Yeppoon and Capricorn Coast

Kozzie

speaking of all manner of kiteing. I dont know if I had anything to do with it but ever so slowly more and more little stunt kites started sprouting up in the air where I was on farnborough today was awesome like a mini kite festival bout half a dozen at one time hahaha was very difficuly to not jump over there and smash them all with my big kite I decided I looked like enough of a knob allready tho with the tripods n helmet cams and failing to do the simplest of tricks. but yeah thats awesome that some of you will be here for the 2 weeks :D I approached the local kiters down in that little wind window that you said do the gki crossing. they only go from gki to farnborough slackers, and they kite down there so people can watch them ...... hahaha *sigh* some people ay hahaha but yeah coastguard gave me a heads up and some advice so next time suns out and steady light wind im going to kite to pumpkin island aka XXXX ISLAND! how good is that?! I had no idea it was in yeppoon and its closer then GKI I reckon those of you that have boards should raid XXXX island maybe its where they keep all the promo girls I could even get my photo with them

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Festival of the Winds 2013 is on at Emu Park on the 7th April 2013

I have noticed more kites poping up around the coast over the last couple of years perhaps flying a kite is just coming back into style. When we have periods of good winds for a while it does seem to become more popular, I guess if the water is a bit to choppy for swimming people will find other things to do at the beach.

jks what do you do? that top right arrow looks eerily close to a desalination plant I was ment to be concreteing on.

*$econd top right.

hay so no one is keen on a raid to xxxx island over easter? I spoke to a bloke who owns 4 tinnys and a charter boat hes willing to find me some support boats for $$ (i reckon we only need 1 tinny with the owner of boat driving it and 1 guy in the boat who knows about kites.

if no one else from xk is keen ill save myself the embaressment amd wont ask anyone on seabreeze.

Dunno if you would be welcomed with open arms on to a privately leased Island Kozzie. (probably deserted for most of the time anyway) :derisive:

Boating is out for me for a while as my back couldn't handle smacking into the waves at the moment.

hay I only just heard theres actual surfable waves in central queensland. where is big dune? its north of yeppoon right is it apart of farnborough beach? im finding it hard to figure out exactly where it is. and where is the break at emu park? I wouldnt mind a little llplaying around in the waves tommorrow. going to take the boots off maybe try some board offs for a change. bit bored of kiteing alone on farnborough and not really into kiteing near the flags like the locals seem to do.

(Created new Topic for posts about kiting on Capricorn Coast - Split from Yeppoon Easter 2013)

Kozzie you need to go up to Corio Bay for more surf that's where I see most of the surfers, if have a 4WD head out to Bangalee Access ramp just before the Capricorn Resort, hit the beach and head north until you hit Corio Bay, or you can get up there via rough dirt road by driving past the Capricorn Resort.

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&ll=-22.881869,150.776367&spn=0.258106,0.528374&t=h&z=12

The dunes are on the Northern side of Corio Bay along Nine Mile Beach and Five Mile Beach to get there you will need a 4WD and you get there by going out to Byfield and driving through the Byfield National Park out to Stockyard and Water Park Creek. Never been there myself but it is a popular spot fot the 4WD crowd.

• 6 months later...

20knots and no one out kiting. I love QLD :yes3:

Bloody Work ... mutter mutter grumble grumble.

Just for the record most locals go kiting a couple of km's north of the webcams location. The camera is facing East and for landkiting the wind works best when it's blowing SE to E

Sailing Club is near the mouth of the creek south of the caravan park, when we kite on the beach it's from the caravan park up to Sandy Point which is around 20km long.

post-2564-14336633643672_thumb.png

Looking North from the top of the hill above the caravan park (just after high tide) the point near the top of the frame is Bangalee. The range of hills top centre of the frame is the headland on the other side of Cooee Bay on the other side of Sandy Point.

post-2564-14336633644788_thumb.jpg

There is a good width of sand at low tide.

post-2564-14336633645339_thumb.jpg

Don't forget to mention the water crossing if you want to kite the entire 20kms ;)

You mean the complimentary Bath at the start and end of the ride :D

That varies so much, I have seen that not much more than a trickle of water to 4 foot deep and 5+ meters across. Given that we haven't had any decent rain in months here it's probably non existent at the moment.

post-2564-14336633645938_thumb.jpg

post-2564-14336633773325_thumb.jpg

But I have a bit of extra clearance now, my ass should be a bit further out of the water. Failing that a bit of extra buoyancy. :derisive:

post-2564-14336633774002_thumb.jpg

First kite of the season for me today ( and since Easter) WOOOOHOOOOO :D:D:D:D:D:good::good:

Nice to be back in the buggy and down the beach after the last 4 months of work :wall2:

First up, somebody from the BOM should really go point some oil on the Anemometer at the BOM station at Yeppoon 12 to 16 knots it was not more like 20 to 25 knots at Bangalee.

Arrived at the beach around 2:00 and it seemed around 10 to 15 knots so I put up the 12m Speed3 got about 200m and thought this might not be a good idea, obviously my inner anemometer needs recalibration :rolleyes: . Took me until nearly the creek to find a hole in the ripples in the middle of the beach to get down to the smooth stuff down near the waters edge to have enough space to turn around. I had the kite at 11:00 and couldn't put it lower or I was going sideways up the dunes or if I went higher I was going to get airborne and end up in the dunes.

Went to blow off speed with a slide down near the water and I just went sideways at the same speed, got to love having a wide beach at times like that. The pull the kite was generating was awesome, glad the new Midi XL tyres are a much rouder profile and less likely to dig in than my old nearly square midis.

Gingerly made my way back to Bangalee and landed the kite, it was then I noticed the GPS was showing a max speed of 59km/h so a new PB without even trying and that was probably while sideways trying to blow off speed :eek: , must be the new wheels and tyres as it does seem to roll much easier now. Swapped the Speed for the 6m Access and had much more controlled rest of the afternoon doing runs from the creek up to the resort. Stopped and had a chat with Graham (think I got the name right) a local land boarder at one point, nice bloke who was also a bit overpowered on his 12m Peter Lynn.

Midi XL's are great for soldier crab hunting I can stealth up on them now as they make less sound and I can get more crabs per pass with the wider tyres. [insert Ninja Buggy Smiley]

No photos or video as I was having to much fun.

All in all a good afternoon now time for a shower and wash the shorts out :o .

PS. I nearly scored a dog on my first session for the season as well Jabs. Little terrier decided he was going to try to catch me, he didn't try again after the first attempt proved to him my tyres were bigger than him. :derisive: