Peter Lynn Aero

.Joel

March 2017: Introducing the Peter Lynn Aero....

peter_lynn_aero.jpg

Peter Lynn Aero Videos...

Pre 2017 Information:
The new Depower Race Kite was spotted at No Barriers 2015 event in the UK.  In amongst a sea of kites with colours and graphics, what's the best way to hide your latest prototype?  Ahh yes, make it bland with no graphics and that won't have anyone asking any questions :D 

001-peter_lynn_depower_race_foil_kite.jpgPhoto Credit: Scott Fryer, Action Shot of the Peter Lynn Depower Race Foil Kite

002-peter_lynn_depower_race_foil_kite.jpg
Photo Credit: Theo Southee Photography

He wet himself. He will be back shortly.:o

ROFLOL 

40 minutes have passed now...

I'm sure we all knew PL would eventually join the game. The 2 big developments the big name companies are putting stock in seem to be Single Skin kites and now the HIGH AR depower foils... welcome to the race PL.

I'm curious if there will be more Single Skin developments,... HQ? Ozone?

By the way, No Barriers looks like a super cool event... I saw the vid from last year's event and it looked AWESOME.

Edited by soliver

I'm here, I'm here. Some of us do have to work. 

Or more to the point have to work to afford the cost of a quiver of the latest new toy!!!

Oooooooooooooooo........................:isohappy:

Yes, only a matter of time before we had to see a kite from PL.

But it's going to be interesting to see where it sits in relation to the rest of the kites, be it Chrono style (more stable), or R1 (maximum speed, less stable).

So it looks like a 2016 release date then?

Mmmmm  I think I have just wet myself!! :eek:

Thanks James, seen the vid now 3 times.

Now what sizes?

What colours?  No C-Quad colour schemes please, some of those are just frightful.

What's it called?

Is that the next EK comp, name the new PL de-power?

Come on powers that be..... lets have this comp next... and the winner gets a new PL de-power.

I bags, The Peter Lynn: Wraith.

Looked like a great fun event as well.:good:

The kite in the video is the 12m which I have tested and able to fly from 15mph to 30mph be it rather scary to fly at the latter end of the scale, I can confirm we wont be having any scary colour schemes and if you can think of a name go for it..

Re the sizes, have a look at the attached pic, in the front you have the proto vapor 2 followed by me on possibly another depower..

I cannot share any more information at this point but will do as and when I am given the OK.

protos.jpg

Re the sizes, have a look at the attached pic, in the front you have the proto vapor 2 followed by me on possibly another depower..

*cough* VaporII depower *cough*
Someone put that bloody cat back in the bag.... @nigel ? :D 
So Peter Lynn essentially has 2 new race kites coming, a closed cell depower and an open cell depower 
:declare:

But it's going to be interesting to see where it sits in relation to the rest of the kites, be it Chrono style (more stable), or R1 (maximum speed, less stable).

Sorry to disappoint you but The R1 is very stable, it was nothing like the vapour, it is just turbo charged! the only thing I noticed was it does have a tendency to overfly when parked, but that is rectified through a bit of bar pressure and seriously are you going to leave it parked?

It's the future... fixed bridle are all but dead as far as racing is concerned.

I don't think I'd go that far.

You might find that in time they split them in to two different sections, fixed and de-power.

Fixed bridles dead for racing?  You might have to eat those words in a few years.

If you consider the costs in getting a quiver of these new super speedy kites, that's a hell of a lot of fixed bridle kites.

For the average racer, fixed bridle, and a basic buggy (with barrows) could be the new entry in to the sport.

You don't want to make the sport (race scene) too expensive so it prices out those who just want to have more fun than be serious.

Also if each manufacturer only sells their high aspect de-power, how are they going to make their bread and butter?

The entry kites will out sell the top end gear, so prices would go up if the fixed bridle stuff went. 

Fixed bridle kites are good for, euh well, they had their time.

The vapor 2 is fast, but not fast enough. If u want to step a level higher, then u should take a depower race-foil. 

That will only give u a steeper learning curve and more fun. 

Oh, and for those who wonder, yes the Ozone R1 is more stable then the Chrono, and faster :) 

But I would love to see some more competition from other brands in buggy-racing! ;) 

Edited by Davidov

My call, in 5 years time there will be not be any fixed bridle race kites on the market. And we will all reminisce about the days of fixed bridle racing.... !!!.... Just like we reminisce about C-Quads.

Think about it. The buggy racing market is unbelievably small compared to kitesurfing and snow kiting. Why sink money into a race  kite that only use is buggy racing when you can sink the same development money into a kite that will do all 3 forms of racing and sell 1000 times more kites????

I still see a market for an entry level and mid level fixed bridles.

Fixed bridle is far from dead I'd say, even in buggy racing.

Price point is a big factor but also, the sheer joy of handling a fixed bridle versus the ease of a depow.

Vapor II keeps up and even wins in straight line speed, where fixed bridles lose ground is in the turns because a depower, you just eh, depower and round the bouy.

A Fixed bridle takes a lot more skill to get round an intricate course and that's just the thing, it's so much more satisfying getting a good time on a track knowing you're perfectly in tune with your kite and you've gotten the most out of it.

Depower has definitely changed the game, people who weren't able to finish in the top 10 before slapped down a wad of cash for a set of depowers and hey presto, now they're in the top. And not because of skill, but because of money and that, in my humble opinion, is a sad thing to see happening in a sport where it used to be all about skill, size of balls, and choosing the right kite/size for the circumstances.

So yeah, I too would love to see a separation of classes in the future and not just because depowers are supposedly faster (difference isn't that big or not there at all) but more because of safety. The ease of depowering your kite and rounding a bouy versus choosing the perfect line and timing your turn perfectly with a fixed bridle has already created dangerous moments and frustration.

(You can see a good example in the NB video of what I'm talking about at 2:32, James depowers and stops almost on the spot, can't do that with a fixed bridle. Imagine a scenario like that in a race with 20 pilots trying to round the first bouy... not cool)

* Please note that this post is my personal opinion and stands completely separate from my work for Peter Lynn.

An interesting discussion!...

The only reason the sub top 10 guys became competative is because they purchased themselves better technology. Once all pilots are onto depower then those that were sub top 10 will drop back to their previous positions. 

I agree the depower is way easier. But at the same time that means you can do more than what you could in a fixed bridle. It will up the game and skill level will still be very important. However it will be slightly different skill set developed to milk the best out of depower......

The other reality is that kitesurfing, snowkiting, landboarding moved on from fixed bridle 10+ years about. Its old technology. Its about time buggying cought up to what every other kitersport has known for years and years,,,,,,,,, 

I guess we needed to wait for the depower performance to be better than fixed bridle performance for racing.