What's everyone's go to kite in patchy light wind.

twojaythomo

Just wanted to see what people like in light winds,  I haven't tried many different kites but by far the best one I have is the 12m FS Peak 2, it just floats and drifts really well without falling out of the sky,  wind range is pretty big too really love this kite. 

Definitely want to replace my 9m PL P2 with another FS Peak.

@twojaythomo I have a FS Peak 1 9m which has been my go to kite for lightish winds. However, at Kingston last year there was a mere slight breeze one day and my 9m Peak just had no power although it did launch. @Chook leant me a 15m Chrono and we cruised all the way to the Granites and back. Superb low upwind performance. I have recently acquired a second hand Ozone Chrono 15m as my light wind kite!!

An alternative of course is Born Kites Long Star 2 or Race Star which are great value for money kites. I have the 3.5 and 7.5m Long Star 2 in my quiver. 

The two posts so far seem to directly reflect my experience as well.  My original low wind "Session Saver" was also the 12m FS P2.  Later I had successful low wind sessions in the buggy with the 12.5m Born-Kite LS2.  I found that kite to be a bit of a slow turner and a bit too barge like for my optimal preference.  I recently acquired a Born-Kite RaceStar quiver which includes an 11m size.  It proved to be a faster and more responsive kite in super low winds than the 12.5m LS2.  In head to head long beach runs I could almost, but not quite, keep up with two other riders both flying 12m P2s when using my 11m RS.

I've watched friends have great sessions in ultra low wind with various Chrono sizes.  That seems to be an amazing low wind engine in the larger sizes!

15m speed 3 delux. If you can get it to launch by running backwards then it’s enough wind to buggy with.

i was very surprised as well by the low end on my 13m venom2. Did a point run at yeppoon this year with it and the wind died on the way back. But managed to get home in about 5knots of wind. 

On 11/8/2018 at 6:56 AM, Tiger37 said:

@twojaythomo not sure where you are in NSW, but may be it’s time to try and get the NSW and Canberra kiters together  perhaps on the south coast? If we get light winds you can then try my Chrono! 

That sounds like a good idea. Suggest  Culburra/Currarong/7-mile depending on wind direction. Lots of holiday parks in the area if anybody want's to stay over.

That's me launching my Speed 3 15m DLX at about :40:00. Wind was perfect all afternoon. But the next day started out really light, I was the first one up with the 21m DLX. So, super light wind, the 21 for sure. Had some of my best rides on that thing this summer. (ATB, not buggy, btw)

Cheese flew on his race kites.

On 11/10/2018 at 6:59 AM, Tiger37 said:

Sounds good to me. We just need to agree a date. Are weekends best for most people?

Sounds like a plan.  I know my weekends are filled up, up to and including the 16th of December.  Maybe a weekend in January would be good. What are the tides like around then?

7 hours ago, BobM said:

Sounds like a plan.  I know my weekends are filled up, up to and including the 16th of December.  Maybe a weekend in January would be good. What are the tides like around then?

Ok Bob. I’m away from Canberra till 20 Nov but will investigate on my return and suggest a few dates. January is of course the Kingston meet so maybe we can put forward a few different weekends and see which one suits the majority. 

On 08/11/2018 at 11:48 PM, Kamikuza said:

Oh, didn't notice the forum this was in.

Still, if I have to use a kite bigger than 12m, if rather not, no matter the ride.

And yes I have ridden a buggy. Why do you ask?

Tis a shame.  6 to 8kts of wind and I'm foiling while others look on waiting for stronger winds.

In the buggy I can get going in less wind. Big foil kites are amazing. 

46 minutes ago, socommk233 said:

Tis a shame.  6 to 8kts of wind and I'm foiling while others look on waiting for stronger winds.

In the buggy I can get going in less wind. Big foil kites are amazing. 

Been there, done that, got the badge for long-distance swimming :D it's just not fun. You can't ride at the kite, cos it stalls and a foil just noodles into the water. So if I can't foil with the 10m tube, it's just not worth the candle. Even then, the bottom end is still a bit ho-hum sometimes.

2 hours ago, Kamikuza said:

Been there, done that, got the badge for long-distance swimming :D it's just not fun. You can't ride at the kite, cos it stalls and a foil just noodles into the water. So if I can't foil with the 10m tube, it's just not worth the candle. Even then, the bottom end is still a bit ho-hum sometimes.

How much foiling have you done with an 18m race foil kite? 

The guys at my beach kite all year round on one 10m lei which is great, but does limit summer days kiting. 

I'm still very much a noob on my home made foil but I'm able to do consistent runs upwind and down wind in 6 to 8. As I progressed this year I was able to cut harder up wind and down, downwind is more challenging but very much possible as I am reminded by the only other 2 guys that foil/foil cutting so fast down wind even to me it seems magical. 

In the end each to their own I guess. 

I'm happy to push my limits and skills in the low range. Yes I've swam in ,no it's not fun, but the numerous sessions I had this year while others sat watching have been worth every minute. 

• .Joel featured this topic
  • .Joel unfeatured this topic