New kite for KLB - should I go single skin?

SeriousB

Hi,

i am new to the forum, apologies if the questions is a bit dumb...

I am 85kg with gear, flying inland (old airfield, hard surface, but grassy) in usually gusty, shifty winds (gust factor ~20-25%, but can be 50% or higher also). Preferred to go landboarding, but later might opt for a buggy also…  Looking for a new kite (at least for me) with good gust handling for wind range 3-5kn up to 25-30kn. Options I have in mind:

1. Flysurfer Peak in 6m or 9m size (new or 2nd hand)

2. Gin Shaman (2nd hand)

3. HQ Empulse 10m (2nd hand)

4. Ozone Explore V2 8m (2nd hand, like new)

5. Born kite LongStar 3 in 5.5m or 8.5m size (new)

6. Born kite RaceStar+ in 5.5m size (new)

7. PL Phantom II 15m (2nd hand)

Due to gusty winds, the Phantom would be a good choice – I’ve read reviews about how well the Phantom/ARC can handle gusts, but I also know that it flies better above 10kn (not really a low wind kite). Can it be used in lower winds (4-7kn) with longer lines (30-40m)?

Some comments on different forums also mentioned, that the newer single skin kites can provide similar gust handling as old ARCs, but with much less fuss about preparation. --> SS seems quite a good option.

Born kites – I am a bit thinking if I could get on with a 1 kite quiver with a 5.5 RS+ given the wide wind range (4-26kn showed on manufacturer webpage). Is it possible to cruise on landboard with a 5m RS+ in 4-10 kn of wind if you work the kite a bit / or with using longer lines? Or better opting for a 2 kite quiver? What is the useful range of LS and RS+ kites with landboard?

Is it possible to jump with a SS kite if you loop it?

Any suggestions / comments welcome!

Have a nice ride!

No dumb questions here! 😂 We all have the idea of a 1 kite quiver... get that out of your head right now. (I thought the same thing when I first started and got the same advice :D ) There is no kite that will handle 3-30kn. Since you're on landboard on grass, you have more rolling resistance, so your low end, even with a big kite will probably be in the 8 knot range, a bit less if you're experienced and have some nice steady wind. The low kite ranges for the SS kites (Born, Peak etc) 4knts is just when the kite will stay in the air, you will get no power to move that low. It's really handy on water to keep the kite in the air when the wind dies so you can hopefully wait for the next puff to get back to shore. Arcs are terrible low wind kites, but great for gusts. You need wind at ground level to fill them (or a leaf blower or fan). Light wind flying takes a lot of technique, get used to medium wind flying (10-20 knots) while you learn so you don't get frustrated.

If you're just starting out (sounds like you are), don't go for the high aspect kites like the RaceStar (or FS Sonics etc...). They are harder to manage, and not good in gusty wind.

My 12m Phantom tops out at about 25 knots landboard on the beach, but that's way at the top end. It's most comfortable around 12-20. I would think the 15m would be somewhere around the same. If you go that route, make sure you have a bar that's wide enough and has decent throw. It's a tough call, but for single surface at your weight it would be a toss up between 6m and 8m I think for around the same wind range (12-20). As you get better you can push the limits more. As a beginner, don't go out in 30 knot gusty wind. Wind gets exponentially stronger, so there's a huge difference between 10-20 and 20-30. Oh, and definitely invest in helmet and pads. And at the beginning, keep your kite somewhat high. Horizontal pull yanks you off your board (until you get used to leaning back). 

Lots of really good land boarders here, hopefully they'll chip in, but that's my 2¢.

Do you have anyone there that can help you out and show you the ropes?

Welcome to Extreme Kites @SeriousB !

Some great info above from @jeffnyc . It would be great to understand what experience you already have in terms of which kites you have flown etc. We don't wanna throw you in the deep end too early, as there maybe an interim kite we could recommend to get you rolling while you learn the ins and outs of getting momentum on the board while learning the wind and how to fly in tandem with that.

Thanks for the replies!

I am not a full beginner, but still have a lot to learn. Have already experience with an Ozone Flow 4m kite on handles, however don't really like the on/off power of the fixed bridle kite when the winds are getting higher or the gust factor is 50% or more. Also have tried couple of times a 9m foil kite from a friend - it was nice, but only started going ~13-15kn of wind and it was a bit frightening when at the same time the gusts were around 23-25kn.

At the moment I would opt for a beginner/novice kite that would handle well in the 8-20kn range. I assume a 12-14m kite should be the size?

Awesome! I think go for something like a second hand Ozone Access. Very forgiving kite and a great intro into learning depower - they can be had for quite cheap on the second hand market. If you were to be able to put your hands on an Access, I wouldn't hesitate to say a 12-14 would work for you, however for other more agressive kites - you would still potentially get a fright when the gusts come up. Of course, this is only at this stage of your development - as you progress, you will learn how to manage gusts with bigger more aggressive kites no problems. And you will want to get further into that territory when you start jumping etc. Let us know what options come up and we can chime in further.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By IanD
      Test Report on the Peter Lynn UNIQ QUAD Single-skin power kite, 4.5m2 version on 2 handles/quad lines
      Just for something different, I tried a single-skin kite, this one an offering from the Peter Lynn stable.

