Flysurfer Flydoor 6

Pari

Last season was one of the worst for years. I'd planned to get more practice in on the foil board but that didn't happen. I blame the wind condition of course 😉. Nah, just so frickin' hard and I didn't get enough time on flat water conditions.

Anyway I want an easier, more immediate solutions to get out in those really low wind days so I have a new Flydoor 6 on it's way.

Once I get a bit of time on it I'll report back, maybe a little review.

Has anyone had experience with the Flydoors? I'd be keen to hear what you think of them.

I picked up a flydoor 4 XL (170) at Easter and I have only tried it once.

The flydoor planes really easily, as expected from such a large board.

it also goes up wind really well.

I does however want to ride flat and grips with the fins rather then being able to dig the edge in. This is fine in light winds, but maybe not good if the wind suddenly picks up? 

For my weight the 170 is probably too big and a 155-160 would be a more suitable size.

On 5/24/2021 at 12:57 PM, andy666 said:

I picked up a flydoor 4 XL (170) at Easter and I have only tried it once.

The flydoor planes really easily, as expected from such a large board.

it also goes up wind really well.

I does however want to ride flat and grips with the fins rather then being able to dig the edge in. This is fine in light winds, but maybe not good if the wind suddenly picks up? 

For my weight the 170 is probably too big and a 155-160 would be a more suitable size.

Thanks for that info. Yeah, 170 is big. I might have seen the same board  for sale, there was a Flydoor 4 on seabreeze that I almost went for. but I didn't like the look of the big fin in the middle for shallow water.

My main concern is how it will perform in waves, I doubt I'll be doing much flat water riding- sometimes we get a bit of flat water in Kingy when the tide is out. How did you find it in waves?

I don’t ride waves, only a bit of choppy water when the wind picks up and I use my 138 board for that.

The centre fin is only 8cm. Because the board rides with the back foot pushing the board down more the the front, the centre fin is only as low as the back foot fin. (Maybe even less)

23 hours ago, andy666 said:

I don’t ride waves, only a bit of choppy water when the wind picks up and I use my 138 board for that.

The centre fin is only 8cm. Because the board rides with the back foot pushing the board down more the the front, the centre fin is only as low as the back foot fin. (Maybe even less)

Oh, I wasn’t asking so much about riding waves, I get it that it’s too flat a board for that. More just asking how do you find it in the chop and general swell. Are you still down Balina way? If so I’m guessing you have similar conditions to me- waves you have to get through. Just wondering what it’s like with a big, flat board in those situations.

I guess I’m going to find out soon enough. Mind you I’m not liking thought of going out in this cold!

The Flydoor arrived today. Had to have a try on it, but there was a little too much chop to get past and the front kept digging into the water, as I feared. It rides very flat and trying to pop the front over the waves proved to much. Mind the wind was really lite, maybe 9 knots.

I think I have a bit of learning to do with it. But I was surprised at how quick I shot off once I was up on the board, so I'm hopeful that it will find a place on those days when the water is flatter and the wind 10knots up.

It's a nice looking board, must say. Feels very big, especially next to my everyday twin tip.

I've got a 4 with the center fin. When the water is flat, ride the board flat and push against the fins and it rocks up with crazy. But you can't ride if flat and downwind, or even toe side, cos that center fin still wants to do its job and turns the board away from you the whole time.

Also got a v3 -- or maybe 2 -- that I though had broken but was still going strong years after I "replaced" it. It was actually pretty good in the waves, first "halfpipe" type experience I had was on that board. It was easier to edge and control it than the 4... in fact, I wore the fins down to an inch or so, riding into sand. Still worked fine.

To get it through chop, load up your back foot more. I found that moving the pads out to the widest setting really brought the board to life and made chop, jumps etc feel a lot less like you're riding a door at all...

Foil is easy to get to the point where it's a light wind solution -- plenty of help out here if you need to get specific about your problems :)

11 hours ago, Kevin Henry said:

I've got a 4 with the center fin. When the water is flat, ride the board flat and push against the fins and it rocks up with crazy. But you can't ride if flat and downwind, or even toe side, cos that center fin still wants to do its job and turns the board away from you the whole time.

Also got a v3 -- or maybe 2 -- that I though had broken but was still going strong years after I "replaced" it. It was actually pretty good in the waves, first "halfpipe" type experience I had was on that board. It was easier to edge and control it than the 4... in fact, I wore the fins down to an inch or so, riding into sand. Still worked fine.

To get it through chop, load up your back foot more. I found that moving the pads out to the widest setting really brought the board to life and made chop, jumps etc feel a lot less like you're riding a door at all...

Foil is easy to get to the point where it's a light wind solution -- plenty of help out here if you need to get specific about your problems :)

Hey Kevin, thanks, very helpful info. It makes sense what you said about moving the foot pads out. I matched the width with my 134cm twin tip but I could tell in the very short time I tried the board out that I just couldn’t get the front end up. Need much more pressure on that back foot, so I will definitely be moving those pads further out.

I’m still excited about getting some extra sessions in with this. 
But yes, getting good on the foil is my ultimate goal, I just need more trips to flat water spots where I can practice- hopefully this year now that travel in Australia is back on.

35 minutes ago, Pari said:

Hey Kevin, thanks, very helpful info. It makes sense what you said about moving the foot pads out. I matched the width with my 134cm twin tip but I could tell in the very short time I tried the board out that I just couldn’t get the front end up. Need much more pressure on that back foot, so I will definitely be moving those pads further out.

I’m still excited about getting some extra sessions in with this. 
But yes, getting good on the foil is my ultimate goal, I just need more trips to flat water spots where I can practice- hopefully this year now that travel in Australia is back on.

I was just trying to get the board feeling less bendy, with all that tail out behind my feet... Tried the same thing on my regular TT and hated it.

If I can do it, surely anyone can! All I do pretty much is foil, used to only ride TT on trips back home before the 'rona. My biggest board now is 120 and my biggest kite a 10m 😁