WindJunky Weather App

Brogz

Hey guys,

Just wanting to get some feedback about a weather app that we built for wind junkies like us :)

Be keen to hear if there are any features that you guys think would be useful for buggying and landkiters etc?

Eg. I haven't added the inland wind stations but think this would be useful for you guys.

It's called "WindJunky" and is free on the playstore and appstore. There is also a website with the links to the app. 

https://windjunky.com.au/

Anyways, any feedback would be great since we just launched. 

Cheers,

Brett

I don't seem to be able to find it on the itunes app store ??  Had a look at the website - all the info is there but the info boxes that come up when you put your cursor over the selected time tend to hide the wind speed arrow - it seems a little small and cluttered.  Then I did a search for Warnambool....no results.  Ocean Grove....no results.  Barwon Heads....no results.... 13th Beach.....no results.   On the strength of that, I'd have to say I'd be sticking with Willyweather - which has a large clear, easy to read display with selectable  one/three/five day graphs which is very handy.  Although I'm not sure WW still exists as an app.  But if you could achieve full page graphs similar to WW for the iPad with off line tides info for the next 12 months, then I'd be happy to pay for that.

Hey John,

Thanks a lot for the feedback, appreciate it. The links to the app on are on the homepage of the website but I have also included them below for you.

Yeah the graphs on the website are a bit cluttered in mobile mode and we need to fix this but I think you will find the graphs on the mobile app much cleaner once you find where to download it :D

In regards to searching for Warrnambool, Ocean Grove etc. We don't currently offer this, instead we give you the info based on the region which gives you a better idea of what the overall wind is doing for a given area. So if you want to see what the wind is doing down at Warrnambool you can see this under the menu VIC - West Coast and for Ocean Grove you can see this under the menu VIC - Central Coast.

Might be a good idea though for us to show the related region pages if you do a search on the site for a suburb so thanks for the idea. 

The app is free and will always be, my mate and I built it for us because we love to kite and liked the idea of being sent notifications to our phone for our favourite spots when the wind is blowing instead of always checking the BOM etc.

We just want to see it grow and I think you will find the mobile app a lot nicer than the website.

Anyways thanks again for the feedback.

Here are the links to the app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/windjunky/id1039798072?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.windjunky.mobile&hl=en

Cheers.

It's just the usual white search screen on the iPad with the magnifying glass symbol in the middle with 'There are no results for 'Windjunky'.  I've tried spelling it a few different ways with no luck.  Mind you, I've never been impressed with the search engine on Itunes - if you don't hold your tongue in just the right spot while you're typing......

I'll fire up iTunes on the PC and see if I have any better luck.

Oh look at that I remember building some similar weather graphs *cough* :upyours:  In all seriousness it does look nice, well done.  Beyond initial glances is where it falls apart a bit.

nyways, any feedback would be great since we just launched. 

Any? right...

Your graphs are your core offering right now, the fact that your core offering is unsuitable on mobile is simply un-fucking-forgivable today.  The last 30 days we have a combined total of 82% mobile device usage on Extreme Kites.  So basically if I lay my stats over your pages you've built a nice shiny website for 18% of viewers and you're betting all your eggs the other 82% are going to give up extra time in their lives to download an app.  But wait, where's your windows mobile phone app? :dontknow:  Those users can neither experience it on their mobile device properly nor do they have app access. 

Now stripping away all the nice colours the crux of a weather site is your data.  Now I know precisely how much decent data costs, I know this because my company currently pays for it and that data is being provided to a combined 4 very popular commercial weather sites & apps as 1 additional source under contract. 

You stated that the site is "free" well, "free" still needs to work...

Your forcast today....
forcast.thumb.png.a471b29f587420ed175373 

Your reality today....
fawkner.thumb.png.be29248ac41650e7b0b853

south-channel.thumb.png.76116188bacc3746

I would of picked a better day to come out swinging with "here's a great weather site."  

south-channel.png

It's just the usual white search screen on the iPad with the magnifying glass symbol in the middle with 'There are no results for 'Windjunky'.  I've tried spelling it a few different ways with no luck.  Mind you, I've never been impressed with the search engine on Itunes - if you don't hold your tongue in just the right spot while you're typing......

I'll fire up iTunes on the PC and see if I have any better luck.

Found it on the PC version of the Itunes store straight away. :good: But keep getting the 'there are no results' on the iPad. :dontknow:  I'll get it synced up and have a look on the iPad.

Cheers.

Got it running on the ipad this evening - it would be nice to see a full screen dedicated ipad screen instead of the 2x iphone screen.  And maybe a little less screen real estate given over to the header/footer bar.  It is nice to have the wind forecast overlaid with the tide data but I would love to see specific locations rather than just 'West Coast'.  A very useful app though and I hope you keep developing it.

If you ever have the time or the inclination to write it up, I'd be very keen to know how you go from conceiving an app like this to actually making it happen.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Mind you, I've never been impressed with the search engine on Itunes - if you don't hold your tongue in just the right spot while you're typing......

LOL.... yeah I feel the same away about iTunes John. I have a degree in computer science and still can't work out how to use it :confused:

I never knew what was going to happen when I pressed that bloody Sync button. That's why I am on Android these days.... no iTunes and am free to do what ever I want on my phone :yahoo:

Thanks Joel for your honest and raw feedback.....Can always rely on you telling it how it is. :blush:

Yeah graphs are very similar to your's mate and forecast's definitely need a lot more work. I did pick a bad day but hey I just displayed what the BOM gave me which goes to show you that forecasts can be wrong sometimes :D 

Will fix up the mobile site and can look at deploying a windows app (Just need to find someone that uses one so we can test because no one I know uses windows phones!!!!)  

Anyways, thanks again guys and will hopefully join you at one of your meetups this summer down at Sandy Point.

Cheers