Vaporised @ Labour Day 2017

.Joel

Thursday will be the day we know for sure what the wind will be up to - there is a very slow, low pressure trough coming through from the South West which will hopefully swing it round to some South Westerlies by Sunday/Monday. 

IDE00135.201703061830.jpg

18 hours ago, Darren Tibbey said:

Got new toys to try need it to be purfect. Sort that out for me .Joel?

The wind gods now know you have new kites, so they will not give you the conditions you need.

It happens to all kiters when ever we get a new kite, the wind never cooperates.

And I am sure @.Joel will tell you very politly where to go. Some thing like this suspect. :butt-dance:

You blokes are a special kind of lateral thinkers.

whilst you where playing gyro gear loose, John Darren and I actually HAD some wind at the surf club. :) ( what you guys did with the rotor was very cool though)

waratah bay fooled us yesterday when we looked at main beach and it was blowing from the south east so we headed to Waratah bay end and it did a 180 :)

Today when we got to main beach, the wind again from the south east. Blowing up the beach toward Waratah. We were not going to get fooled again so we waited it out. The wind picked up a bit and squared into the beach.

it was about 6 knots. John flew his cheeseburger. Darren flew his bora and NASA . And @Chook, the 9.4 vapor was a absolute pleasure. With upwind turns I could point about 70 degrees upwind, with about 100m of hard sand, it is amazing upwind kite, and generates a lot of pull when it gets going.

the wind squared onshore and I got down to the point and back, the the wind dropped, but we got 5 hours of sweet buggy.

11 pm now and camped at the shallow inlet at @bakersdozen's secret camping spot ready for another run tomorrow.

no pictures, having too much fun

Good to meet you darren and crew.

The beach was magnificent in its lack of lumps and bumps. Only at the very end at the point did i find the stingray holes/

i hope i didn't impact too much on the blue soldier crab population, skinny tyres seem to save a lot :)

Friday good little run at Waratah bay. That beach is ultra wide. so you still get a run in a cross beach wind.

I had a really nice, no wind fly on friday night with the MEFM i recently bought. I had it setup for light winds with large spreader in the nose, and lower speeders extended by an inch, and it needed but a puff... it was a good sunset over the western side of the inlet, with a ton of seabirds and fishes leaping. probably one of my best kite fly's ever.

Saturday on main beach was a ripper once it swung around south. it was only a light breeze, but enough to fill the cells. 9.4 meter vapor has another 50 kilometers on it. Until the wind dropped a bit. A put the kite into the wet bit of the beach, and the extra few kilos didn't help. It was a good afternoon east of the surf club. Lots of people at the beach.

We spent saturday night camped at the high tide track at the spit. I didn't have enough juice to get to leongatha servo so we camped. It was a great spot with wombats and big birds.

No way i was bugging the spit in that easterly on Sunday morning. there was not enough room to slow down.with the rising tide :)

Good to see John and Shane and Fozzie. I am sorry about the van park, they got travel-advised. 

Well folks, until next time 

:round-thumbs-up:

Melissa and I had an amazing time, despite the lack of decent wind we took this as our last break before a massive few months ahead.  We both really enjoyed the company, and the peace and tranquility of the location.  Views of the Prom etc were spectacular to wake up to and to watch as the sun set.  

spldw2017-002.jpg

spldw2017-001.jpg

The crew in the house were fantastic, Dave and Paul which are some friends of ours that @koma and I would spend afternoons racing our mini-quads with etc came down for the trip and brought their paramotors along, which led to a curious @DrWind being strapped to a Paraglider. He can share the rest ;)  Dave borrowed @rednblackmatuka's buggy and has planted a seed on how to move with no wind :good:

@DrWind got a few good runs in with @bakersdozen, @rednblackmatuka had another crack at flying his new 8.5 Star3.
Dave and Paul did a run all the way to Prom and back on the final morning.

