Greenland Snowkite Crossing

"3 men, 9 kites and 330 kg food and equipment…that was needed for a 27 day crossing over the Greenland ice cap: powered by only wind. Adventurers Eric Leegwater (NL), Bjorn Wils (DK) and Carl Alvey (NO) used snowkites to cover a 2620 km distance in complete absence of any civilization. An absolute absurd trip"

greenland_snowkite_crossing.jpg

New video and news covering the Greenland Snowkite Crossing.

Blog: http://www.peterlynn.com/crossing-greenland-with-snowkites-south-to-north/ 

• .Joel featured this topic

Does anybody remember the Greenland crossing, several years ago. 3 guys on skis, with Quadrifoil kites. All rather primitive, but made for a fascinating tv doco. 

This new effort looks so professional, by comparison.

Michael

found the story...... http://www.ericphilips.com/polar-explorer

Edited by mik333
Found the link
  • 1 month later...

I once bought an 8.5m Blade II from a woman who used it to cross the Greenland ice sheet. It seems to be a regular thing now.

Of course, this is how Indians came to be in North America. They crossed the Bering Strait during the last ice age using home made buggies on skis which they called sleds. The women were responsible for weaving the Ripstop and Dyneema line sets. True story. 

• .Joel unfeatured this topic
  • 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By lynchy1600949571
      I have a few smaller kites and needed something for light wind situations. The Twister was an ex-demo model obtained from extremekites.co.uk and arrived in peach condition two days after ordering.
      The build quality seems every bit as good as a Flexifoil. If I have to point out a downside, it would be that the handles are not as well padded as they could be.
      The first time out was in a 6mph offshore easterly and I had the kite laid out and ready to fly within a few minutes of choosing my spot on the beach. A sharp tug on the handles and it rose smoothly to the zenith where it waited for my next command, which was a series of passes left and right to test the tension of the brake lines, which were just right. There were no sudden jerks or luffs with this wing, just a steady, relentless pull which makes your arms feel like lead after 20 minutes of flying. To give my arms a rest, I fly for a few minutes at the lower edges of the window, where there is no lift and only a slight amount of traction. A major plus point I found with this canopy is that it won't overfly any part of the window, it glides to the edge and then settles in its its optimum position. Using the steering lines only, the Twister has the turning circle of Noah's Ark, but throw in some suitable brake line inputs and it really starts to move. Landings are not a problem, take it towards the window's lower edge and apply brakes, no dramas.
      In the buggy the Twister is a little slow, but hey - it's not a race kite! It is however a great kite to learn to buggy with. Its predictability and forgiving nature allowed me to practice turns, tacking and stopping with a big smile on my face. I found its upwind capability amazing for such a low aspect ratio foil.
      For recreation, the Twister is happy at wind speeds from 5 to 15 mph. I have found that 10 mph is best for scudding and jumping. I've been 2 or 3 meters off the deck with this mofo, and no hospital trips - yet. Scudding with the Twister is absolute bliss, using a constant figure-of-eight pattern, it's easy to scud 10 meters or more without stopping. The stability at the lower edges of the window is unbelievable and with thoughtful use of the brake lines, the Twister will sit motionless with one wing tip on the ground, most impressive.
      To conclude, the Twister is a good all-rounder for the intermediate kiter. It is stable and non-aggressive. Push it too far however, and you can expect to eat dirt!
    • By loza
      I was given the pepper as a birthday present. It is the first power kite i have owned or flown. The flying part of this review relates to the maiden flight and first impressions.

It came in the much maligned ripstop stuff sack.
      Pros: Easy to pack/unpack, keeps size of kit to a minimum, keeps costs low, easy to pocket when empty, looks cheap (maybe less attractive to theives because it looks like a sleeping bag)
      Cons: Not particually protective, no additional storage, looks cheap.

The Kite: Nice purple and blue colours on this one, chikara, single stitching, velcro loop for bridle. Made a good first impression straight out of the bag, althought it should be noted i have nothing to compare it to.

Lines/handles: Colour coded power and break lines. I was surprised how thin the lines were, but they have proved themselves. The lines were of slightly uneven length, but there are clear instructions for making them equal on a slip of paper included with the manual. Why these werent included on a page in the instruction booklet is unclear, an afterthought perhaps?

