Super Tracks 360 Kite Buggy Video

RedSky

• 2 weeks later...

that video gave me a tingle...

it is seriously an amazing viewpoint and an excellent showcase of the tech.. I assume that you film in 360 all the time and then adjust the shots, zoom, angles in post production ? from what I have seen of the things is that they record everything. which would give you so much room to pick and choose at a later date in regards to setting up shots and all..

brilliant mate thank you.

edit..

where the f#ck is the camera attached ?? 

@roblukin Lokk at THIS ----v

5becd28edb87b_ScreenShot2018-11-15at12_56_21pm.thumb.jpg.ca6aaf3432f4f73f3302efcdf2984586.jpg

come to think of it the more times I watch the video there more I am scratching my head. not only the camera angles and where is the camera actually located,  But also how stable a fixed object is. look at 4:55 and the kite. the kite is rock solid and the bike is bobbing. is the stabilisation in post ? and if so. how can we get some..

:0

On 15/11/2018 at 1:52 AM, igeighty said:

that video gave me a tingle...

it is seriously an amazing viewpoint and an excellent showcase of the tech.. I assume that you film in 360 all the time and then adjust the shots, zoom, angles in post production ? from what I have seen of the things is that they record everything. which would give you so much room to pick and choose at a later date in regards to setting up shots and all..

brilliant mate thank you.

edit..

where the f#ck is the camera attached ?? 

@roblukin Lokk at THIS ----v

5becd28edb87b_ScreenShot2018-11-15at12_56_21pm.thumb.jpg.ca6aaf3432f4f73f3302efcdf2984586.jpg

come to think of it the more times I watch the video there more I am scratching my head. not only the camera angles and where is the camera actually located,  But also how stable a fixed object is. look at 4:55 and the kite. the kite is rock solid and the bike is bobbing. is the stabilisation in post ? and if so. how can we get some..

:0

Thanks! You assume right my good man. The camera captures in 360. The rest is in post ( Adobe Premiere ), although the included Fusion software will hold the horizon for you, or let you chose your own Yaw, Pitch and Roll. Once you have selected those axis in three dimensions, everything then rotates around that point. Clever stuff!

A very low tech solution for mounting the camera was used in all my shots. At first I used a thin steel rod as I thought it would cast minimal shadows, however it gave a noticeable bounce as seen in the video. I later discovered a broom stick gave super steady results and I learnt how to hide shadows in Adobe from YouTube videos.

Regarding your picture, the broom stick was pushed into the end of the center strut before the kite was inflated. Once inflated, the bladder holds the stick rock solid. The stabilisation comes from sensors inside the camera that continuously record all the tiniest shakes and vibrations as data. 

That kite footage cost me my camera. Glad you appreciated it. xD

On 15/11/2018 at 1:52 AM, igeighty said:

22 hours ago, Mfwetu said:

Really impressive @RedSky. At the risk of embarrassing myself because I know nothing of the tech and don't know if this even exists but it looks like footage was shot from a drone on a programmed wireless tether?  :dontknow:

Thanks!

And thanks again, my mission was to stump you. You are not alone. :)

The Fusion uses two lenses, one on each side of the camera, both are slightly off-set from one another and both record 180 degrees onto their own SD card. You then import the footage into the Fusion software which then stitches together the footage from both cards and in the process hides the camera's selfie stick giving the impression that its floating in mid air. 

10 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

Great video, lots of contrasting camera angles. Though would have been nice for the camera wobbles to be synchronised with the music beat ;) . Those rows of pilons on the sand must be annoying.

Thanks!

As the tide recedes the beach is naturally split in two down its entire length separated by a river of standing water. On one side its super smooth, fast, safe and free of obstacles which of course makes the entire experience as dull as dish water.

On the other side however, its full of stones and parked kites, line sets  and dangerous pilons, barking dogs and windsurfers giving me the finger. Happy days. :D

Synchronise the wobbles to the music? Behave. xD

4 hours ago, Mez said:

That video was full of magic tricks! 

You didn't loose the camera did you? Magic it back again!

What beach are you on? Up the Mersey way?

Thanks Mez.

The kite rolled onto its back during landing, dragging the camera through wet sand and over stones. Its irreplaceable lenses were completely ruined, £700 for ten minutes footage. Not sure I would do it again. I then had to wait four months for the wind to return before I could resume filming. When I said "Never has a video cost me so much in time and expense" I wasn't joking.  :/

Cambersands is located on the southeast coast of England with France just a stones throw across the channel. Its not a great beach but its all I have. Popular with Londoners, so can get very busy.

@RedSky sorry to hear that your GoPro Fusion lens got ruined. I guess I have always taken it for granted that the GoPros have a protective shell protecting the lens. Just googled it for the Fusion and see there is nothing for it due to the 360 degree field of view, argggg! Saw a Chineese made case for it, don’t know if that wrecks the 360 view. Sounds a like a poor design choice for an action cam targeted at extreme sports. 

No worries. It was bound to happen at some stage and I'm sure it will happen again.

Someone on YouTube reviewed the Fusion describing it as a very expensive disposable camera, I have to agree and it helps to know this beforehand. Riding with the fusion just 3" inches off the ground at high speed with stones flying all over the place is probably beyond what the designers had in mind. Their extreme sports marketing campaign belies the Fusion's fragility. Consider it as a new way to film rather than an out-and-out action camera.

The first generation of anything is never going to be free of design faults. I'm sure future designs will incorporate replaceable lenses.

• 2 years later...
  • .Joel changed the title to Super Tracks 360 Kite Buggy Video
  • .Joel featured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...