Home Brewed Kite Buggies

emidub_4

After reading the build process that PriatePete has been doing. I thought it maybe interesting to put up some of our own home brewed kite buggies or mods on the forum. I know Chook , Andy666 and Westfire have built some awesome buggies over the years... So to start the ball rolling here are two of mine.

buggy1_1.jpg

buggy2_2.jpg

After reading the build process that PriatePete has been doing. I thought it maybe interesting to put up some of our own home brewed kite buggies or mods on the forum. I know Chook , Andy666 and Westfire have built some awesome buggies over the years... So to start the ball rolling here are two of mine.

Awesome looking buggying, what tyres are those?

My Bug is a combination of rails and seat manufactures by a guy in Texas who did business as Van Tan Tech (VTT), a downtube and back axle which are home-brewed, and a PL XR front fork. The rails are Van's version comparable to the Apexx, the back tires are off a golf cart (18x8.5-8) and the front is a standard Midi. I'm toying with the idea of welding up a front fork.

imagejpg3_zps49a8da94.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsb2a26b80.jpg

I received a DVD from "Wolfie" about Revolution kites. He threw in a copy of Marty and him buggying. :eek:

I was hooked and went over the shed that evening and started to build one.

Photo0514.thumb.jpg.71c83075cc97782f147d

I had no idea what was required and went out and taught/hurt myself trying. I loved it.

Photo0614.thumb.jpg.15afbb9f78bfe9b7a46e

Even for no wind situations I had a plan.

Photo0689.thumb.jpg.705b674519c0ece7cb97

Then a new buggy for Beach Racers.

Photo1168.thumb.jpg.c2b1c5fea6f06dd9ef3b

Then new side rails after using my Sysmic 2 in QLD.

Pic_0619_813.thumb.jpg.68173c5e342d2bd23

Pic_0703_853_(1024x768).thumb.jpg.1b0002

Buggy #5 It's been a hell of a lot of fun along the way.

IMG_20150801_150621_734.thumb.jpg.6d909b

IMG_20150802_162614_983_(768x1024).thumb

No Mark. There isn't any power anyway.

But I will certainly do it for you if you come via Esperance on the way home.:sarcastic: 

I realize your not... but it would be a very easy mod to the original tube. Cut out the slice on the top and both sides and bend the bottom till the correct angle is achieved. By doing it that way you can keep relieving the cut till you get the correct angle and it all stays square. Drill some 8mm holes and then insert some flat bar, to internally reinforce the joint top and bottom and plug weld them into position so there is no external additions to catch on. A couple of beers would seal the deal.

Did you make a replacement Andy to keep the trail in the steering at it's original angle?

No Mark. There isn't any power anyway.

But I will certainly do it for you if you come via Esperance on the way home.:sarcastic: 

I realize your not... but it would be a very easy mod to the original tube. Cut out the slice on the top and both sides and bend the bottom till the correct angle is achieved. By doing it that way you can keep relieving the cut till you get the correct angle and it all stays square. Drill some 8mm holes and then insert some flat bar, to internally reinforce the joint top and bottom and plug weld them into position so there is no external additions to catch on. A couple of beers would seal the deal.

Did you make a replacement Andy to keep the trail in the steering at it's original angle?

bugger, I have no way of making it down to Esperance after, may have a look if my local guy can do anything but he will cost more than a couple of beers!

Yeah, here is big red that I built. The main reason I built it was to test an idea I had about being able to move the rear axle to adjust the "balance" of the buggy.

1.jpg

i have also made a modified down tube for a PL mk2 that lowered the front of the seat and made it more comfy.

buggy.jpg

Great idea with Big Red.

My Bug is a combination of rails and seat manufactures by a guy in Texas who did business as Van Tan Tech (VTT), a downtube and back axle which are home-brewed, and a PL XR front fork. The rails are Van's version comparable to the Apexx, the back tires are off a golf cart (18x8.5-8) and the front is a standard Midi. I'm toying with the idea of welding up a front fork.

imagejpg3_zps49a8da94.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsb2a26b80.jpg

What size headstock 15mm / 20mm ? I have 20mm forks off the Dust Devil I'm not using, yours for the price of shipping.

Pretty sure the headstock is 12mm,... The PL's headstock is either 12 or 15mm, but I can easily exchange the bearings for something that will fit 20mm,... tell me how much does it weighs and I'll look into shipping (from London?)... wifey prob won't go for it though.... PM me some pics.  

Edited by soliver

• 2 weeks later...

Well, with all the pictures of home built buggies being posted, others ordering new race buggies and the talk about who will be the first to 100km, I'm all excited and wanting to get involved.

i can't afford a new buggy, so it was time to modify the trusty PL some more. I already had a modified down tube, so picked up a Giga axle from BrisKites last week and made some side rail extensions. Unfortunately I no longer have access to a lathe thru work, so I had to make do with parts from bunnings and my trusty mig welder.

the results........

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hey you left the lid up on your washing machine Andy!!! Only bloody thing I could see out of place in your clinically clean garage mate.:laugh2:

Don't ever set foot in my shed there is shit everywhere.

You have done a fantastic job there............it's got that Robbo Lukin's, buggy , look about it.

Quality:good:

Well, with all the pictures of home built buggies being posted, others ordering new race buggies and the talk about who will be the first to 100km, I'm all excited and wanting to get involved.

i can't afford a new buggy, so it was time to modify the trusty PL some more. I already had a modified down tube, so picked up a Giga axle from BrisKites last week and made some side rail extensions. Unfortunately I no longer have access to a lathe thru work, so I had to make do with parts from bunnings and my trusty mig welder.

the results.....

l love the down-tube, think I might have to get that done to mine. I've got a giga-strong axle and the longer side rails.

@andy666 what's the angle in the middle of the down-tube? And is the angle at the headstock the same as standard?

I reckon with that down tube and a buggy-bags seat I could re invent my PL comp! I think I will email the welder who did my extended side rails. 

Though could really do with somebody ho knows buggies!

Can anybody do CAD so I can get a design I could take to a welder I've used before? 

I want to do this!

Edited by gum-nuts