Airbourne Wind Turbines

Chaos

• 1 month later...

The problem with Helium is there isn't all that much of it, and it's getting more and more expensive. There's loads on the Moon of course, but that's not a lot of help.

Personally I think we should be concentrating on nuclear (fission) plants, they'll see us through until fusion is economic or civilization collapses, whichever comes first. Renewables absolutely have their place, mainly in rural areas, but the current (and growing) demand from cities won't be met by wind/tide/solar power.

I have been involved with the search for suitable geology for underground storage (dumps) for low level waste, boots, overalls, work wear, etc, and some of my colleagues have been beaten up, by the locals for being involved, just doing their jobs.

I'm just being a devils advocate here, but what would you prefer:

• 1 A wind farm visible from your house
  • 2 A low level radioactive dump within 10 miles of your house
  • 3 Neither of the above, its someone else's problem

2. I've got nothing against wind turbines, but they're a drop in the ocean compared to a nuclear power station. Having a low level dump nearby wouldn't bother me, I know how strict the controls are (and that living in Cornwall or Aberdeen is far more dangerous).

Of course once fusion is running we'll have very little waste, most of it with a very short half-life. The first commercial (if not economic) fusion reactor is tabled for 2030-ish if I remember correctly.

I wonder what a Daily Mail Mob would do with a radioactive paedophile, they wouldn't want to get too close but they'd want to kill him, you'd end up with some weird circular exclusion zone.

I wonder what a Daily Mail Mob would do with a radioactive paedophile, they wouldn't want to get too close but they'd want to kill him, you'd end up with some weird circular exclusion zone.

Until they figured out they could throw things at him :)

Yup, "Nuclear fusion - the power of the future, and it always will be" ;)

The thing is they actually appear to be moving on with it - ITER should produce 10x the energy input in heat, so that's a working fusion reactor. The next step is to use this to generate electricity, then the main problem is simply getting the economics right, as soon as the cost/watt drops low enough we'll be laughing. I seriously think I'll see fusion becoming mainstream in my lifetime.

It would be nice if it happened, or if any of the other wind turbine stuff above, but I fear that any government in power lacks the courage to invest in the infrastructure. Even new nuclear fission power plants are at least 15 years away, if they can find someone to build them. The private power companies are just happy to do nothing, until the government panics when power runs out, and then will charge over the odds for new gas powered stations.

I hope I'm wrong :(

New fission is super expensive. >£10billion per station at my last glance.

There'll be new gas power stations popping up left, right and centre very soon. Well, once the government realise that there isn't enough investment for nukes and renewable and the energy gap that will inevitably be created.

The point isn't the cost of the station, it's the lifetime cost per watt. Once oil gets expensive enough then any alternative - gas, nuclear (either type), hell, Britain's still got some pretty big coal fields that were only abandoned because oil was so much cheaper. One advantage of the whole capitalism thing is that plenty of international companies will be sitting on some fairly solid plans which will kick in as soon as oil hits a certain threshold...I hope they do at least, but there's a shedload of money to be made.

A small part of my reasoning for moving to the countryside (from Edinburgh) was a bit of a zombie plan...out here we can heat the house and water by going out and cutting wood if it ever comes to that. The cities would become pretty dangerous places after a few weeks without power I reckon.