Sand in Your Undies at Kingston SE 2019

Mez

Hi Bob,

theres been many winter storms over the last few years which has eroded the the beach to almost claim the road as well  

the environmental greenies would only let them put sand bags there and were wash away in the first storm so this last winter common sense and local knowledge 

has sought funding and put in a large rock wall and rebuilt part of the dune system to enable the bike path and road to remain open 

once again marvellous thing local knowledge and not listening to the people in ivory towers who think they know best 

ps: sorry for getting on my soapbox but it seems to be happening in lots of situations 

Bull

4 hours ago, bull31 said:

Hi Bob,

theres been many winter storms over the last few years which has eroded the the beach to almost claim the road as well  

the environmental greenies would only let them put sand bags there and were wash away in the first storm so this last winter common sense and local knowledge 

has sought funding and put in a large rock wall and rebuilt part of the dune system to enable the bike path and road to remain open 

once again marvellous thing local knowledge and not listening to the people in ivory towers who think they know best 

ps: sorry for getting on my soapbox but it seems to be happening in lots of situations 

Bull

Thanks Bull

Not sure about the path Bob as we haven't been to Sandy Grove for cheese cake yet.

John H arrived today and Anne and I had coffee with Bull and Jen this morning.

A quick shake down on an 11m2 R1 run today after lunch and as Bull said the beach is absolutely pristine without a bump all the way up past the granites.

2019_01_14_15_57_52_Chook2_s_2_45_h_Kitesurfing_Kiting_Move_Internet_Explorer.jpg.51220d60073495b07354112ee3bb2946.jpg

Tomorrow is looking like a cracker day wind and tide wise. Top temp of only 28 degrees. (only 25 today) 

Had a look at the clay pan this morning with John and it is very good. We had a tiny bit of rain overnight and the surface is only slightly tacky in places. Over 100m out and I only have clay one one thong.

Give it a day or too and it should be rock hard. 

The beach is super smooth and the wind is onshore.

079C13BB-E3D2-4D57-A3E9-F605ABD0E007.jpeg

On 1/17/2019 at 8:17 PM, igeighty said:

Had a look at the clay pan this morning with John and it is very good. We had a tiny bit of rain overnight and the surface is only slightly tacky in places. Over 100m out and I only have clay one one thong.

give it a day or too and it should be rock hard. 

https://youtu.be/Ok6WCpOK88Y

tje beach is super smooth and the wind is onshore.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=035811d7f127f7b9

079C13BB-E3D2-4D57-A3E9-F605ABD0E007.jpeg

Taking a look at that video and your clay pan looks very much like our Ivanpah playa where we hold IBX each year just outside of Las Vegas at the NV/CA state line. Is this surface really abrasive?  Ivanpah could be likened to flat, rock hard, endlessly cracked 40# sandpaper. Plays hell on your kites if you drag them at high speeds under line tension. There's nothing like the swell feeling of riding at 40-50 mph, loose focus and dip your wingtip down until it touches. Like dropping your kite on a belt sander. I swear I saw a poof of red dust when I touched down a 4.0m Peak2 one year. Now it's a 3.9m. 

15 hours ago, windstruck said:

. Is this surface really abrasive?  

Just the opposite - it is a gypsum lake rather than a salt lake. The surface (when dry) is like talcum powder.  When damp is is like river mud - sucking the shoes off anyone who wades across it.

7 hours ago, BobM said:

Just the opposite - it is a gypsum lake rather than a salt lake. The surface (when dry) is like talcum powder.  When damp is is like river mud - sucking the shoes off anyone who wades across it.

Thanks!  There is an immense playa in central Oregon called Lake Alvord that especially hardy adventurers camp out at and ride forever. It is said to make Ivanpah seem like a postage stamp. The nearest services are miles away and approach to this playa is a long ways on crude dirt roads. You need to pack in everything, water and all.

The surface of Alvord is described in exactly the same way so they must be quite similar. Folks that have ridden it say you can slide your turns and scrub speed like you can on a beach. You can do this on Ivanpah but bring some extra tires. 

