Tribe of Trilobites

My daughter got mine for me. She said it reminded her of my beard.:laugh3:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/classic-3D-10-5-M-1-Line-Stunt-Parafoil-Trilobites-POWER-Sport-Kite-outdoor-to-a-/252479642033?hash=item3ac8f599b1:g:LXgAAOSwRoxXmrz9

22 hours ago, igeighty said:

i don't think you could make one yourself any cheaper.

ill have a think about it :) cheers joel

There is an enormous amount of sewing in it. Lots of different colours. There is also a vent each side that can be tied closed (with a bow of the attached ribbons) for lighter winds.

they look fantastic, i fellow had one at rosebud, and it really was well behaved kite. it looked pretty special too..

i think his one was a red white black one, looked fantastic. Would be good to anchor down the beach.

You are right, were is a ton of stictching in these. quite a bargain when you look at it that way.

cheers for the Ebay link, even with the $100 postage it is cheaper than ali-express. something to think about for kingston after christmas :)

These are made in Tan Xinbo's factory "Weifang Kaixuan Kite Manufacture Co. Ltd."  He is the licensed manufacturer in China for Peter Lynn kites.  For the Trilobite, you can order any colour combination you want, and they manufacture and ship really quickly.  Just check out the Trilobite Owners Group on Facebook to see how many they've made and shipped recently.  Every one who has posted seems very, very satisfied.

You can contact them directly, either via Facebook or their website http://www.kaixuankite.cn/

• 3 years later...

First go at the Trilobite 7. It is still too wet to fly the 36. as it doesn't fit it our small lounge to dry out. as it is the 7 is taking up the entire lounge just drying out.

I went for the white ones as I haven't seen these before. Perhaps later I can make some color for it. but I really like the white

hi @Chookie, 

Yes mate, I love them, a couple of weeks ago at a small kite event in western Victoria I had a good play with Ricky Bakers 10m Trilobite. I think I was hooked. then I saw these white ones for sale on Ali, I knew I had to have them. I bought myself some decent spectra, 100m of 175kg,750kg and 1200kg and ordered the 36 and 7, and the jellyfish (Blob Marley) for mezz.

Up at the Eden whale festival, Ian Burrell had a 2m the wind was cracking 35-40 knots and the little 2m was right at home.

I will get myself a 3 and a 16 also this Monday all in white.. (Ali express has its 11.11 sale) with the 3 as low as $65. Mum would like a 3m also, but I think ill get her a 7 for Christmas :)

Hopefully tomorrow I will get out and give the 36 a crack, (that's what the 1200kg line is for)

Bring yours to Kingston, I know a few others from Adelaide have them too. And Bull has one or two (probably more by now) and we can see how many we can get up at once.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

We have increased the trilobite family to 8 now. They are all white with red eyes. The new additions are a pair of small 3 m another 7m and a 10m

The collection is now 3,3,3,7,7,10,16 and 36m The smaller 6 can effectively fly themselves tethered. But the larger 16 and 36 definitely need a minder

i can’t get photos in the air just yet, but the day will come when we can get outside to fly again. 

9DBC17EE-4C56-4194-8568-2DCBA9E778D4.jpeg

18 hours ago, igeighty said:

We have increased the trilobite family to 8 now. They are all white with red eyes. The new additions are a pair of small 3 m another 7m and a 10m

The collection is now 3,3,3,7,7,10,16 and 36m The smaller 6 can effectively fly themselves tethered. But the larger 16 and 36 definitely need a minder

i can’t get photos in the air just yet, but the day will come when we can get outside to fly again. 

9DBC17EE-4C56-4194-8568-2DCBA9E778D4.jpeg

That's cool! What kind of pull do the big one's generate and what line do you need?

Gday, 

the larger 36, which has a body about 5.5m wide by 6.5 long has a fair amount of pull, we generally anchor it down to the car with 1200 kg spectra. It is probably a little overkill however I generally do not fly it over 15 knots. Being so large it can fly in as low as 3-5 knots with no problems and is very floaty. 

the little 3m guys do not have a very large lifting surface at all and can be flown on 120 pound spectra.

the larger two 36 and 16 I generally launch with long line launch. Once they are in place and no children are hanging off the tails. The smaller ones can go up around and amongst them forming a swarm.

they are very stable kites and self correct themselves in the sky by way of the huge long tentacles. Which act as rudders. They make very good lifters with plenty of stability to hang any kind of line laundry from them.

pulling the big guys down is pretty simple. Just walking towards them along the lines. Once they are on the ground I flip the big girl on her back and she just sits there :) 
A7B72FF5-23DB-4660-84C2-94A25A5F8C4E.thumb.jpeg.da4b84c2680d30f7253adcfa86d64b65.jpeg

my next trick will be to try and get them flying in a train. With the larger one as a pilot and the smaller ones acting more like line laundry.

CF79BB2B-4B43-4959-89D5-3CFDDA5D84A2.thumb.jpeg.64ffe25035b6dc188a7b141476c79b48.jpeg