grumpy old feckers got me banned

heres jonny

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick question, are cyclists and prams still allowed to use the park?

Most wheeled bans are against powered vehicles, ie with an engine.

Try and get a copy of the actual by-laws (local library should have them) and see exactly how it is worded as to what it says.

i believe when using a kite to pul you about it is clased as an engine unfortunately

^^^^^Yep^^^^^

I always thought power kiting as a form of traction, was classed as a 'motor sport', with the wind/kite being the motor. That being the reason why farmers can't let you use idle land for power kiting as they lose their EU subsidies for such a use? I'm sure I've read that sh*t somewhere??!!

Think positive though, the old guy is likely (hopefully?) to die well before you. And with the imminent cuts, the council employees will be sacked (like dogs) soon? Be patient, son.

Or maybe that's not the way to look at it? :o :o

Edited by Robocourier

Might sound crazy, but why not knock on the silly old guy's door and make friends? Have a pot of tea, pet his mangy old dog and get to know him. He's probobly dying of loneliness and your visit might just stop him from sticking his head in the oven that day. Just maybe, he could go from being your biggest enamy to your biggest friend, you never know.

i know your pissed johnny the same applies at ainsdale you can fly but no wheels unless you have permit but please be careful as not to piss the council too much as it could potentially ruin it further for you and other kiters just ask them why and make a scene with the papers or media as it is a sport and you aint hurting anybody and as for the overweight fat old guy who as rolled over and died already please remember you will be old and miserable one day

bring on 6 o clock when i can go stick 2 fingers up at the grumpy bastard that got me banned from my local ...

I've flown for 3 years with no problems, as have the local paraglider guys ... Only 2 of them anyway ...

Now thanks to someone being hit by a 2 line kite, and the locals residents who live in the flats adjacent to the field complaining, im no longer allowed to landboard there ...

Nothing i've done, but now every time i fly the stupid feck phones the council who came round and told me im not allowed to landboard anymore ...

Now the bit that doesn't make sense ... Im still allowed to fly my huge kites, and jump around, but apparently the byelaw states no landboard or wheeled device or something stupid ...

But again no issues over 3 years with my naturally wind powered device, causing no damage to anything or anyone ... But not allowed anymore ...

So someone was hurt by a kite, but im still allowed to fly them ... Confusing ... But now the council are informed regularly by the grumpy bastard with his shorts round his tits...

So my landboard which wasn't a problem for 3 years is now banned ... But my 16m kite is still allowed ... Even though a tiny one of someone elses hit someone ...

But, on the plus side the council park ranger who came and had a go did say he didn't want to spoil my fun, so he said after 6 everyones gone from the office so come down and roll around cos if anyone complains there's nothing we can do as we're all gone home ...

So come 6 o clock im going to fly and board around and make a stand :)

I wouldn't be bothered if i had another spot nearby, but my nearest useable spot is an hours drive away ... Camber sands ... If only it was closer :o especially since i don't drive yet ...

Anyone know of anywhere else that has had byelaws against wheeled objects removed so they can board and buggy? Or similar stories ...

This is my local spot and i love it to pieces and don't want to have to lose out ...

I feel for you my friend, what a s*it nanny state we live in. In essence due to a small 2 line kite hitting someone (who's to blame there?), they have banned wheels and kites presumably? I think you should write a letter to the councill and complain about the old guy, he' is just trying to spoil our fun, in perspective I have written a paragraph for you:

"As a young person I choose to go powerkiting, making sure at all times it is safe for me and others as I believe this is paramount, if this ban continues I may be forced to wear a hoody and scarft constantly and sit on the wall by the local post office (if there is any) and scare old people picking up there pensions. Now, take this silly ban and stop being such a nanny state because a coffin dodger can't let us have fun anymore...."

