Born-Kite StreetStar

windstruck

no   but it didnt work with streetstar on 10 meter lines      no way to steer

i hav used the ergo bar with genesis 8m    it works too but i had low wind , hav to try again   

the problem with close cell kites on land is that  you hav to pack when you cant sail further   a single skin kite is beter for that     today was more paddling than kiting , btw i do both together in low winds

Fat kite on land is mext next aim       it would extend the range of my sessions    i could sail 20 KM downwind then pedal back

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2018 at 7:30 PM, Freda Latou said:

Glad you enjoy ergo bar to.  Can you show à pic off thé bar ?

With 3 beaufort i could steer thé street star with 7 m lines   no   ergo bar  but  boat hook as bar.   So ergo could work with lines if wind is strong enough 

@Freda Latou  It is just a PVC pipe about 60cm long, bent with a heat gun, a few holes drilled and notches in the ends to wrap line around.  I put a line in the middle for harness hook or maybe depower if I can figure that out.

photo(52).JPG

nice work    now that  i hav put snap links between bridles and bar  i need less a second hand made ergo bar for my nasawing and pansh 

my tries at steering ergo bar with 7 m lines hav failed       i hav to try again , fail may  be due to wrong lines settings

ergo  or depower bar plus your G 13 would be nice 

Those kind of monoskins depower very well even with no pulleys, no comparaison with nasawings

10 hours ago, Freda Latou said:

it s a bit like holding a windsurf sail with one hand at the front of the wishbone for depowering 

i would be interssted in making a big  size G 13      you use tarp ?

I am building a 4.2 M version now.  Not sure if I will build it for buggy (full ribs) or street (nose ribs only).  The material is actually light polyester - just looks like tarp.  My first version was tarp but didn't use the full wrap around LE.  This is the 4th iteration.  Plans are online.  I doubt it would be as good as your 4.0 StreetStar though.

http://www.laboratoridenvol.com/projects/gkite/gkite.en.html

http://www.laboratoridenvol.com/projects/jouetbhl/jouet.en.html

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but I'd be interested if anyone had concluded on a preference for either the StreetStar or the Nasa Star on short lines/bridles? I am looking for a landboard solution with short or no lines to use on the beach or beach-side walkway; winds can be a bit gusty or with lulls. I have read everything I can find here and on powerkite but it's mostly early impressions rather than longer term testing. @ssayre, any thoughts on this as I see you were using a short-line Nasa Star set-up quite regularly - were you tempted to switch to the StreetStar? One attraction of the Nasa Star set-up is its versatility for use with buggy as well...

On 7/15/2019 at 6:28 AM, Tedgar said:

I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but I'd be interested if anyone had concluded on a preference for either the StreetStar or the Nasa Star on short lines/bridles? I am looking for a landboard solution with short or no lines to use on the beach or beach-side walkway; winds can be a bit gusty or with lulls. I have read everything I can find here and on powerkite but it's mostly early impressions rather than longer term testing. @ssayre, any thoughts on this as I see you were using a short-line Nasa Star set-up quite regularly - were you tempted to switch to the StreetStar? One attraction of the Nasa Star set-up is its versatility for use with buggy as well...

I had a first gen 4.0m StreetStar a couple of years ago.  I didn't find that it provided very much actual traction, and far less than a comparable 4.0m NasaStar of any generation.  From what I am able to gather from watching StreetStar videos is that it may be well suited for low friction riding such as pavement.  I've yet to see a video of it pulling a person through thick grass for example on a landboard or some sort of skates.  The videos I've watched (mostly of Steffen Born himself) has it appear that these are low traction kites since his landboard speed seems very slow to me based on my impression of wind speed from surrounding bushes, trees, etc.  This is not a rub on the StreetStar, just an observation.  I have personally had mixed success using NasaStars on very short or no lines, but that could just be me.  The thing is, the pull per square meter just seems to be much higher with the NasaStars compared to the StreetStars.

Steffen has come out with a second gen StreetStar:  http://www.born-kite.de/?cat=c22_Street-Star2-Streetkites.html

This second gen kite has a deeper nose profile and much superior BODAPAR lines in the bridling.  If you go this direction I'd pull the trigger on the second gen.  All but one of my Born-Kites are now sufficiently new that they have the BODAPAR lines and I really like them better than the older models with whatever bridle line material he used to use.  IMHO, the bridling was the weak link of the pre-BODAPAR Born-Kites.

I don't do this sort of riding, but if I did I'd be looking at NS4s on short lines with z-bridles to work from handles.  That has become my personal preferred way to fly NasaStars.  So much more control than bar flying, which even with three lines, essentially fly like two-liners with a safety line that is rarely, if ever, used.  You mentioned wanting versatility into the buggy, so I think you have your answer...

Good luck!

street star is a  time saver 

pack out and go        i hav used it on grass with fatbike and mountainboard from 2 beaufort

having short bridles you can sail in paths with trees where a peak 3 no lines can t , being twice longer ?

i switch to 4  25m lines depower bar when i need more power 

i hav used nasawing and npw9 , but prefer the street star 

Thanks for the replies @windstruck & @Freda Latou, that's helpful. I had a brief email exchange with Steffen today and his take was:

The NasaStar4 / 4.0m in size has much less traction (without lines) than the StreetStar2. The traction of NS4 increases with long lines.

The StreetStar2 has a ERGO bar, so you can actively work against Backstall, since the angle of attack can be changed with one hand.

For streetkiting on tight spaces, the SS2 is the better choice. If you want a flexibly deployable kite (long and short lines), the NS4 is right.

That seems to confirm what you said about the SS2 having a different profile to the SS1 @windstruck which equates to better traction. Pros both ways so I'm still in a bit of a quandry but there's something about the simplicity of the SS2 that appeals...

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Freda Latou said:

Thé NASAs hold better shape than thé rédux.  Ss kites are light!!

Yes.  I think the Redux kite has a bigger wind window, but it doesn't pull as hard, and is less stable so it is less effective.  I think it is better than NPW on a 3 line bar with longer lines though.  

On 7/15/2019 at 10:28 PM, Tedgar said:

I've used the NS4 on shortlines, with landboard, inland lakeside gusty winds. My take on it was it's something you do for novelty factor, or just because you can. It's very quick to grab and go, works fine, but if you've got the time then a more typical kite surf/buggy/landboard session will be more satisfying.

• 2 weeks later...