• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

curious as to how you stop in a hurry.

Me too!!

2nd outing at 13th Beach. Now here's a big advantage of kites - 15 knots on the top of the dune. 8 knots on the beach where the sail is!! Might have picked up to 12 -13 after a little while. Got the battens to change sides of the mast with some extra effort put into the initial downhaul (that's the double/triple pulleys that pulls the leading edge of the sail really tight at the bottom of the mast step) and give it a good reef on the main sheet (the rope I'm holding) halfway through the turn and sail and battens popped nicely across to the other side of the mast. :good:

Very, very relaxing cruising! Just like sitting in a big lounge chair that occasionally wants to tip you over - there's certainly a fair bit of flex as the mast causes the swan neck/front wheel to tilt - it's obviously not designed for this so I'll keep my eye on the welds where the side rails meet the downtube as I figure that's probably where it's going to fatigue. Turned out to be a really nice afternoon's cruising. Except for Warren. (committee guy telling us we're vehicles and not allowed on the beach). Must remember some ribbon for the top of the mast to keep an eye on wind direction and pop some tell tails (bits of string) on the sail to make sure it's working at best angle. (if strings are hanging limp, the sail is stalled so need to adjust either angle of sail or angle of travel).....I think....

Iain wins - it's the BlowMax!!

Nice one John. You are running at a fraction of it's potential though. :)

If you sheet in really hard it actually becomes more stable as the wing begins to work and suck you along. The apparent wind will kick in and the world moves past quicker.

Get those tell tales on. With clean faster air over the sail it's a hoot. :D

Nice one John. You are running at a fraction of it's potential though. :)

If you sheet in really hard it actually becomes more stable as the wing begins to work and suck you along. The apparent wind will kick in and the world moves past quicker.

Get those tell tales on. With clean faster air over the sail it's a hoot. :D

Faster,.... faster,.... faster,..... flip, woohoo just make sure you get it on film.

• 1 month later...

Nice one John,

I've been thinking on this subject for quite some time now, I even have a mast waiting, but sadly no sails yet. I must admit though the motivation hasn't been there either, lol

I do remember seeing one set up on a buggy with a dual framed goose neck on the net somewhere a while back, and I think it had some bracing bars back to the side frames to stop the twist. I'll see if I can find the pis, I think I saved them somewhere.

• 6 years later...

Hi John

i have an Elliot big foot virus who make a sailing mast conversion

i have a 4m sail but want to use a bigger windsurf sail

the blokart sails are silly money and they need their mast which is £1000!

I'm thinking say a 6m but rotational windsurf sails need a lot of down haul to rotate the batons 

wondering whether you had any suggestions on best type of sail?