that I could hardly brake it at all. The lift on this kite isn’t great – it’s not for jumping with.

The 6.6m Crossfire. Awesome. Loads of power, nice to control. Quite a bit of lift. Didn’t dare board with it, but it would be good.

If money weren’t a problem: Ozone Riot 7m (although I’ve never flown one, and I don’t think I’m good enough yet to handle it properly anyway).

Conclusions

The more expensive kites tend to be made out of lighter materials which make them easier to fly in lower winds.

The 2m Fury is brilliant for small people and beginners, but is quickly outgrown.

The 4m Blade is roughly equal in power to a 5m Radsail.

The 4.9m Blade had less power but more lift than the 6.6m Crossfire.

The Lion Canyon is a small board – not suitable for most male adults.

The Furnace Creek is very good for kiting and down hilling, but not for jumping.

Author : bobbarnes00
    • By 300678
      So i got this, my first depowerable about three months ago, having spent about a year and a half boarding with blades and bullets. Ozone bill it as an 'entry level depower foil designed wih ease of use for backcountry snowboarding in mind'. It's an easy kite to use, with loads of pull, but with next to no lift, making it great in a buggy.

First off, the Access 10mtr retails for about £470, a great price for an ozone depowerable. The kite comes with everything you need; bar+lines, chicken loop locking finger, repair patches and of course, ozone keyring. Everything is up to the usual incredible build quality so often seen with ozone products; i expect to be flying this 2 years from now (at least).

The access comes with the Ozone re-ride safety system as seen on the '05/'06 frenzy, and works perfectly, whenever you are in trouble just give it a pull and you are instantly safe, and of course it comes with the new chicken loop safety, although i havn't had a chance to test yet (thankfully).

Access is made from ozone 40d nylon, as seen on the fury, and is fine, nice and light, making the access useable even in the lowest of winds. Although called a de-powerable it doesn't have a sheeting system as seen on any other, instead it is adjusted using a series of knots, which is just as effective and easy to use. The kite is designed to be flown unhooked as well, in that it comes with a wrist leash which you can attach to the handbrake. Unhooked this kite is incredible, even in the low winds it pulls like a train!

This is a great kite for medium wind boarding; it flies very well, predictable and smooth, with very little luffs or stalling. It pulls a great amount in around 10mph, and is enough to ride in easily 6, although just like ozone say; this kite has no lift whatsoever, in any wind. This is fine, as it is designed as a beginner's depower foil, a job that it does very well.

This is also a great kite for use in the buggy; it has great upwind performance, and performs incredibly will, allowing you to 'lock and ride' i.e hold it in one place, and gun it! I have seen it being used on the water, but obviously it is not water-relaunchable, so isn't best for surfing. I believe this kite would be very good in the snow, but again i havn't been able to try it.

In conclusion, a great value depowerable foil for the beginner market, it is very safe and very efficient, and i would recommend this kite to anyone (just bear in mind that it does not lif at all).

By : 300678
    • By Joen_ii
      Bag Contents:
      Kite
      2 Lines (20 or 25M)
      Standard Wrist Straps
      Ozone Sticker and Keyring

From a beginner point of view the kite is very well constructed. Couldn't fault it. I knew I had made a good choice as my first kite.

First Flight - Very disappointing. There was no wind near where I live so, decided to go to a country park with an open field on a hill. A bit of a light wind - but there was no way it was staying up. So had to sit and wait. Few days later, there was a bit more wind. So in sheer desparation (far too eager to fly) I had another go. This time it was good - speeded along swopping and diving. Keeps you on your toes. Then that was it - I was hooked. I'm now taking it everywhere and flying it everychance I get.

Kite Review
      As this is my first kite I don't really have any experience to give a proper review, but here goes. Easy setup and pack away - oozes quality. It flys really well, very fast and generates a good pull in the right wind conditions. Stable enough for a beginner. I would recommend padded wrist straps as the standard tend rub and become annoying.

I recommend this kite to anyone wanting to get into kiting and it will get you wanting to move on to the 4 liners.
      By : Joen_ii