Buggy Tyres

jaysmith

As my bug has serious egg shape in the rims that cause me to fear for my life when I hit 35 kph I started to look at new tyre / rim combinations that make for a smooth ride but are still affordable.

I really like the size / profile of the tyres on @Chook's sysmic and came across these which I think may be similar. https://www.geotyres.com.au/16x6-50-8-k401-8-ply-kenda-straight-rib-tyre/

Has anyone had experience with these tyres? If so any Ideas on the rims they would fit on and where to get them.

These are midi tyres aren't they jay ? 

http://www.briskites.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=548 (midi) jason has the midi tyres for $56 each

Rim 2.5"x8" Aluminum

Rim 4"x8" Aluminum i ordered the 8x8 and 4x8 from sysmic a while ago, and they where here in about 10 days.

Both of the above rims are using 20mm inside diameter bearings. you could use Adapter for 12mm or 15mm axle if your axles are 12 or 15mm.

what buggy are they going on ? i have a set of these tyres on standard peter lynn rims, i can measure them up for you if you like so you can see if they fit your fork.

I am using these tyres on my peter lynn xr+ buggy, and i love them. 

Thanks for the info @igeighty :thankyou:

Well I'll be ! they are the same tyre, I must be blind.

So it looks like including shipping it would be about $400 all up to completely set myself up with these.

I would be using the adaptors to start with until I upgrade my rear axle.

My bug is a Rockville Classic, the forks on it now won't suit but I will make some new ones up from steel If I do end up getting Midis, so no need to measure up for me.

I may have to just get some standard Fallshaw barrow wheels for now though as $400 is a fair way over budget.

At least I know how much I am up for when I do decide to go wide  

I have very similar Deestone 16 x 6.5's which I originally put on some cheap plastic rims that I bought at the local trash and treasure.  The rims had garbage wheelbarrow tyres on and shit 1" bearings.  I got better bearings and put the midi's on and they ran well for a couple of years till I got the sysmic rims - then I just swapped over the tyres (easier said than done).  I think my tyres are 4 plys.  I have tubes in 'em - never had a puncture and rarely have to put air in them and they've probably done something like 7000km or so.  I probably only paid $15 or so bucks per rim and tyre originally before I put the midi's on and found a bit of split electrical conduit made a perfect spacer over the 20mm bolt so it would fit snugly in the 1" bearing.

1 minute ago, jhn.holgate said:

I have very similar Deestone 16 x 6.5's which I originally put on some cheap plastic rims that I bought at the local trash and treasure.  The rims had garbage wheelbarrow tyres on and shit 1" bearings.  I got better bearings and put the midi's on and they ran well for a couple of years till I got the sysmic rims - then I just swapped over the tyres (easier said than done).  I think my tyres are 4 plys.  I have tubes in 'em - never had a puncture and rarely have to put air in them and they've probably done something like 7000km or so.  I probably only paid $15 or so bucks per rim and tyre originally before I put the midi's on and found a bit of split electrical conduit made a perfect spacer over the 20mm bolt so it would fit snugly in the 1" bearing.

Love it John, Hopefully I can be as lucky with my scrounging. Good thing is with winter set in, I have time on my side to hunt.

7000 K's :eek: , well at least I know ill only need to have one set for a very long time.

If you need to use adapters to reduce bearings to axle sizes..eg 20mm sysmics to 12 or 15 mm PL axles, I have used the adapters from Briskites which locate in the outer edges of the bearings and the adapters from Kitepower which slide inside the wheel bearings.

The Kitepower items work much more efficiently and quietly. Obviously, larger diameter axle bolts would be better, but some older PL forks don't have much material to be drilling out to 20mm and the cost of a new rear axle with larger 20mm threads need to be considered.

Michael

Edited by Mik333
Forgot to add rear in relation to the axle

• 4 years later...
On 7/25/2016 at 4:59 PM, jhn.holgate said:

So would the tyres in the picture below fit a standard peter lynn rim? What effect would this have on the tyre when mounted, I know the Kenda K401 definitely wouldn't ( or would look stupid if it did🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20210504-225731_Chrome.jpg