sinbad

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, I just checked mine and they are as good as new. :good:

Only hassle is they haven't rotated since the 27th November as I'm injured. I crunched a wing and foot in an OBE. :blush::o

Mine have lived on Pink Lake and our local beaches and still gleam.

I have fractured a front tire when I hit a choc milk carton full of sand and it had built up a ledge of sand in the beach. I didn't see it in my previous 2 runs. The head on with the 200mm high ledge flipped me end over and flattened the tire back and pinched it against the bottom of the front fork (You could see from the blue paint on it). It was a big shit mixer and had no idea what had happened. I went back and dug it up and was surprised with what I found.

I'm a tight arse and the fracture is now on the back facing the inside. The inside wall has a very slight cherry and it's not quite running true. :(

These rim/tires have now done 2,732 kms and the bearings are still great.

I just rinse them with the hose after every outing.

I highly recommend them. :clapping::good::drinks:

Chook

G'day Marty,

I have 1 2.5 inch rim on the front and 2 x 8inch on rear. I have tubes in all and all are blistering at the valve holes. I wash them in fresh water after every outing.

ciao

HEY.......your tubes.... they have metal valves, probably brass, is there metal to metal contact?,

you may be having an galvanic reaction, brass has a galvanic index .55 below aluminium, large enough for a galvanic reacition

yeah, I thought it may be galvanic when first mentioned, but checked and found those rims were tubeless rims and as your pic shows there is a rubber seal on tubeless valves.... but now knowing that he has tubes, and you only need a galvanic potential of .15 in a salt water environment to start galvanizing.

Yeh mine are tubeless valves too!!!!.

The mishap? It was my own fault, I was a dickhead !!!

The wind was cranking and I took off in the buggy. In my haste to get going, I still had the kite stake in my back pocket. (A dice with a 6mm shaft, a bit lethal ). I got distracted trying to get it back into its tube on the front forks while still cruising. The 3.8 Reactor got behind me, as I'd taken my eye off the ball and I got dragged sideways into a seaweed bank at 57kmh on the GPS.

The bug stopped dead and I didn't. As the forks were ripped to full lock I got pulled out over the front right hand side and pulled the ligaments in both sides of my right ankle on impact with the bank. I landed on my shoulder and tore the tendons. The CT scan confirmed I had ripped one tendon off years ago (I can't remember doing it and doctor said this is quite common, as the others were over developed) so the remaining ones were toast.

108kg of chook shit doesn’t bounce. :o

My daughter studied sports science and I'm on her hit list with the exercise program. I now have 90% movement and about 80% strength back. Just aches like hell every night. :mad:

I had Knee, elbow pads and a helmet on with a key chain camera. The video is really piss weak considering the hurt I've suffered. I have now upgraded to a pressure suit to protect me. (I ask my doctor how I can protect myself. He just laughed and said at my age, acres of bubble wrap!!!! He's a bloody good windsurfer.)

I'm feeling like I'm ready to get back into the bug again.

I was very disappointed as I was trying to do 3000 kms in 12 months and had till 21 Dec to achieve it. The injuries totally buggered that dream up.

Now hold ya breath. I know, I know, bloody Wolfie has already given me shit!!!! :shout::tease:

While I've been holed up, I'm building 5 landyachts for "Festival of the wind " held here in Esperance in mid March. It's the Recycle regatta and my fire brigade is running the event on Pink Lake. That’s my excuse and I'm stickin' to it!!!! :D

I'm licking the windows every arvo, when the wind cranks dying to get out in the bug though.

Chook

Far out Chook .... sounds like you were unlucky and lucky at the same time. Especially seeing you had the stake on ya :eek:

I am impressed with your 'quiet' achievements so far ... but maaaaaaaayte ..... PHOTOS ... UPDATES .... C'Mooooon :popcorm1:

As for the corrosion issue ... seems there is a link forming between putting in tubes and getting problems vs the factory supplied tubeless valves and no problems.

Too right, I was bloody lucky.

Well here is a plot of my stuffing around just before I got hurt.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/57855030 If you click the google earth link you can see where I am and also the extensive dunes behind the beach. It's 12 kms from home. It's one of 3 lots of dunes systems around Esperance. It's motor bike heaven.

The beach (Wylie Bay) is usually like road and the sand squeaks under the tires and it's so clean and white, the reflection cooks you without sunscreen.

You can see where I changed from a 5mtr Rebble to a 3.8 Reactor and had one good run before the wind changed direction and became gusty.

On a S/Wester I can use the whole 22 kms right round to Cape Le Grande. My best speed to Le Grande I averaged 72kmh!!!!! Took two days to get the smile of my face. I dont have the plot for it as I only just got the Garmin connect going (Thanks Nocando) before my accident. I just have a flight log of my buggying.

Pink Lake is as flat as a cement slab at the moment as well. I had a walk round it last night after work and there is about 2 1/2 square kms that can be used at the moment without rain.

Gota get my arse into the shed now guys, catch ya later.

Chook

Gee your a nasty bugga sometimes Mr Wolf!!!! :D

I would use my 3.8 Reactor 80% of the time. The 8.3 Reactor I bought, has only done 92 kms in the time I have owned it.

You don't come to Esperance to retire, if you are a wind chime. :P:grin:

The wind in the dunes is very turbulent due to the heavy bush around them and I must admit I struggle to really get going well.

Some of the peaks are are 27mtr above the surounding area. I can get going along them but do a lot of footwork to get back to where I started.

I'm a lasy prick and the beach is nice and flat. ;)

Chook

No.

Are you absolutely sure the valves are non metallic... Ive never seen tubes with non metallic valves.

however, there is a chance the valves are rubber coated, which is why I asked the question about metal to metal contact.

Anyway, having now seen JDs pic Im no longer sold on the galvanic answer, those blisters are either in the coating or parent metal, and galvanic erosion doesn't look like that