Photos courtesy of Peter Lynn Kitesports (On account of I was too lazy to photograph my own-same size, same colour)
      TEST LOCATION & CONDITIONS
      Inland NSW, on a large, open sports complex Temp 27ºC Wind E to NE, 1 to 12kts, mostly around 5-6 kts. Static flying only. No buggy or board
      COMPARISON KITES
      HQ Toxic 5m2
      Zebra Z1 3.5M2
      The kite is promoted by P/L as being compact, lightweight, relatively cheap, stable, easy to fly, crash-damage resistant, very manoeuvrable and very powerful for its size.  It also comes in a 2-line version or a 3-line on a bar

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
      The kite bag is VERY small, particularly for a 4.5m2. (It looks like something you’d use to take a bottle of champagne to a party)
      Everything necessary to rig and fly is supplied and packed into the well-made main bag;
      The kite itself Quad 18m x 200/100kg Dyneema pre-stretched, colour-coded lines and padded handles A soft drawstring cloth bag for the lines and handles 2 x P/L Kite-Killers (nice bit of kit) A plastic P/L anchor stake in a well-made fabric sheath. (Sand use only. It’s next to useless trying to shove it into grass or dirt. The HQ version is much more versatile) (You’ll have fun trying to stuff everything back into this bag after flying, although the kite certainly does wrap up into a very small bundle.)
      All stitching and line attachments are of the usual very high P/L standard. The main (200kg) and brake (100kg) lines look very similar in size, but fortunately are colour-coded and labelled.

LEADING EDGE?
      As this is my first single-skin jobbie, I admit to having a few Senior’s moments trying to find the leading edge due to the absence of those lovely big holes that normally identify the LE.  The kite plan form is a low-aspect design, which keeps the span quite short for the area.

RIGGING
      This is quite conventional using the supplied line number matching and lark’s-head knots.

IN FLIGHT
      As expected, the kite fills easily and lifts almost instantly. Once line tension is steady, the leading edge shape becomes apparent and the kite flies normally.
      Some early observations are;
      The kite is not particularly fast, compared to most double-skinned foils It is quite agile, allowing for the lower speed The wind window is somewhat smaller/narrower than double-skinned foils The kite won’t overshoot and collapse at the zenith because it doesn’t really get that close to it. Approaching the edges of it’s own wind window, it just slows and either stops or drifts back until it’s back in a sweet spot. Quite neat!
      (Note: I refer to the zenith as a point directly overhead the flyer) This 4.5m2 pulls very hard in gusts (10-12kts) and is happier when it’s kept moving. Pull is at least equal to the HQ Toxic 5.0m2 Tight turns are best made with just a light touch on one brake. Main line pulls produce a much slower, wide and smooth turn Backing down to the ground is very easy and controlled using the brakes Reverse launching was easy I tested turbulence behaviour by standing in the lee of a large light tower just upwind of my flying position and this caused the occasional tip tuck which easily un-tucked itself with a tug on the lines Overall, it was not quite as stable as the delightfully mild-mannered Zebra Z1 3.5m2 Pumping the lines to keep it up in between soft gusts had markedly less effect than with a double-skin foil The kite showed little or no lift at the zenith, due mostly to the slightly narrower wind window  
      MEETING PL’s CLAIMS
      Now that I’ve flown the kite, I thought I might match up my experience with the claims P/L have made:
      Virtually indestructible
      Pretty much correct. You can dive it straight into the ground at any speed and it just crumples up briefly, then is ready for an easy reverse launch
        Incredible wind-range.
      Not sure about this claim. It seemed to behave much the same as any double-skin foil with regard to pull vs. wind speed variations
        Supremely easy to fly.
      Overstated a bit. It is easy to fly, but nothing to get too excited about
        Great performance, more pull per size than any comparable ram airfoil while needing much less wind.
      The kite did pull very hard in very light conditions, although truly objective testing would be needed to see if it really out-pulled an similar sized double-skinned device at the same wind speed
        A lift to drag ratio that is easily equivalent to modern foils, excellent handling and instant power.
      Yes. The kite certainly powered up very quickly in a gust
        No overflying, no collapsing or luffing, ever.
      Not quite, P/L. Any turbulence in very light conditions will induce mild tip folding, but it certainly didn’t want to overfly  
      FINAL OBSERVATIONS
      Is it suitable for a beginner?
      Certainly, although there are perhaps better beginner options like the Skydog Power-Foil, Zebra Z1, HQ Beemer, etc..
        Is it suitable as a static fun/workout kite?
      Absolutely! It does fly well, inland or coastal, where it’s lightness and the tiny Pack make it a must-carry anytime. Not too good for jumping
        Is it useful as a buggy engine?
      Yes. So long as you can live with losing some wind window width. It certainly pulls hard at lower angles and has very low lift at the zenith, which is safe. On a buggy trip, it’d be very easy to carry one as a compact, spare larger kite in case the wind drops  
    • By RaceKites
      After a bunch of research (including reading all the reviews on RaceKites.com) I finally selected a Mountain Board to kite with. I purchased the MBS Comp 16 from an online retailer in the US.

