Sand in Your Undies at Kingston SE 2019

Mez

KINGSTON S.E 2019

Its that time again everyone, to start planning the main event of the Extreme Kites Group.

(Correct me if I'm wrong @.Joel as the earliest thread I can see dates 2003) 

For the last 15 years, kiters have got together for the meet of the year and the best way to start the year with a catch up in Kingston S.E in South Australia. Kiters come from all corners of the country from Experience, WA to Canberra, ACT to buggy the long stretch of beach from The Blackford Drain up to the Granites, or if the weather is perfect, a ride out on the Lake Nadzab aka The Clay Pan.

Members usually stay at the Kingston Foreshore Caravan Park for the duration of their trip, a fully equipment park with unpowered/powered sites, basic/delux cabins and decent bathroom and kitchen facilities and on Australia Day, put on a fantastic Ariel kite display for the general public. This is a non-organised event, it just happens as a way to celebrate a great meet up.

This year, myself and @igeighty, along with @roblukin are planning on a slightly longer trip over. Arriving onsite on Saturday 5th January 2019 and heading back home on Sunday 27th January 2019. (Of cause we don't expect everyone to stay for 3 weeks, but its general idea of the dates) We have already made our site bookings and are now on the exciting countdown until we can head over.

So if each year you've ummed and arrred about heading over, do it and you'll find that you'll return again and again each year as we have.

Looking forwards to seeing you all!

Mez :557ff7a6222c9_Blokart4:

Yes we have paid a deposit before we left this year, from the 12th to the 27th Jan for unit #6 once more.

We will once again head East in early January and explore about, dropping into Kingston for a fortnight on our way back home.

Look forward to catching up with the gang and hope to meet new kiters.

"Sandy Grove" is also a huge draw card too.:drinks:

We'll be there :good:  Haven't decided which house or where yet, we'll work that out later.  
Perhaps @nigel will get there again this year?

13 hours ago, Mez said:

(Correct me if I'm wrong @.Joel as the earliest thread I can see dates 2003) 

If they went before that, it was pre-xk existence.... @Mick14 may know when the very first trip was.

4 hours ago, Chook said:

"Sandy Grove" is also a huge draw card too.:drinks:

Yes, this year I took a few bottles of their amazing Olive Oil with us ;) 

sandy-grove-oil.JPG

Muntrie Cheesecake comes in a close second :P 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

17 hours ago, Tiger37 said:

Sorry to hear about the van Rob. Hope it is repairable and that you are ok. 

I'm fine, I didn't have an accident.  I cracked my chassis. I've got another van but my problem is getting hand controls fitted in time for the meet. I'm still hoping to get there but not holding my breath..

22 hours ago, roblukin said:

I'm fine, I didn't have an accident.  I cracked my chassis. I've got another van but my problem is getting hand controls fitted in time for the meet. I'm still hoping to get there but not holding my breath..

Cracked the chassis rob, or it rusted through? :D 

On 1/4/2019 at 9:14 AM, BobM said:

With all the hot weather of late, is there an update on the condition of the dry lake?

Messaged @bull31 the other day to wish him and Jenny a Happy New Year. He hadn't been through since November, however will be heading over there soon so will keep us updated.

Hi guys

As Mez said we haven’t been to Kingston for a few months to keep everyone updated on the state of the clay pan. Unlike the rest of Australia this area and about 120kms east has had an above average wet winter but having said that I went for a drive up long beach and it’s the smoothest and cleanest the beach has ever been and a visit out to the clay pan showed water on the eastern half so may be a chance to buggy along the highway side which is not what I expected as our last visit early November the water was almost over the causeway.  Should be a great get together and so looking forward to it. Jen still home working at Viterra grain receivals and hopefully I’m here for a while although that can change.  Hope to see you all soon.  Drive safe.    Bull 

16 hours ago, Chook said:

Just starting to get gear organized and Anne and I will kick off from here very early Thursday 10th for Ceduna.

So that's just over 1500kms that day and we will then just follow our nose arriving in Kingston on the 12th.

Catch you there guys.

Drive safe Chook and Anne and we’ll see you sometime around 17th/18th/19th 

Sounds promising @bull31 Looking forwards to seeing both you and Jen too! 

Got into Kingston just on lunch time today.

Checked out the beach at the Granites and its in perfect nick with no seaweed. Absolutely first class surface.

The claypan is just a tad sticky on my boots leaving full boot prints, so will just need a few more days like today. (Its blowing 40 bastards from the south at the moment) Had to look hard and there were just a couple of  tiny puddles over towards the shearing shed end of the causeway on the western side. Otherwise its in brilliant nick.  

Weather temp is much nicer now in Kingston with a top temp in the next week of only 27 degrees. ( than the 46.4 degrees at Lockiel north of Adelaide on our way in).

Unit 5 at the park is the temporary Chook-house. (Near front fence)

Catch you guys shortly

34 minutes ago, Chook said:

Checked out the beach at the Granites and its in perfect nick with no seaweed. Absolutely first class surface.

The claypan is just a tad sticky on my boots leaving full boot prints, so will just need a few more days like today. (Its blowing 40 bastards from the south at the moment) Had to look hard and there were just a couple of  tiny puddles over towards the shearing shed end of the causeway on the western side. Otherwise its in brilliant nick.  

Weather temp is much nicer now in Kingston with a top temp in the next week of only 27 degrees. ( than the 46.4 degrees at Lockiel north of Adelaide on our way in).

Unit 5 at the park is the temporary Chook-house. (Near front fence)

Catch you guys shortly

Nice to hear you’re both now settling in - been on a few missions today in preparation. See you later in the week.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:21 PM, Chook said:

8< ------ <8

Good to hear you arrived safely.

I am curious about the bike path between Kingston and Pinks Beach - when I was there last time (2 years now) there was a section of the path that had washed out due to a storm.  Has the path been repaired? or is there still a diversion onto the roadway for a couple of hundred meters.

See you in Yeppoon in April

Bob