Instructions: Good, all the information required to get flying is in there. Although when setting up the info from the 'how to' section of the site was equally helpfull.
      Also a sticker yet to be applied so i cant comment on adhesion.

No kite killers or stake included, but i suppose that keeps costs lower.

Flying: Attaching lines and handle done easily, time to fly. Pulled the power lines, kite inflated, went up to the zennith, text book launch!. I was relieved it all worked as it should.
      The pull from the 2.5 took me by surprise! I had watched videos on youtube of people getting pulled around by 2.5m kites but somehow the power was unnexpected.
      The wind (according to BBC Weather website) was 12mph. Down on the beach at Minnis Bay it felt like a steady but gentle breeze. I admit i was not brave enough to chuck the kite through the power zone as i felt it would just drag me off down the beach.
      The kite turned well and i felt i had control, it didnt do anything crazy or unnexpected, but was still an exiting and awesome flying experience.
      One hour later....
      I landed with the brakes, but not wanting to get my new toy too wet first time out, i landed it on the only dry bit of sand which happened to be directly down wind! But this worked ok, it just twisted once or twice before touching down.

To conclude: I am very happy with the kite and cant wait to go out again. I can say i am honestly surprised at the pull of the 2.5m pepper. For an absolute beginner it seems more than powerfull enough, i cant wait to get more flying time under my belt so i can find out what it can really do.
    • By Bombardier_45
      Got into kites last December and started off with a Peter Lynn Pepper 4.5 at Christmas, 'Wildcard' kept on at me to get a samurai but I'm a student and how am I suppose to find the money for one of them?
      Being my first kite I was looking for something that would pull me about considerably but not over power me I did the research found some nice kit and my budget said NO! So I had to find a cheaper way into the sport. So here goes...

The Pepper as much as I love it comes in a rather poor quality 'bag' I use the term loosely because it is literally a pocket of rip-stop and a draw string, nothing a trip to the local sports shop cant replace. I found the foil its self to be excellently sewn and aesthetically pleasing, the only downside is that the design is one sided so your more showing it off to others than to yourself the bridle is well balanced and power delivery is dissipated evenly down the lines. The lines are pre stretched and treated (powers in grey brakes in red), when a beginner is looking for a new kite, treated lines can be over looked but they are worth their weight in gold to prevent knots in your lines. Handles are satisfactory, they are not the best and by all means not the worst they have adequate cushioning for sudden pulls and prolonged gusts alike. You get a little manual and a Peter Lynn sticker as is kiting tradition.

The Pepper's flying characteristics are typical of a deep bodied kite e.g. sami2 etc... As it has a lovely smooth delivery of power that kind of warns you to lean back before the full force hits you, this makes it in my opinion a fantastic beginners kite, the Pepper is not rigid in the air like many, and this is not a bad thing, it means by applying the breaks you can still turn the foil in strong wind easily to avoid others, the bridle design prevents 'stepping' and so increases comparative corner speed when attempting a jump or when working the kite for the boards.
      Practical uses, this size pepper is in the middle (4.5) it has good horizontal pull, which will leave scudder smiling. I have had it on grass fields and beaches and performs lovely for both, I have seen it boarded with on the beach pretty well, and in little wind. I have had it racing along on the grass at Stopsley, you need to work it fairly hard though. Jumps are possible in moderate wind and get larger obviously the more wind there is, if you experienced id say you would want a 5.5 or 6.5. If your new have a good think what you want a kite for and choose the size accordingly, mine was intended as a stunt/scud crossover as iv flown a few deltas in the past but the pepper has had the versatility to it that has kept it my favourite kite to date

Conclusion:
      The Pepper 4.5 is a cheap and cheerful power kite; It ticks all the boxes for a newbie and can satisfy intermediates alike.
      Costs £140-£160 new hardly worth worrying about...
      It drags me (108kg) around with ease.
      Build quality is excellent I have crashed mine lots of times and it still has not damaged it in any way
      Choosing the correct size for you will give great scope for a range of activities. If the wind disappears flick it on its side for a swift re-inflating spurt of speed.
      Going to keep this little gem in my collection and maybe get a 6.5 for lighter wind if I can afford it
      By : Bombardier_45