On 1/18/2019 at 3:55 PM, CasualRural said:

Great to hear the positive reports. We will get to Kingston on Tuesday, and probably catch up randomly shortly after :) 

Are you here yet @CasualRural

22 hours ago, Tiger37 said:

Love the orange Superman kite. Really jealous that I cannot be there this year.

Orange Superman is a Peter Lynn Astronaught - he’s pretty spectacular isn’t he?

We had an excellent day out of the beach yesterday. Anne, John, Dougie, Maggie and I all had a swim whilst watching Chook get out the biggest kite (dooner) I have ever seen. He did a couple of trips from just up from the Drain to the Granites and John also put a kite in the air. I had the Blo-fly tacking and jibing the beach and was mastering some upwind and downwind turns as the wind picked up strength, with both Dougie, John and Chook also having a go. The gradually strengthening wind was just perfect to get back into it as I hadn’t been out since Kingston 2018 - Dougie got some awesome footage on the drone which I’m sure will be made into a video once we’re home. The night finished up with a pub meal along with Bull and Jen and a sing-song with Anne

Yesterday was a good day with good people.

4 minutes ago, KaoS said:

Orange uniform... surely a Russian cosmonaut.  ☺️  And if you look closely, it's carrying a pair of six shooters!

Whoops - I was mis-informed. SPASIBO (Thank you in Russian) From where we were set up, we got to only admire his bottom!

8 hours ago, CasualRural said:

We're here :) However have been doing the family holiday thing so far. I left my yacht out at the clay pan. Hopefully catch you guys out on the beach soon.

Should be doing a beach run today - around 11am so see you out there

It is with heavy hearts that we loose a friend from Kingston SE this morning. Robyn from Sandy Grove was taken ill earlier this month and passed away this morning.

Our kite fly will be in her honour today - and her amazing spirit and produce. She will be missed by all the frequent Kingston Kite Flyers. 

Please join us in a fly for Robyn wherever you may be.

Robyn , may you now rest easy.

3F4C29D3-A6AF-4A55-BCF5-38D2CD06BD75.thumb.jpeg.5d9cfdcabd0510dba3592706dabac559.jpeg

Photo courtesy - Sandy Grove Facebook Page

Some awesome shots there mate.:ok:

Back home, settled back in and missing Bull's coffee already. :cray:

It was fantastic to catch up with close friends once again and a shame others couldn't make it.

Had a brilliant trip home experiencing nature at its best with heavy fog out of Ceduna at daybreak all the way to Yalata then 46 degrees as the day warmed up further into WA.

Booked into the Park at Kingston again for next year and cant wait for it to roll round.

Did an oil change and filters on the Patrol, vacuumed through the old girl and she's several kilograms lighter now. (Yes Bull I got rid of "The mobile sand dune" in Meningie at the car wash while Anne grabbed lunch at the bakery. )

Good trip and covered some ground.

IMG_1007.thumb.JPG.bb1517873fcff9325ccde9c72efcd825.JPG

Good to know you left the sandhill behind Chook, and I’m sure your mileage was better after that?.  We’ve been home a few days then hooked van back on and are in Mt Barker SA for the weekend and caught up with the grandkids including our new granddaughter (Poppy) who was born a few weeks ago 7 weeks prem. Great few hours for Jen and I to nurse her as she’s not much bigger than a bag of coffee beans. There all healthy and gave us lots of hugs and kisses. Great to be a grandparent and your time will come soon enough Chook and Anne. Glad you’re home safe. ?

CFDD42B3-55AE-4023-B10D-ABF4CBB0F0BF.jpeg

9 hours ago, igeighty said:

after much procrastination, here is Lionel's view of Kingston. enjoy. (I uploaded a 4k file and all I see is 360 ?) not sure what the go is there. 

Hi @igeighty, Im viewing in 1080 (or so the video says)

You've done an excellent job on the editing of this (well worth the time you took over it too) Well Done.

To everyone else, enjoy!