Overall not great wind for the trip but fantastic company, Paul showing us "when something in life shits you break it or get rid of it" to which a 4K action cam then went flying out the lounge room on the 2nd floor, out over the balcony and gone :rofl:   @bakersdozen despite being given about 800+ olives in a 10 litre jar rationing them out each night in fear we were all going to eat them before he got them home :D  We managed to spend one night teaching Paul how to use his camera by requiring Mark to repeatedly use his vaporiser to blow vapour to time lapse with light on different angles hitting it, we had him doing this all the way up until 2am.  I'm not sure that vaporiser is now curing his addiction :D 

Some photos, I need to download the ones off the DSLR these are from phone and drone.  Excuse the drone shots, I had video filters on there so they're a bit blurry for stills.

spldw2017-003.jpg

spldw2017-004.jpg

spldw2017-007.jpg

Mark & Dave "sharing" the sky :D 

spldw2017-006.jpg

This was a new position... @DrWind waiting on the wind to pickup in the afternoon...

spldw2017-005.jpg

BBQ dinner each night....

spldw2017-008.jpg

Flying gliders, mini-quads, drones and anything else to entertain ourselves....
spldw2017-010.jpg

spldw2017-009.jpg

Some stills from a video I took of the lighthouse for a future video...
spldw2017-011.jpg

spldw2017-012.jpg

Low res quick panorama showing the entrance and back of the inlet.

Panorama-LowRes.jpg

11 hours ago, .Joel said:

Melissa and I had an amazing time, despite the lack of decent wind we took this as our last break before a massive few months ahead.  We both really enjoyed the company, and the peace and tranquility of the location.  Views of the Prom etc were spectacular to wake up to and to watch as the sun set.  

spldw2017-002.jpg

spldw2017-001.jpg

The crew in the house were fantastic, Dave and Paul which are some friends of ours that @koma and I would spend afternoons racing our mini-quads with etc came down for the trip and brought their paramotors along, which led to a curious @DrWind being strapped to a Paraglider. He can share the rest ;)  Dave borrowed @rednblackmatuka's buggy and has planted a seed on how to move with no wind :good:

@DrWind got a few good runs in with @bakersdozen, @rednblackmatuka had another crack at flying his new 8.5 Star3.
Dave and Paul did a run all the way to Prom and back on the final morning.

Overall not great wind for the trip but fantastic company, Paul showing us "when something in life shits you break it or get rid of it" to which a 4K action cam then went flying out the lounge room on the 2nd floor, out over the balcony and gone :rofl:   @bakersdozen despite being given about 800+ olives in a 10 litre jar rationing them out each night in fear we were all going to eat them before he got them home :D  We managed to spend one night teaching Paul how to use his camera by requiring Mark to repeatedly use his vaporiser to blow vapour to time lapse with light on different angles hitting it, we had him doing this all the way up until 2am.  I'm not sure that vaporiser is now curing his addiction :D 

Some photos, I need to download the ones off the DSLR these are from phone and drone.  Excuse the drone shots, I had video filters on there so they're a bit blurry for stills.

spldw2017-003.jpg

spldw2017-004.jpg

spldw2017-007.jpg

Mark & Dave "sharing" the sky :D 

spldw2017-006.jpg

This was a new position... @DrWind waiting on the wind to pickup in the afternoon...

spldw2017-005.jpg

BBQ dinner each night....

spldw2017-008.jpg

Flying gliders, mini-quads, drones and anything else to entertain ourselves....
spldw2017-010.jpg

spldw2017-009.jpg

Some stills from a video I took of the lighthouse for a future video...
spldw2017-011.jpg

spldw2017-012.jpg

Low res quick panorama showing the entrance and back of the inlet.

Panorama-LowRes.jpg

On point summary @.Joel

You rekon we ate olives at Sandy Point. You should have seen the look on my <2yo daughters face when I got home. She cracked into them like nobody's business. I had to teach her how not to swallow the pits.

Awesome time all round, great to hang out with everyone.

Hey @.Joel great pictures!

Adding my bit . . . I thought the weekend was perfect!

It is always great to be amongst a group who want to push the envelope in every 'extreme' and do things just a little outside of the box.  This weekend was no exception. Whether it was the 'extreme' sports (paramotoring, paragliding, buggying, motorised buggying, landboarding, sport kiting), 'extreme' hobbies (drones, FPV flying, RC planes, camera action), extreme food (more meat than I have veer seen and super yummy pickled olives), or other talk of 'extreme' interests beyond what we could fit into trailers and car boots to take down there, it was all great!

Yeah the wind didn't blow some days . . . and blew too much others, there was sun, fog, lightening and rain . .  yet there was still plenty of fun buggying to be had.

Thanks all for making it a great time away. I cannot wait for the next trip! :dance: