Ozone Hyperlink V1 2017

.Joel

Ozone have released a new kite that crosses over Open Cell and Closed Cell foils.

With an innovative valve design it can be ridden on the water, snow and land safely, as a Closed Cell or Open Cell kite.

https://ozonekites.com/products/water-kites/hyperlink-v1/

Hyperlink-change-mode-1a.jpg Hyperlink-change-mode-2.jpg Hyperlink-change-mode-3.jpg

The design brief was outrageous -

Not it wasn't.... but it's an interesting idea ;) 

I wonder if the ozone marketing team believe half the shit they dribble :rofl: 

truely innovative and the first kite to bridge the gap between foil and inflato? It a mid aspect closed cell foil! Ozone are not the first to do this (flysurfer psycho, hq neo...), but it seems all kitesurfers know about is high aspect race foils. Probably because that's all the big names have offered them so far :fool: 

I'm not sure why they needed to reinvent the wheel though, by having open and closed cell option? Yes an open cell foil will have more power then a similar size closed cell and inflate instantly at launch. But this has 7? open cells, which will do virtually nothing different to having the cells "closed"

but people will buy it because, lets face it, one of the best things ozone do is marketing :D 

Hmm ya but no but ... didn't see any thing they did with the kite that Zac and I are not already doing now with our FlySurfers. Was hoping for an explanation of the purpose of the open versus closed -- their design intent, hm well nothing but marketing hype. Maybe its the only way they can sell to the LEI die hards :popcorm1:.

I believe open cell is desirable for quick pack down when snow kiting. Kite to the top of the hill quick land and pack up snowboard down again. 

So they are appealing to the kitesurf/snow kite crew who want open cell in the snow and closed on the water. 

The rest is typical marketing drivel!

PS I don't see why an open cell would have more power. The only difference I see is fast launch land vs water relaunch. The closes cell will be better in gusts too as it wont get the wind punched out of it and it will hold its shape better. 

3 hours ago, plummet said:

I believe open cell is desirable for quick pack down when snow kiting. Kite to the top of the hill quick land and pack up snowboard down again. 

So they are appealing to the kitesurf/snow kite crew who want open cell in the snow and closed on the water. 

With only 7 open cells, you you acheive nearly the same quick pack down with a closed cell by simply flying it with the deflate valve open :D 

15 minutes ago, .Joel said:

Jeff possesses more kiting knowledge in a small piece of chewed-off finger nail than you could possibly achieve in your whole life.
Carry on...

Doesn't mean he can't be a massive pimp for Ozone. An outrageous pimp, even! I mean, do we really need a 7 minute video about a feature that nobody actually asked for?

2 hours ago, andy666 said:

And this years OZONE PIMP CHAMPION is.........

Beat out Steve by an outrageous whisker

As somebody who would actually buy this kite I think it's awesome...

i currently Have 7m FRENZY and all my larger sizes are closed cell so I can use on the water for foiling.

The 5th line and open cell of the frenzy combined with design/features of chrono's etc equals "Do it all".

Until now, unless you can afford to buy both open and closed cell kites you pretty much have to choose what model will work the best most of the time and make compromise for the other situation.

If I could open the cells of my ChronoV2 and add a 5th line for the snow I 100% would.

Good work Ozone!

If you have ever tried to pack down a large closed cell kite in the snow, usually on a sketchy/windy ridge top you would also appreciate the 5th line and open cells.

I LOVE the frenzy, but can't justify buying something I can't really use on the water in larger sizes.. 

Now with the hyperlink you get those features and can still use on the water for foiling.

The real question is, when can I demo one in Australia. (Please please please please).

Id like to compare the 12m to my 13m chronoV2UL  

IMG_4651.JPG

On 7/21/2017 at 4:39 PM, Kamikuza said:

Guess you don't stock Slingshot, hmm

Not sure what gave you that idea... have stocked Slingshot for a decade.

On 7/23/2017 at 0:28 PM, Kiwikarl said:

The real question is, when can I demo one in Australia. (Please please please please).

Id like to compare the 12m to my 13m chronoV2UL  

Where are you located? 

4 hours ago, Kitepower Australia said:

Where are you located? 

Melbourne,

Is it more like a Frenzy or a ChronoV2 ?

I'm assuming it's DNA is from somewhere in between,

for 9m size I'd use more on the snow/land, so a Frenzy/Summit style would be ideal.... 

But for 12m, I'd Prob want it to be more like ChronoV2 for hydrofoil.

Would it me possible to retrofit a ChronoV2 with zippers and 5th line?

Anyway, it would be great to try.

I currently ride:-

7m Frenzy

9m & 13m chronoV2UL   

On 26/07/2017 at 10:00 PM, Kiwikarl said:

Would it me possible to retrofit a ChronoV2 with zippers and 5th line?

Anyway, it would be great to try.  

Anything is possible.

actually, the zips and Velcro for the intakes would probably be easier then the 5th line. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Victorian Alps received 1m of snow last weekend, needless to say it's was epic conditions after the "Blizzard of Oz" finished. 

I planned to do an in-depth review of the 9m Hyperlink, comparing it to the 9m ChronoV2UL B2B. 

However the wind was light, after this photo I swapped up to riding 13m ChronoV2UL 

A review will still be coming, just need more wind, hopefully next session!

What I can say, was the Hyperlink was super easy to launch in light wind, it flew well at its low end ( around 10knots ) and packed down perfectly. 

IMG_4803.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Is this kite going to come in other sizes other than 9m?

On a side question about Open Cell vs Closed Cell: If the winds over land are considered gustier and less consistent than an open field, beach, snowfield, etc, then wouldn't CLOSED cell be the way to go, so that at least the kite keeps its flying shape as much as possible?

I've flown open-cell kites and the only one that held its shape consistently, allowing one to handle gusts more easily was the HQ Montana

Just had a ripper day snow kiting up Falls creek on the 9m Hyperlink. (I don't have the other sizes otherwise I would have flown 12m). 

Wind was a little light for me, but I really wanted to fly this DEMO once more before sending back.

Ive got a review to write up on it, and also try to answer questions.

Let me start by saying this kite is Super stable, it did not collapse or lose its shape and I could enjoy carving turns in fresh powder rather than worrying about kite.

I think the stability comes from the Lower aspect when compared to other Closed cell kites. (That's the quick easy answer).

Flying Closed cell kites in the mountains is fine when everything is perfect, and It's still better than inflatables.

But as you get more adventurous, you kind of appreciate the OPEN cell advantages more..

The major benefit being safety, in that you can pack up the kite much easier, quicker and smaller and in more wind..

You can land the kite using safety or stall handle and then start wrapping the lines up without even securing the kite, it will just pull towards you.

Not as easy on a CLOSED cell kite.

ive had a few sessions on Closed cell kites where the only way to land is to flag out the kite onto safety line and watch it turn into a tangled mess. (Usually because the wind has picked up).

And it's usually takes a while to untangle out of the wind, with a beer in hand.

OPEN CELL = LESS TANGLED MESSES.

IMG_5063.JPG

I can relate to tanlges after pulling the safety, still have some in the bag that need to be tidied up from last weekend. The moutain weather can be rather fickle. Wonder how the single skins would perform when flagged out in gusty big winds considering they have even more bridles.