It was delivered today.

My first impression is one of quality, detail in constructions, and that this board is substantial. I had never had the opportunity to actually see a board in person. They are large and pretty heavy! Although the board itself is smaller than a snowboard, the total package with trucks and wheels very closely resembles a snowboard. It feels like one, too. On first blush, it has the same ride and manners as my favorite snowboards. The Comp 16 is springy, yet very solid. The bindings are well designed and very comfortable. The deck is thicker than I expected, but feels lively and has plenty of "feel" to it. More in my detailed review...

Since the UPS man delivered it just today (a day early none the less), I obviously need to spend some "quality" time with it, but I already think I am falling in love!

Details:

Board
      The board is a wood core board with composite cap much like a snowboard, but upside down. I can say this not because I have read any marketing info on the board (which I have), but because I can actually see through the board in some of the holes drilled to adjust the bindings. I will get more into the bindings, next. The board has nice clean graphics involving a Raven (I love Ravens) and is blue. The construction looks to be top-shelf although if I lived in a ocean climate, I would probably spend a little time making sure all the holes for inserts and the binding are sealed. They are not currently.

I am excited to see how the board slides on rails and other "features". The cap on the bottom of the board has a glossy finish, but I wonder how hard it is and if it will be grabby. The top of the deck has two grip tape foot pads.

Trucks
      The bindings are metal and composite and have a very different design than my traditional skateboard trucks. They use dual coil springs with elastomer "egg" shocks inside the springs. I have the yellow egg shock. I guess the orange egg is stiffer. The tension in the spring adjustable via some bolts that protrude up through the deck. When you tighten them down, the bolt top moves down toward the surface of the deck. I have not adjusted the tension of the Matrix trucks and am waiting to get some time on the board before I do any adjustment or tweaking.

The axel of the Matrix trucks is a solid bar of metal that will allow for grinds. I am interested to see how the polymer base holds up. The range of motion of the trucks is less than on a traditional skateboard. I am interested to see how the board turns.

Bindings
      The bindings are a pretty simple affair, but seem to be well constructed. There are two (each) metal, L-shaped plates that serve as the attachment bases for the binding strap.The strap itself is comprised of plastic, rubber, and high density foam. There is a racheting mechanism that allows for pretty precise adjustment. I wonder how much I will adjust the bindings and whether the ease of adjustment will actually become a bother if I accidently change the setting after finding the perfect tension. The buckle itself seems to be better than my snowboard bindings. I am interested to see how it holds up.

Wheels
      The wheels and tires are polymer and rubber, respectively. I understand the tire has an inner tube. We will see how well they endure the goathead thorns that plague my bike tires. I better Slime the tires ASAP! The manual suggests a lower inflation pressure to keep speeds down. This concept seems less applicable to my intended use with a kite. The tread pattern is knobby with a center strip that is continuous. This makes the wheel suprisingly smooth and quiet on the hard surface of my garage floor.

Summary
      I am impressed with the Comp 16. Having only seen photos and video of the board, I don't have much to compare it to in the mountainboard marketplace, but based on my 20 year experience with snowboards and skateboards, it seems to be well built utilizing technology I am familiar and comfortable with. The trucks are of a modified design compared to what I am used to, but appear to be well built. I am excited about my new acquisition and look forward to hundreds of hours of fun, ahead!

I will post updates to this review after I have some time on the board.
      By : diablo943
    • By Mfwetu
      New single skin kite from Ozone for 2019 called the "Explore". It will be available in 4, 6, 9 & 12m and looks to be aimed as direct competition to the FS Peak.
      Manufacturer's blurb:
      "The new Explore by Ozone has something to offer for everyone. Consistent pull through the wind window, instant de-power, minimal upward lift, relatively slow flying speed, and damage-resistant single surface design make the Explore an amazing kite for entry level and intermediate riders. Advanced riders can push the boundaries - tight and dynamic or slow lazy loops can navigate difficult terrain while excellent drift allows riding down slopes without worring about the kite. For experts the lightweight design means it can fly in very light wind, allowing you to work the low end efficiently without having to worry about keeping the kite in the sky. The proven Re-Ride System means you can land the kite quickly and safely."
      I was thinking of getting the 12m Shaman 2 as a low wind engine but it looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit now.
      https://ozonekites.com/products/land-snow-kites/explore-v1/
      https://vimeo.com/293139314