Foil boarding with a wing

SoutherlyBuster

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah maybe. From memory when I tried Kitewings out, you could use a windsurf style main loop, but they were still hard on the arms and I think thats why they never really gained much traction in the market. Way more cumbersome than either a kite or a windsurf sail, without any advantages.

12 hours ago, Kamikuza said:

The issue is you need a lot of wind, even to skate on concrete. You could kitesurfing easily by that point.

The advantage is you can use a kitewing in carparks where a power kite with lines wouldn't work because lamp posts or whatnot.

I tried the Kitewing and gave up on it because of the effort/load on arms, the bulk of the thing it really was very cumbersome to manoeuvre, and to me it has zero advantages over a kite on really short lines. We could get better performance from a kite flown off its bridles or very short lines (50-100cm). Narrow carparks and bikepaths were doable with a kite no worries.

Homemade NASA parafoil - sound interesting.  Can you post or pm me pics?  Tried to build a few myself. 

On 4/20/2018 at 5:25 PM, SoutherlyBuster said:

Figure the commercially available wings have a harness system. Reminds me of launching and flying my home made 9m^2 NASA parafoil without a harness, lasted for 10 minutes.

22 hours ago, Kamikuza said:

I didn't notice that, but I primarily used it on hard-pack dirt or concrete. Cumbersome? Nah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjNRjgH5fn8

But yeah, kites would be more productive no doubt.

Yeah but I am a shortarse! I also mean it was just a lot more work and effort than a kite on really short lines and I really disliked that it blocked my view of anything approaching from downwind, and perhaps thats just my kite addiction/background? 

You obviously got into them looks like you purchased your own?

Yeah, still got it too. Dunno about "got into it" but pottered around with them for a couple of years, with the skates mostly. That was fun.

I can imagine being short would suck, you'd have to lean the 'wing more I guess -- and the tips got scuffed on mine too.

Lots of places here aren't big enough for kites or have banned kites...and are behind stop banks so they're gusty as. Easy to just let go of the rear hand on the 'wing and the power is gone, no mess no muss.

Unlike at 3:25 :D