And so on, mate if that was me and I got asked to move I would tell them where to go, honestly, I recently have been flying over at Plock Court in Gloucester, and whilst my kite was resting on the floor I was approached by some tennis players from in the sports centre (around 300m from me usual flying spot), they said "Do you mind not flying your kite as it is putting us off", bearing in mind Plock court is probably the most active spot for dog walkers in Gloucester, inevitabaly, dogs bark and make noise, but no, the noise of my Blade swooshing through the sky put them off! I couldnt believe what I was hearing, so I made the point to the players and told them to grow up and get some balls. Bearing in mind the field is owned stricly by the councill and there are always kite flyers on there, no complaints yet.

The point I am trying to make is that people have became so touchy and anti-social they have chosen to distance thereself's from normal society because they believe they are better than us, especially Range Rover sport drivers (personal hatred :D). I think many people will argree with this and in future to anyone reading this realise we are not doing any harm, we are doing our sport we love!

Thanks for reading, goodnite! :D

Tom

I'd say try the papers and local news, get them on your side (lets face it, you're pretty good, it's pretty cool and looks good in pics/video sso they might like the story). Try this BEFORE the story is you acting like a tit and flouting a ban.....

That and get down there every day, flying static (juping etc) to piss the guy off, he'll keep complaining but there is no ban on that!

I've taken a bit of time out from kiting, but when I did used to go across to my local spot (Bidford Meadow, Bidford on Avon in Warwickshire), I can honestly say that we have never had any complaints from anyone. Most people stand and stare in amazement and they seem to like the kites being in the sky, I suppose as long as the field isn't too crowded anyway, which it never is. I feel for ya Johnny, it is soo frustrating when you want to participate in a sport that you love and other people totally ruin it for you. My advice would be, as previously suggested, get a few of your crowd up to the council and see if you can speak to anyone regarding the issues that you have. If they won't speak to you send them letters, email, call them and generally pester them until they listen and come to a compromise.

If that fails then speak to the local media, as I'm sure they will think this is a story worth writing about (COUNCIL IGNORES YOUNG PEOPLE). Perhaps you could even ask the people who use the park what they think of the kiting activity, at least that will show both you and the council what the majority think and it will show the council that you are using your initiative and have a genuine love for the sport. What the hell, the council may even allocate you an area of land to use...

...well we can always dream :)

I hope this helps.

This is so typical of our society today when the youth of today hang around street corners or in the pub with nothing else to do they are called hooligans and yobs and the old farts say “cant they find something constructive to do like sport”. So when they find something to do which is clean healthy fun they are stopped from doing it by the same bunch of old farts who have forgotten how to enjoy themselves.

It is really sad that when people try to do something that doesn’t trouble any else and they are banned, it’s the Councils and government that are to blame they do not provide the facilities (a bloody field) and if there is a field they will find a reason for you not to use it.

My wife and I were at Hengisbury Head on Saturday with my kids well they are 28 & 26 and their other half’s and low and behold a sign has gone up NO four line kites. So I put the kites away having brought them down from London, Bollo**s did I they were out and flying and this from an old fart of 59.

Hoops

One of the paraglider twats came over to me last time I was there asking if we had public liability insurance, just in case we have an accident. He then told me about a couple of their accidents... One involved one of their guys getting entangled with a lamp post which required a fire engine rescue. Another one actually involved a member of the public who was hit. Funny thing is that we kite boarders/buggiers have a 100% clean record as far as I know...

I doubt it, and yes you should have insurance. Good thing is the British buggy club do it for £15 snap a year. Dirt cheap and keeps you out of trouble.

EDIT: BBC is now is now the BPKA who da thunk it!

http://www.bpka.co.uk/memship.php

• 3 weeks later...
I doubt it, and yes you should have insurance. Good thing is the British buggy club do it for £15 snap a year. Dirt cheap and keeps you out of trouble.

Yes, I know we should fly with insurance - I didn't fly when mine last expired until I renewed it. The 100% clean record I was referring to was about us at this particular field - not nationwide