Born Kite Long Star

jhn.holgate

@windstruck.  In short. Yes. The 5 line bar setup is actually quite complex (Compaired to say the 3 line setup on the NS2's)

The "steering lines" go to the outside of the bar, and the..err..."other steering lines" go to the inside of the bar via, as does the depower line.  So the power is split between inside and outside of the bar. You can spin the bar to undo any line-twists no problem. Same way as any normal depower kite does it. I have to say the control system is a feat of "string engineering" the like of which i've never seen - Especially up at the kite end, but it seems to work really well.

Disclaimer: I've still not managed to get the thing out in decent wind so i'm basing all this on exceptionally low wind flying.

THIS JUST IN!

New great video footage of the LongStar, courtesy of Steffen. I got an email from his this AM alerting me to the new footage. Good stuff!

Woo-hoo that's shot here in Denmark :-) 

Which would you say is better for street kiting (with a longboard)? 

//M 

@BigTone - thanks for the clarification Big Daddy!  That bar does sound "interesting" to say the least.  I am very pleased however that one can un-spin twists similar to other DPs out there.  At least with my Peak 2s there have been many instances where the kite has come to the ground (lull in the wind, pilot error, purposely landing, etc.) only to have it roll around a little before getting airborne again.  I love not having to worry about twists in such settings, rather, just launch the darn thing and let go of the bar once airborne to sort the whole mess out.

The first of my two LongStars (in this case, 7m) is lost in a warp of time and space that is the DHL - US Customs - USPS vortex.

I haven't even unwrapped my lineset yet!!  

I do notice in the video that despite the light wind, Steffen is not having to sine the kite much at all.  It looks very much park 'n ride - much like the NS3's .  What a great spot Romo is.

I think you get the standard shoulder bag with the Long Star - I asked Steffen for smaller stuffsacks so I could cram them all into my buggy bag.  

Which would you say is better for street kiting (with a longboard)? 

I've not seen or heard anything about using the Long Star on short lines for street kiting yet - it's all yet to be tried. 

i would love to see a completely independent review from somebody who isn't addicted to Born-Kites!

That's why I like to do video reviews - I'm as skeptical as anyone (probably a lot more, actually) when I read how good stuff is or isn't.  But if it can be demonstrated in a video then I'm more likely to believe it.

That's why I like to do video reviews - I'm as skeptical as anyone (probably a lot more, actually) when I read how good stuff is or isn't.  But if it can be demonstrated in a video then I'm more likely to believe it.

Totally agree John.

I like it how in the latest video from Steffen he has shown the wind speed with a meter and not just a guess.

Thanks John that 3m looks fantastic. I think that bar and lines are yours right John?It doesn't  look like the standard bar and lines supplied by Bornkites?

Except for the Ronstan Snap Shackle attached to the middle of the bar, it's the standard bar and lines from Born-kite.  Rain stopped play today so hopefully I'll give it a spin tomorrow.

What a great spot Romo is.

Oh yea - I have a video in the making for the powerkiter.fr competition filmed at Rømø to show it off to the kiting community around the wond. I'll shoot a link to it once its done (I would love a vote in the competition as well) :-)

I've not seen or heard anything about using the Long Star on short lines for street kiting yet - it's all yet to be tried. 

Yea I might shoot Steffen a mail - he must have tried it :-)

//M

I'm not sure a video review is anymore forthright than a written review, anyhthing can be shown through editing. I think the more reviews on a single item including different conditions and opinions is much more valuable. 

It would be great to hear Joel, Chook or Plummets opinion, guys who have a lot of experience with kites. I have to say in Steffens video it looks good, love the colours and it appears to hold its shape better than the Peak. 

I know you will be honest in your opinion John.

I think the more reviews on a single item including different conditions and opinions is much more valuable. 

Absolutely.  When a whole bunch of people say the same thing, it's usually pretty convincing.   And it's true, I normally cut all the swearing and dummy spits out of my videos. :grin:  And I swear a LOT. :blush:

Johns videos and review of the nasa star is what led me to them and they fly and behave exactly as described. also, personally, I don't buy anything without seeing video of it. There are things that can't be edited out if you see a video of a kite in action especially by an individual and not a highly chopped up manufacturer video. Steffens videos are more honest in that since as well. They are more educational than hype IMO. 

Still, I can't help but worry about the complexity and number of lines on the bar. I think I would like to see it tested on the 3 line bar as well if that's possible. 

Still, I can't help but worry about the complexity and number of lines on the bar. I think I would like to see it tested on the 3 line bar as well if that's possible. 

Me too.  I will also try the 3 line bar, handles and maybe even the Ozone Turbo bar just for a laugh - although I never had much luck with the TB and the NS2's. 

Also, guys that fly speeds, chronos and vapors, wouldn't like nasa star / long star type kites unless they want them for a different application than they normally fly.  That would be like me reviewing a Vapor at my local spot.  I would go back and fourth from sitting still to obe and getting dragged all over the place.  :grin:  My review would probably not be favorable but yet it's still a great kite

Wow this subject is motoring away,it's like Christmas morning every day this week.I keep getting email from the forum saying so and so has made a comment on extreme kites.Personally I am waiting for Johns video reviews as I personally enjoy them because he includes different views of the kite and equipment, both distance filming and close ups of equipment details along with descriptive and informative comments.Its like being up close and personal with kite gear.

Thanks

Windance

I must try and find someone in the UK to get a hands on demo

I have always been curious about NASA kites and Born Kites specifically, but like Sean says, I have no need for them.  My conditions allow me to fly high aspect foils that can punch you in the spine safely.  I suspect if I ever have to move to a land-locked area, I may migrate my quiver in that direction.  The Long Star looks ridiculous and awesome at the same time.  It also appears to be blazing fast across the window compared to the NASA Stars.  I am not a flat out race kite guy myself, but I love my Reactors and my Speed 3 and Charger.

Hey John just thought this has surely got to inspire a new song or hit so to speak??????

Done. :round-thumbs-up:  Although it's mighty unlikely to ever be a hit.

I did notice one thing about my package that I confirmed with Steffen - someone opened up the 7m and took it out of it's plastic and 'folded' it back up.  Anyone else had kites opened up during transit?  I'm assuming it was customs....:dontknow: