Going to knock one of these up next maybe half size first. Full size uses about 35 mtrs of material. Ouch. If goes well will do the bigger one later. Kids love them but they tend to get a pounding. Maybe the bigger one should be in 1.5 ounce cloth. Wont be as colourful as this fella either. 2 or 3 colours work for me.

download (1).jpg

2 hours ago, Darren Tibbey said:

Not really sure, it wont be small there are 20 pieces of the section. This the plan for it. But im going to half it first up. If that works will go the larger size.

Spike_plans.gif

Original size would make it somewhere around 3m diameter ... I would estimate.

I think I would go full size too. ;)

8 minutes ago, Darren Tibbey said:

About 35 mtrs of material in that. Which equals over $500. Lot of money for a ball. Dont have the material for that size.?

Ah, ok. I (being the newbie here) didn´t take that into account of course. ;)

2 hours ago, Darren Tibbey said:

About 35 mtrs of material in that. Which equals over $500. Lot of money for a ball. Dont have the material for that size.?

We scaled ours UP.  Instead of the hexagons being 100 cm across, we took them to the full width of the 150 cm roll of fabric.  Around 60 metres of fabric if I recall correctly. Greater cost, but less waste.

Mind you, we made ours out of parka nylon, which we found at a reduced cost of about $5 per metre.  That brought the cost down significantly.

When you start adding up cost of the fabric and the line involved in making a large inflatable, the PL giants are great value :Thumbs-up-smaller:

13 hours ago, Darren Tibbey said:

In the last 6 months have bought more than enough stuff to try out at sandy point. Hope we see you down there? You will meet some great people always ready to help you out.

Darren.

I would love to meet up with you guys down there but I dont know if I will be able to make it. I dont have a car yet and the only camping equipment I own is a sleeping bag. :laugh2: There is still some time until then and I´m still trying to work out a way of making it.

Emailed Lyndell at Peter Lynn today. Received the samples. Material is soft like Kevin said but should be fine for making spike or inflatable stuff. Order placed should be in the mail on Monday. Works out to be about $7.50Aud plus post. So not real expensive. Purple and aqua ball with black spikes. Looking forward late nights sewing and so does my wife.?

On 30/07/2017 at 9:30 AM, KaoS said:

Nah! Go big, or go home ;-)

Made this one in 2000, still going strong!

spike2.jpg

Looking at yours @KaoS did you reinforced the opening?