My Place - in Time Lapse

jhn.holgate

About 10,000 photographs later.......

The photos are either taken from my place or the top of my neighbor's hill behind my place which has stunning 360 views.  If you've got the bandwidth, stick it on full screen and 1080.

There was no panning or zooming done mechanically - all the motion is done via Panolapse.

Cheers Mark.  Most of the star-lapse was taken with the Pentax K50 and 10 - 20mm Sigma, 18 - 125mm Sigma or 35mm Pentax lens.  Usually wide open on the aperture - or one stop down on the Pentax as it's a f2.4.  Most were 20 second shots at ISO 3200 except for the one with a bright light in the paddock (I think they were sowing) was 10 seconds at ISO 1600 at f2.8 35mm.  The intervalometer was set for a couple of seconds longer to allow the camera time to write the info to card.  Night shots were .DNG (raw) images as I wanted the most control I could get of the picture but the daytime shots were .jpg files and I cut the camera down to 8mp to keep the computer from getting a hernia.

The night time shots were pretty heavily processed in Lightroom to get rid of a lot of noise at the expense of a little detail.

Very good information, thanks! Lightroom is my favourite tool to edit images. So much power over the raw image.

One more question...How did you come to  settle on the ISO levels for the night shots? Camera meter? or trial and error with test shots? Some other method?

Cheers!

Trial and error, Mark.  Both with ISO and exposure time.  3200 is about the most I can get away with but it still needs a fair bit of noise reduction in Lightroom.  If I can get away with a faster lens and ISO 800 then I will.  I try to keep exposure time so that the stars don't trail and that depends on the focal length of the lens.

Samyang make some nice looking f1.4 - f 2.8 wide and moderate angle lenses for half the price of the name brands - QC is a bit of pot luck but when you get a good one, they're supposedly excellent value for money.  Something I'll look into in the near future.

Brilliant John. I can see a lot of effort went into this production. Can't wait to hear the sound track when I get home. Interesting with the cattle shots, how the odd animal decides to be quite different from the rest of the herd. Good side splitter at the end :) .

Just came home and put the earphones on and just chilled out. Your music works well with your video John. Hmm might give this time lapse a go the next time we go out slope soaring.

Regards,

Norman