Automatic quick release for buggy

jhn.holgate

Here's an interesting idea worthy of consideration. A way to automatically trigger the quick release should you be lifted out of your buggy. I think the idea might have originally been Jeff's (bigkid on PKF) and this is Popeye's version on his site. I haven't had a play with this myself yet but seems a very good idea.....

http://popeyethewelder.com/informational/automatic-quick-release

Here's an interesting idea worthy of consideration. A way to automatically trigger the quick release should you be lifted out of your buggy. I think the idea might have originally been Jeff's (bigkid on PKF) and this is Popeye's version on his site. I haven't had a play with this myself yet but seems a very good idea.....

http://popeyethewelder.com/informational/automatic-quick-release

I've seen this idea already, its OK, but the thing I don't like about it is that you are physically connected to the buggy.... But I have an idea for a variation that fixes this

I'd rather be attached to the buggy, then attached to a kite and lofted 10m into the air.

You could always use a weak link to attach to the buggy.

Yes, but the point I was trying to make is that its better to be attached to neither.

The problem I foresee is when you forget your attached to the quick release, and try and get out of the buggy, trip over the leash, barf your shins on the buggy and rip your arms out of the shoulders trying to keep hold of the kite that became detached whilst you entangled yourself in the buggy.

Buggy entry and egress are also issues. Ok, if you launch and land the kite whilst in buggy then fine (apart from those that say you should not launch and land whilst in buggy!), but if you launch and land the kite from outside the buggy you have to attach and detach the leash, a task that gets harder to do the stronger the wind and the more you need the leash.

My third dislike for this solution is that it needs QR to be attached to harness, this may just be a personal preference thing.

Its really not a bad idea, and I've been thinking along these line myself for a while, I like the idea to use a killer for the leash...... but.... I don't know, maybe after I've given it a go I'll feel happier about it or find a clue to the solution I'm looking for.

at the end of the day, I just want a better system

• 1 month later...

Has anyone thought about using a trigger shackle?

http://www.tylaska.com/T5.html

T5-SB.jpg

These are designed to release when you insert a "fid" into the trigger mechanism

fids.jpg

Tylaska makes a plug fid that looks like it would be perfect for an auto quick release setup.

http://www.tylaska.com/plugfid.html

plugfids.jpg

plug_fid-direction.jpg

Using option 1 the fid pulls out and releases the shackle at the same time, which means that the pulley, quick release, and line attached to the buggy can all go their separate ways.

This setup could be quite expensive, and they don't make a plug fid for the smallest size shackle they make, but someone with the right tools could make one fairly easily. You could even make one to fit one of the wichard versions.

http://www.wichard.com/menu-Trigger_snap_shackles-0202040200000000-IM.html

i m using this system...

Now that looks really good!

I take it you put your snatch block over the latch then 'oval' the tube to close the latch and when the tube springs back to round it holds the latch closed. Then, if the kite were to pull hard enough, it would deform the tube and release automatically?

Is that how it works?

It looks like you'd even be able to adjust the 'trigger threshold' by tightening that bole to give the 'ovaling' a head start.

I LIKE IT! :good:

Now that looks really good!

I take it you put your snatch block over the latch then 'oval' the tube to close the latch and when the tube springs back to round it holds the latch closed. Then, if the kite were to pull hard enough, it would deform the tube and release automatically?

Is that how it works?

It looks like you'd even be able to adjust the 'trigger threshold' by tightening that bole to give the 'ovaling' a head start.

I LIKE IT! :good:

It looks like a trusty Wichard QR. The end of the bolts fixed in the tube are situated where the rope would usually go. Pulling the tube down would cause the bolts to press the QR mechanism.

The snap latch would be free from the tube, you can even see where the tube has been cut away so that it does not hinder the latch.