Tempelhof

ssayre

Damn, that was sweet!  What a place.  I'd give John's teeth too, just sayin.....

It was interesting that it was dated 2016 yet all the NASA Stars were NS2s.  I didn't see an NS3 in the bunch.  There was an interesting sort of rainbow colored SS that was in frame a few times.  I wonder what type that was?  I didn't recognize it.  Some Euro special no doubt.

Nice share Sean! :crazypilot:

2 hours ago, windstruck said:

Damn, that was sweet!  What a place.  I'd give John's teeth too, just sayin.....

It was interesting that it was dated 2016 yet all the NASA Stars were NS2s.  I didn't see an NS3 in the bunch.  There was an interesting sort of rainbow colored SS that was in frame a few times.  I wonder what type that was?  I didn't recognize it.  Some Euro special no doubt.

Nice share Sean! :crazypilot:

I could be wrong but I'm guessing there are tons of second hand ns2's swirling around in the area with Born-Kite specializing in "Streetkite" and the fact that ns2's were in continuous production unchanged for several years.  Born-Kite is within 3 hours of Tempelhof so Im surprised Steffen hasn't made a video there and I'm also surprised there wasn't at least a few ns3's or fabled long stars.

This video kind of confirms what I have found as well.  The majority were on 4m size (yellow) with one 2.5 (green on short lines).  The 4 meter size is by far my most used size for average wind.  If you could only have one size for asphalt kiting, it would be the 4m.  Coupled with a few line lengths, it covers that perfect mid range of wind. 15mph would be no lines and with a 5m set and full length set can easily take you down to 8mph.  And I weigh 240 lbs.

Steve, your 3.2 I suspect would be phenomenal as well.

A fantastic playground. is it a smooth surface ? the only airfield i have been on recently is wangarratta, and it's surface is a very course 'blue metal' stone. that stuff hurts to walk on :)

There was a buggy on the airfield near lakes entrance many years ago, however that is a grass runway and the wind just wasn't right. Also up in New south wales in foster-tuncurry there is a small runway on wallis island. We had a rip around that in about 1994. it was a trip in a boat with the buggies to get to it. but a real little paradise.

One day, i will be able to visit all these places around the world. there are just so many on the list now :)

just after a bit of googling wallis island is (or was) for sale.... we could own an island with a runway ...

from http://www.businessinsider.com.au/here-are-11-private-islands-you-can-buy-right-now-in-australia-2015-4

wallis.jpg

Title: Freehold
Price: Price Upon Request
Size: 142.85ha

300km north of Sydney, the parcel is nestled amongst other channel islands at the mouth of Wallis Lake, close to the twin township of Forster/ Tuncurry. Has its own private 1500m runway.

Features: Oysters, various fish species, mud crabs, blue swimmers, prawns and octopus. Head out for your own private walking trails, swimming lagoons, beautiful flora and fauna, including deer. Access is only by boat or plane.

found it.. $1675000 only..

http://raywhiteforstertuncurry.com.au/nsw/forster/882620/

I've been drooling over that place for years (Tempelhof, not that other "airport").

The Germans don't know how lucky they are - kiters that is. No wonder they win most ATB events when you have such a huge open space with mix of short grass and concrete/bitumen to practice on.

But since it's called "Tempel-hof", we should all plan a pilgrim there with buggies, landboards, all our kites and just camp there. frack the cops. I would kiss the tarmac!

Pure heaven

It was brought to my attention from someone on pkf that tempelhof is closed to the public and is now a refugee camp. Looks like that's true from the little research i did. I'm shocked they would take away a recreation area instead of coming up with another solution. 

8 hours ago, windstruck said:

@jhn.holgate - did you chew a lot of sugar cane when you were young, or is this spectacular grill more the result of some ghastly kiting accident? I'm assuming here of course that your wife doesn't just beat you senseless on a regular basis. Enquirering minds want to know!

Yes, kiting accident while chewing sugar cane.  Then when I got home the wife beat me sensless because I was stupid enough to chew sugar cane while trying to kite.  I don't have much of a memory of that day so I'm not sure at which point the teeth parted company. :Toothless-smiley:

14 minutes ago, jhn.holgate said:

Yes, kiting accident while chewing sugar cane.  Then when I got home the wife beat me sensless because I was stupid enough to chew sugar cane while trying to kite.  I don't have much of a memory of that day so I'm not sure at which point the teeth parted company. :Toothless-smiley:

I figured I was pretty close to the truth. I get it about not remembering much. I'm still a complete blank when it comes to my accident. Zip, zilch, nada. Good luck with the missus. I know you've got the rest handled. :Oh-shit: