3m brooza pushes new womens speed record.

igeighty

"A new world land speed record has been set at Cefn Sidan (South Wales) for a woman pilot on a beach surface.

Karen Cutbush is the fastest female kite buggier in the world after reaching a speed of 55.5mph (89.3 kph) across the sands using her 3m Brooza race kite."

http://newsroom.carmarthenshire.gov.uk/news-archive/2016/03/kite/#.VwX_y2NVNHj

The sailing area at Cefn Sidan is over 5 miles long and the beach can be over a mile wide at low tide, and boasts hard packed sand along the entire beach

http://www.clscuk.co.uk/about.html

My best on the 3m brooza was 69.7 kph last weekend at sandy. a great little kite with plenty of grunt.

Great Job Karen

1 hour ago, ssayre said:

I'm pretty sure that's already been beat by a woman in the USA at Ibx event that just finished. 

On March 28th on Lake Ivanpah (dry lake bed on border of CA and NV near Las Vegas) Tami Fraser (Utahtami on PKF) clocked 58.8 mph in a buggy verified with two GPS systems. This was the day before the official start of IBX.  I see notation of the surface and that Karen was on sand while Tami was on hard dried mud.  I'm unclear if this matters in the records world.

I stay in personal contact with Tami via email if folks on this forum would appreciate more details of this historic event. What I shared is what I know. I arrived Tuesday so I didn't witness it, but many others did and this is not a ruse. 

Tami is a total sweetheart btw. She is slender and about five feet tall or maybe an inch or two more. Her small stature does not translate into a meek will needless to say. 

In the US we have a Rocky Mountain niche saying that goes "Ski like a girl".  It originated at Jackson Hole in Wyoming, a really steep and intimidating ski resort. This is a highly complimentary expression. I'm still waiting for it to be applied to me!

I think we could use a "Buggy like a girl" expression for the likes of Karen and Tami. You go girls!

Tami relayed a link to me to Popeye's site where there is a write up of her heroics:

http://popeyethewelder.com/archives/15796

From an email from the speed demon herself:

Karen (UK) broke Britta Berg's (Germany) record of 53.13, Karen coming in at 55.5 the day before I hit my 58.8 mph. The 3 of us have exchanged messages on FB. They have both been very encouraging and supportive.

I think this is pretty darn cool. Doubly cool that these speedsters keep in touch. 

Big speeds! Particularly on the dry lake where imo its scarier than riding dry grass at speed. So with that in mind and not to take anything away from these two but why do records for women exist ? I mean there's almost zero physical demand using FB hooked in.

7 hours ago, RedSky said:

Big speeds! Particularly on the dry lake where imo its scarier than riding dry grass at speed. So with that in mind and not to take anything away from these two but why do records for women exist ? I mean there's almost zero physical demand using FB hooked in.

This is a good point of course. Same could be said for target shooting and other events that don't demand ultimate size, strength, etc.  I've now had five total days of buggying on the Ivanpah playa, lots on grass, and zero on beach sand, so I'm surely no expert, but for me, I'm quite scared of a high speed OBE on rock hard 40-wt sandpaper but not so much about ejecting onto grass. I suspect I would be somewhere between these on sand. So for me, my top speed on the playa is absolutely tied into my nerves even when the wnd is smooth and I've got miles of open, smooth space all around me. As such, to me this becomes a test of will, courage, and just plain old stones. That makes it relevant in my mind for the genders to be split out. 

On 4/8/2016 at 1:47 PM, RedSky said:

Big speeds! Particularly on the dry lake where imo its scarier than riding dry grass at speed. So with that in mind and not to take anything away from these two but why do records for women exist ? 

Why do we split many sports into different categories? Weight, age, height, able bodied, non-able bodied, mentally impaired, the list goes on.

Don't see any issue with splitting it for the two sexes.

Do we take it further and add weight classes? :clapping:

We have different surfaces, next could be kites, FB or depower, harnessed in or not, hotwired in or not, many more options we could consider?

On 4/8/2016 at 1:47 PM, RedSky said:

I mean there's almost zero physical demand using FB hooked in.

I am sure Brian Holgate thinks his 135kph was zero effort.

8 hours ago, nigel said:

Why do we split many sports into different categories? Weight, age, height, able bodied, non-able bodied, mentally impaired, the list goes on.

Don't see any issue with splitting it for the two sexes.

Do we take it further and add weight classes? :clapping:

We have different surfaces, next could be kites, FB or depower, harnessed in or not, hotwired in or not, many more options we could consider?

I am sure Brian Holgate thinks his 135kph was zero effort.

I'm not trying to be a white knight but I cringe a little when we congratulate women for doing so well in kite buggying specifically. It feels little patronizing. I can't think of a single reason why they should have their own category.

I guess now is as good a time to share a little secret that I've been hiding from you all. I haven't yet told my parents or friends but I feel like I can tell you guys.... I'm transgender. Does this mean I now hold the world speed record for a tranny in a buggy? 

16 minutes ago, RedSky said:

I'm not trying to be a white knight but I cringe a little when we congratulate women for doing so well in kite buggying specifically. It feels little patronizing. I can't think of a single reason why they should have their own category.

I guess now is as good a time to share a little secret that I've been hiding from you all. I haven't yet told my parents or friends but I feel like I can tell you guys.... I'm transgender. Does this mean I now hold the world speed record for a tranny in a buggy? 

You go girl....uh guy...uh girl!  I would think this liberation would give you at least a 5mph burst, maybe 10. I hear ya brotha.... er.... sista. I'm chivelrous too and that is equally hard to defend in this day and age but there you have it. Truth be told Tami and I are friends and she just flat out buggies a whole lot faster than I dare to on the Ivanpah playa, probably 50% faster. That surface is dry cracked mud that is hard as a rock and rough like 40wt sandpaper. I wear body armor when I buggy and skate there (what my fellow buggying friend John refers to as donning "plastic courage") but nonetheless my top speed is what I can tolerate psychologically before I back off because the fear of hitting the deck at any higher speed far outweighs my desire to go any faster.

So from that perspective of course you are absolutely right; by and large top buggy speed (conditions, technology, etc notwithstanding) seems largely about kahonas, the kind that can hang from a man, a woman, or in your case, Choice C:. Other :maninlove::maninlove::maninlove:

On 4/9/2016 at 0:38 AM, windstruck said:

So from that perspective of course you are absolutely right; by and large top buggy speed (conditions, technology, etc notwithstanding) seems largely about kahonas, the kind that can hang from a man, a woman, or in your case, Choice C:. Other :maninlove::maninlove::maninlove:

I'm not bi and large. ( Emo Philips joke )

• 5 months later...

I'm only stumbling onto this thread now....how did I miss it?

We are all pushing each other is this amazing sport/hobby.  What I do today will be broken the next and no doubt there will be me or someone else trying to hit the next record....and why not.  At the end of the day, my most happiest place is under a kite looking left, looking right and seeing my mates flying with me....the rest is all gravy.

In life we all set ourselves challenges.  I promise you that Tami did not put the brakes on at 58mph, she would have achieved a speed that her kite and conditions would have allowed her to reach.  It just so happened to be 58mph, BUT it could have been 68mph, who knows.....she did not stop at 58mph because she is a girl and she had broken the girls record, absolutely not(!).  Us girlies in this sport will continue to encourage and support all flyers to do their best, male and female.

It's historic that there is a male and female category in most things.   I am happy that I and the rest of the girls in this sport who show enthusiasm and courage are recognized, there is not enough female pilots amongst the community of kiters and encouragement go a long way.