Spring snowkiting NSW - who's keen?

Icebird

OK, there are a few weeks left in the season in NSW...

The trick is to drive to Charlottes pass now that the road is open, then toddle down to the snowy river (400m away) with a spare pair of sneakers, wade across the river (knee height atm) at then kite up to the Curruthers peak / Mt Twynham area, it's a really speccy area:

P1010378.jpg

The only bit not suitable for beginners is right at the top where the ridge joins the main range, if you are worried you can walk this bit (about 200m)

The Carruthers East natural half pipe is in form right now.

Here is a pic from the area in Mid October 2007

DSCF3174.JPG

Map here:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207430822816324808184.000441bee2ba4ef95d505&msa=0&ll=-36.380523,148.307018&spn=0.087207,0.159473

I'm keeping a close eye on the weather for the next two weekends.

Who's keen?

Let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Got out on the range yesterday,

The river crossing wasn't too bad:

Crossing+Snowy+R.jpg

The kiting started about 300m from the river:

View+W+from+lower+ridge.jpg

The Carruther East gulley was good fun with soft, but not slow snow:

East+of+Carruthers+peak.jpg

The skiing at club lake was good too:

ub+lake+21%3A10.jpg

All done in a day from Sydney.

There is probably a week or two left in the kiting season if you are keen.

• 1 month later...

love the photos mate looks incredible.

I have allways said I wanted to check out the aurora borealis via snowkite with a sled. reckon I could get a little practice up there? have you thought about useing a sled I guess your not traveling thru just there for fun then h

ead back.

Yep - I recommend it:

P1020179_2.jpg

That is what i am talking about!!! My man! Tell me more about this i met a couple people who were in ragnorak and i think i was too intrested and they thought i was just takeing the piss everytime.i brought it up with them hahaha so i just quit while i was ahead. You on the other.hand brother tell me how it all works i hadnt even seen an actually rideable sled version before i just ment the kite snowski with sled on a rope precariously being thrown around behind you. Ive been told you MUST pack the sled with heaviest items on bottom to prevent.roll over and rollover.is.the most agrivateing and annoying thing that happens.

That thing your rideing on tho looks stable as hell but how devil you steer it and what happens in the event of wind drop can you pull it? Allso with the extra weight you need to fly a largely kite correct? What are the conditions you normally face in.australia and how can i get a good go at this? I need to do a snowkite season but im on a serious budget so new board/kite/winter cloths/accomodation adds up so much it keeps getting put off for cheaper alternatives

That is what i am talking about!!! My man! Tell me more about this i met a couple people who were in ragnorak and i think i was too intrested and they thought i was just takeing the piss everytime.i brought it up with them hahaha so i just quit while i was ahead. You on the other.hand brother tell me how it all works i hadnt even seen an actually rideable sled version before i just ment the kite snowski with sled on a rope precariously being thrown around behind you. Ive been told you MUST pack the sled with heaviest items on bottom to prevent.roll over and rollover.is.the most agrivateing and annoying thing that happens.

That thing your rideing on tho looks stable as hell but how devil you steer it and what happens in the event of wind drop can you pull it? Allso with the extra weight you need to fly a largely kite correct? What are the conditions you normally face in.australia and how can i get a good go at this? I need to do a snowkite season but im on a serious budget so new board/kite/winter cloths/accomodation adds up so much it keeps getting put off for cheaper alternatives

Some quick answers:

how devil you steer it?

what happens in the event of wind drop can you pull it?

yes, but better to rest up and be ready to make the most of it the next time the wind blows

IMG_0296.JPG

Sleds are a bit annoying to tow, but there are a few good tricks:

benkiting.jpg

What are the conditions you normally face in.australia and how can i get a good go at this?

Pretty challenging but well worth it actually, most people won't believe this but that's their choice:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207430822816324808184.000441bee2ba4ef95d505&msa=0

In Vic Falls creek and the Bogong high plains can be good too

I need to do a snowkite season but im on a serious budget

Got heaps of quality 2nd hand stuff for backcountry snowkiting, pm me.

tell me how it all works:

Just a lark for fun really, made all the stuff ourselves

PS: I reckon Ragnarok would be annoying - dudes on skidoos with radios telling where to go and when to kite (or not) = Not for me.

There are a few high quality people around who do this every winter, Lach from Newcastle and Marty from Jindabyne are experienced regulars who know most of the backcountry and are consistently at it. I'm a bit choosy with when I go these days.

We let the Kitesled.com website go, couldn't be bothered keeping up appearances.

Cheers,

Pat